New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe following election?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any concerns about travel to Zimbabwe following the elections? Not sure how wide spread the rioting is outside Harare. Flying into Bulawayo in a couple weeks. First time to Zimbabwe for me.

Thanks
Andy

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Communicate with your outfitter. He will know the local news and conditions. Been there a dozen times and seems like there was always something. But I never saw a dangerous situation. If you have a local booking agent, call him. Guys like Mark Young will stay in touch with your PH and other contacts in the area.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No concern at all. I’m also headed into BUQ in 12 days. My PH there says it’s all quite, but in any event they never bother us. I was there during the government change last year and the military was very polite and professional to us. Enjoy!

Posts: 43 | Location: On the road somewhere | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure how wide spread the rioting is outside Harare.

Media coverage tends to make it appear far worse than reality. I would expect any rioting to be quite localised and easily avoided, by your outfitter particularly who will know the local situation.
On my first Zim trip in 2016 I experienced one Police roadblock in which they attempted a shakedown which my PH ( driver ) resisted and we got waved through. I returned from my second trip mid July ( last month ). Police were at some road checkpoints but all waved us through. Not stops at all. Everything was low key. Apart from one or two hoardings you wouldn't have realised elections were only days away.
I would not hesitate to return to Zim. Locals just don't strike me as violence prone at all.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will be in touch with my PH. Just wanted some perspective from people who had been there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least there won’t be a run off. Also, the army might not have accepted an MDC president. Short term, this was the best outcome for the tourist hunter. Long term for the country, who knows.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm is South Africa now and fly to Harare in two days. No negative news from my friends there.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear!
Thx guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like the Zimbabweans are taking a page about protesting election results from the Democrats in the 2016 Presidential elections.

If you don't like the results, riot.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 SAKO

Just had a client return from Bulawayo two days ago. All quiet. Business as usual.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Business as usual in Zimbabwe. If you had been here DURING the violence it would not have affected you.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:
Business as usual in Zimbabwe. If you had been here DURING the violence it would not have affected you.

Exactly!

Muderous Mugabe has been replaced by another murderous criminal!

Business as usual for the man who was instrumental in murdering 20,000 - 30,000 Matabele!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have travelled around the CBD where the trouble was today as well as meeting and greeting 2 sets of clients and can tell you , regardless how one feels about the new president, that all is back to normal.

We all know the Part EM played in our checkered past however personally at the risk of being cussed here I do believe he is the right man to lead us forward taking into account the options we had.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And you guys on the ground, being citizens know the best
Hope things will improve in business area as well

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
I have travelled around the CBD where the trouble was today as well as meeting and greeting 2 sets of clients and can tell you , regardless how one feels about the new president, that all is back to normal.

We all know the Part EM played in our checkered past however personally at the risk of being cussed here I do believe he is the right man to lead us forward taking into account the options we had.

tu2 He may have been a floating egg in the past but only those who have resided in the Dark Continent will know how politics work.

Posts: 2037 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear Saeed, but as someone on the ground in Zimbabwe, trust me, the opposition candidate is a joke. If ED carries on doing what he's been doing over the past 9 months, then the right thing has happened but it may take time to show.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:
I hear Saeed, but as someone on the ground in Zimbabwe, trust me, the opposition candidate is a joke. If ED carries on doing what he's been doing over the past 9 months, then the right thing has happened but it may take time to show.

It took a very long time for things to get as f@!ked up as they are now. The fix can’t happen overnight.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
One would have wished for a decent human being to turn the country around.

Not one of the old school who was instrumental in the country’s disaster.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the opposition candidate is a joke

Why does Malema and his band of thugs come to mind? coffee

Posts: 2037 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote