New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gym
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Started at the Gym about 3 weeks ago, getting ready for a May hunt. Feels great. I'm up almnost 20 lbs so now its time to hit the cardio and be in tip top shape, which is the most important thing anyone can do before a hunt, I went on one hunt in 50% shape and it wasnt as good thats for sure, so plan ahead and get in shape!!!!

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What hunt are you preparing for? We will soon have spring bear season here in Alaska so the workouts have increased since early February (for me) to be ready - stair climbers, bicycle, weights and snow shoeing with a pack - I will be ready - KMule

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Zim in May to shoot a few elephants. I missed 04 so I'll make up for it this year.

I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Work on leg strength and endurance. Do lots of reps of every exercise. Get on a squat machine and do about 40 or 50 at 1 1/2 times your weight.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope he doesn't have to lift the ele!!

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
As you "buff up", don't forget to occasionally practice your 12 ounce curls!
beer

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
LV are you going to shoot that lowly 375H&H gunsmile

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drink lots of Whiskey, it kills the pain...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Ray:

I KNEW that there was a good reason I didn't mind you being my big brother.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
LV are you going to shoot that lowly 375H&H gunsmile

Mike

Yup, thats the gun that will do the deed again this year. I have shot about 200 head of game with it.

It only came up short once on a cow elephant that was a mess and I was behind it whilst it was trying standing up after a bad firsr shot(another good story) and I shot it from behind at a angle and didnt get the penetration I needed a hot 450/a solid would have been a better gun at that time. After seeing that I wouldnt ever use a 375 as a back-up caliber but for a first shot client caliber its the best.

I hope I will have 4-5 elephants lined up by May. I have 3 or 4 now, 3 for sure.

I missed that class.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Drink lots of Whiskey, it kills the pain...

I cant I'm saving my liver for steroids.

I missed that class.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ride a bike! Builds quad strength and cardio.

This is waht the Everest climbers do a lot of...Less pounding on the knees and ankles!

Wear a HRM if you really want to get some fast results...

...Trust me on this, I did it for a living!

Ray - I agree with the Whiskey...Platte valley my favorite...yours?

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Muscle mass is useless for hunting, infact its a problem, conditioning and being light as possible makes for a good hunt.

I missed that class.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff pardon my ignorance, but what is HRM? Thanks

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HRM is an acronym for heart rate monitor, my apologies. I always use one during train-up cycles. Let's me know if I'm loafing / overtraining. I'm a low-tech kinda guy, but make an exception for this device - it works.

Vegas: Nobody said anything about muscle mass..."Quad Strength" does not translate into mass.

At the end of the day: Optimal strength to weight ratio in order to maximize endurance is the key. Mesomorphs win again!

Before I go on a prolonged hunt, I do several long "Fam" walks with the gear I'm planning to use e.g. heavy rifle. Makes a big difference - muscle memory - try it.

Good luck with your quest and hat's-off to you for being fitness minded!

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody said anything about muscle mass..."Quad Strength" does not translate into mass.

I know that, I have been into bodybuilding/fitness for 12 years and weigh 260 plus right now(i'm not fat). It was just a comment. However there is a direct correleation between strength and mass.

I missed that class.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vegas,

260, geeze! Since you gave us your CV, here's mine: I was first a Wrestler, then a collegeate Rugby player (2nd row), then a full-time competitive cyclist (was never world class, but was a dangerous guy in the local circles). Now 42, still manage to whip-up on the young'ns now and again on rides / runs( mandatory, I have 2 sons).

OK, we're done piss'n on the trees!

I found out the hard way (as I'm sure you have) "Gym" muscles are virtually useless in the field. Was hovering around 230 during my Rugby days. One of my training buds was the Jr. National Pwr. lifting champ (Rob Wagner) & got me pretty strong for a tall guy. I started riding, then climbing & got my ass kicked! Too big and strong in the wrong places.....Found out that strength to weight ratio was the sole deciding factor in who's gonna get the check (bike racing lingo)...this is of course in reference to endurance sports..not hunting, but has relevance to this discussion.

Now, I've backed down to a manageable 215, got off the weights, started a hybrid of a SEAL buddy's training program and the rest is history.

However, you have to admit, when humping around an 11 lb rifle all day - it ain't gonna hurt to have a little "mass" to sustain the effort.

Back to the original point of this discussion....good luck on your fitness and shooting.

260 - I'd hate to have to feed you on an expedition,much less Piss you off! For you big boy....CARDIO!

It's all good brother!

Glad we can have this dialog!

Good luck on the Tuskers this season.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ususally hunt at around the low 250's. Gym muscle is the most usless thing there is in the field its like tits on bacon.

Its almost impossible for me to get below 247 because of too many "supplements" over the years. Even after hunting for 30 days straight in 03, eating clean and no weight training just cardio in the field I still weighed 248 at the airport at Vic Falls.

I do an hour a day of cardio for 4-6 weeks before a hunt(I didnt once) and eat right. I'm a bit heavy now because I have been bulking up I hit 263 the other day which feels terrible, I'll be down to 250 come May.

I wish I could be 150 before a hunt and 275 at the beach but thats impossible.

I missed that class.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW for my size I'm the weakest guy you'll ever meet. LOL

I missed that class.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vegas,

"Supplements" I allllmost went down that road,but decided that there were too many risks. I was a Bio major in school and there was a good bit of data available even back then, so I stayed clear - glad I did.

I do have the same issue as you though. They'd have to skin me and remove parts to get me under the 200-205 mark - the old gym days haunting me. Funny thing, a few years back me and a couple of climbing buddies got into piss'n contest to see who could get the lowest bodyfat in 6 weeks.
I got down to just above 6% and stil weighed 205! After my last expedition in Bolivia 21 days sustained in the field...still over 200.

We're sort of in the same boat!

Try splitting your cardio into 2 shorter sessions a day versus one long one. This helps prevent the "rollercoaster" effect so many folks experience.

Oh, and eat lots of "good" carbs, no BS - they're excellent for energy levels!

Good luck - stay strong!

Jeff