New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sharpsguy visit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sharpsguy came by for a visit today and was kind enough to bring one of his Sharps Business Rifles as well as a DVD of a Plains Game hunt he did in The Eastern Cape a few years back.

Had a great visit and got his specs updated while he was here. Thanks for coming by and bringing the video and rifle. My only regret is that work kept calling me away. Oh well, got to earn a living so I can get back to Africa again soon.

Keep the wind in your face and good hunting till I see you again....mike

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eyedoc, Bill has been out to the ranch a couple of times. We've hunted some and shot a lot. I've also shot quite a bit of silhouette with him. I wish he lived closer so we could spend more time on my range. He has an amazing knowledge base when it comes to black powder cartridge rifles. As a matter of fact, he helped me set the specifications on my first black powder round ball rifle.

He's welcome out here anytime.

josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pay a lot of attention to my glasses, as I shoot with open iron sights. This is the first time I have ever met eyedoc, and the first pair of glasses he has ever done for me. No ifs, ands, or buts, eyedoc has given me the finest vision I have had since I started wearing glasses over thirty years ago. Now, I can truly see to shoot.

Eyedoc is the real deal. I got to see the video of his elephant and cape buffalo hunts, and he and Karl were REALLY CLOSE to several young bull elephants on three or four occasions. Heady stuff.

My African experience does not include DG to this point, but I am hoping to rectify that. It is significantly less than the time eyedoc has spent over there, and most of his has been with archery tackle. In spite of this, eyedoc was kind enough to take the time to share some of his DG experiences with me and to tolerate the enthusiasm of a newbie with a Sharps rifle.

The fact that someone with his experience base WANTED to see a DVD of someone's first African safari and watched it from start to finish says a lot about the kind of guy he is.

I had a great day, and got a landmark set of glasses. It doesn't get much better than that.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Guys Bill B. (Sharpsguy) is a top of the line gentlemen, and his wife is a real angle, and a very good cook too I might add.

Bill, that double rifle I traded you out of is still in my vault and I have never even loaded it. I did get some molds made for hollow based mini bullets, and one for a round ball. I guess I'll start working on it next week. Any idea about a starting powder load, for the round ball? With it's long twist I don't think it will handle the miniball bullet, what do you think?

Hey Doc sorry I didn't mean to hyjack your thread!
..................homer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac--Thanks for the flowers. I would start with 90 grains of 2F for the round ball and 120 grains of 2f for a 460 grain Maxi ball. Either charge/bullet combination will put you at about 1200 fps and will be a deer/hog killing machine in the 58 caliber double.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
Mac--Thanks for the flowers. I would start with 90 grains of 2F for the round ball and 120 grains of 2f for a 460 grain Maxi ball. Either charge/bullet combination will put you at about 1200 fps and will be a deer/hog killing machine in the 58 caliber double.

Thanks Bill, I'll giver her a try! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote