Find
Notify
Tools

Best PH's ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Yestarday night, while reading Ruark, he says that Selby, being only 27th, was considered the best east african PH in those days.

I imagine there must be hundreds of great PH's around, but which ones are considered today the "top ten" ??

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lots of gret one around, but I would have to bet on robin hurt coming up as #1

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think a fair list can be made without some parameters being established. Do you mean PHs who are actually hunting and in their "prime" now or men who were some of the all time greats and are alive but not actively hunting now? I think it depends on what country you are hunting in and what game you are after. IMHO you might be able to pick the top PHs in a particular country who are actively hunting now but I don't think you could fairly pick the top PHs in Africa.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
And many PH's work in more than one country, just to add to the complication of deciding who is "best".

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about any PH your are comfortable with and enjoy hunting with. This would be my choice vs a "famous" PH with whom you just could not abide hunting with.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everybody knows my favorite, Pierre van Tonder...

I also think the world of Allan Vicente and his dad Roy...

But these folks are friends, and that is what a a PH should be most of all, a friend..the rest is the easy part...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll go with John Wayne any day

jump

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Best PH and friend?

No 1: Ken Stewart jump
Permanent member No 92 of East African Proffesional Hunters Association. Good friend of Harry Selby.

Sitting at the campfire listening to Kens stories from the East African days when he hunted with A J Hunter, Ken Randall, T. Carr-Hartley, D. Collins, N. Reid and George Smart among others. thumb

Or when he as a young boy and hunter meet John "Pondoro" Taylor.

No 2: David Brooke, Kens longtime friend and also with East African blood beer

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there are probably a ton of great PH's. Names that come to mind for me for good Zim DG PH's are:

Andrew Dawson
Ian Gibson
Russ Broom
Buzz Charlton (sp?)
Peter Barnard
Andy Hunter
Mike Payne
Neil (?) Duckworth

Heck, I also met some PH's around the campfire that seemed pretty good (at least their clients seemed to think so at the time).

Kevin ? (HHK)
Mitch ? (HHK)
Dirk DePloy (sp?)

All these guys (except Russ Broom) hunt Chewore/Zambezi valley and seem to know their stuff when it comes to DG hunting. I have only personally hunted on two safaris and both times with Ian Gibson (he is the worst of the lot, but I feel sorry for him Big Grin).

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lorenzo:
Yestarday night, while reading Ruark, he says that Selby, being only 27th, was considered the best east african PH in those days.

I imagine there must be hundreds of great PH's around, but which ones are considered today the "top ten" ??[QUOTE]

Ruark must have had a full bottle or two before writing that sort of rubbish.

There is no such thing as "best PH in Africa".

There is no criteria for judgement.

Yes, I know SCI picks PH of the Year, and so far they have picked some real lemons. In fact, from their past performance, I would go as far as saying I would NOT hunt with anyone who gets this title from them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68612 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
lots of gret one around, but I would have to bet on robin hurt coming up as #1

bull

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is like asking who was the top 100 clients ever. You will never be able to get the real answer.

Wimpie
Also a PH

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen,
My english is not very good and I noticed because some replies that maybe I wasnt too clear.

Maybe I should have asked if there was such a thing like a top ten list or something similar among the phs community, mostly thinking in old glories still roaming around.

Not an important issue either, I think we should forget this thread, it seems I am having too much spare time these days.. Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:

Maybe I should have asked if there was such a thing like a top ten list or something similar among the phs community, mostly thinking in old glories still roaming around.

How about John Sharp.

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After hunting with Pierr'e Van Tonder in both South Africa and Zimbabwe, I not only consider him an outstanding PH, but a good friend. The photo here is of Pierr'e and JudgeG working hard at scouting for game from a hide near a waterhole. It is always exctiting to see true sportsmen at work!!

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote