THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia:Jumbo sized meal for Gam residents

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia:Jumbo sized meal for Gam residents
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201111300638.html

Jumbo Sized Meal for Gam Residents

Irene !hoaës

30 November 2011

Windhoek — Gam residents in the Otjozondjupa have been feasting on meat from a trophy hunted elephant over the past two days.

This was possible through the Ondjou Conservancy, which availed the elephant on request from conservancy members.

According to the chairperson of the Ondjou Conservancy, Jonas Kauheva, the conservancy allocates elephants for trophy hunting, through which the conservancy derives income, as well as at least two elephants for "own use", as requested by conservancy members.

At least 300 Gam residents each got a chunk of elephant meat, which lasted them for at least two days. Kauheva would not say how old the bull elephant that was killed by trophy hunters was.

Conservancy members asked that the elephant be slaughtered for "own use" or consumption but mostly children ate the meat, compared to adults.

"You see some people are Christians and do not eat this meat, also because of its smell," Kauheva said. Some residents confirmed Kauheva's statement that they do not eat elephant meat.

"I don't like elephant meat! An elephant is supposed to be conserved," said Zohunda Marenga, a resident of Gam. Another resident, Kauna Tuahuku, said he does not eat elephant meat because he is a Christian.

"We must not eat such animals. Some scriptures in the Bible say we must not eat such animals as elephants, warthogs and ostriches," Tuahuku said without elaborating.

Some members of the community reportedly believe that elephant meat is "made out of a lot of different meat, including human meat". Occasionally, conservancy members also benefit from the meat of oryx, eland and kudu.

The conservancy chairperson said the conservancy is doing well, although they have incidences of human, wildlife conflict, (HWC). The Ondjou Conservancy paid out N$52 000 for HWC, from the N$60 000 it received from the Game Product Trust, through the Ministry of Environment and Tourism.

Predators such as wild dog, hyena, leopard, caracal and jackal killed 300 livestock.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We must not eat such animals. Some scriptures in the Bible say we must not eat such animals as elephants, warthogs and ostriches," Tuahuku said without elaborating.

I don't believe that's in there.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
Hell, just shows you, he has a different Bible...Africa THE DARK CONTINENT...

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SL & Bushwack

There is a scripture which mention said animals - had a argument with a friend who did not want to eat warthog due to said scripture, and she actually showed me the passage. Will look for it over the weekend and revert. IIRC it is in the Old Testament.

RM

Posts: 27 | Location: Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Hentie van Heerden
posted Hide Post
It is true that the Herero and some Damara (especially the older generation – in Damaraland) speaking people in Namibia do not prefer eating Elephant meat. According to the elders it’s based mainly on their traditional believes but the younger people are “allowed” to consume such meat. Personally I would think / know that Elephant meat grilled directly on an open fire is REALLY though. For that reason the older people have difficulty chewing the meat.
These tribes derive their existence from breeding cattle, goat and sheep in arid areas.
Who is going to choose a piece of Elephant meat over a piece of tender fat sheep or goat???
Might not make sense to residence living in a first world country or people that have heard of fatty meat and heart disease!
After delivering the first Elephant hunted in Ondjou Conservancy to the community in 2009, we realized the people do “want” the meat. After discussions with the Conservancy we decided to bring all Elephant meat to Gam for distribution. There is only one school in Ondjou Conservancy situated in Gam. The kids are absolutely wild for the meat! It gives some relive / satisfaction to drive into Gam with a load of Elephant meat and hundreds of kids come running, some in their school uniforms to collect a piece of meat. It became so wild that the Conservancy had to step in and distribute the meat orderly. We try to make a point of bringing clients along for one distribution load, so they can see to what good use the meat are going from the Trophy or Own Use Elephant hunted by them.
We hunt Ondjou Conservancy, located just south of Nyae-Nyae Conservancy or also known as Bushmanland. It’s known as Bull country, a couple of 100 lbs has been hunted by Kai-Uwe Denker in Bushmanland over the years with an official average of 74 lbs for the last 11 or 15 years.
The area is close to 9000 square km’s with very little open water for wildlife and close to no roads. For the 3 years that the area has received a trophy Elephant on quota, the average is 63 lbs.

Meat Distribution Pictures

Hunting Namibia

Posts: 19 | Location: Africa | Registered: 22 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes it is, Old Testament and says something about not eating the flesh of that which cloveth the hoof but cheweth not the cud.

It is something like that. Basically the reference was made regarding swine. While I will be told how wrong I am, the Old Testament showed the link between the early Christian faith and the jewish faith.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
How does that relate to the ostrich?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Maybe something to do with..."it flyeth not" Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Yes it is, Old Testament and says something about not eating the flesh of that which cloveth the hoof but cheweth not the cud.

It is something like that. Basically the reference was made regarding swine. While I will be told how wrong I am, the Old Testament showed the link between the early Christian faith and the jewish faith.

The whole of Leviticus chapter 11 deals with clean and unclean animals. Of course, unless Mr. Tuahuku is a Jew it really doesn't apply, that was a law for the Jewish people until Christ and is not applicable today. Wink

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

ledvm, its in there (Leviticus 11:16), but again its a moot point.

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Different translations and/or Bible versions sometimes list ostriches and others list owl in this verse.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
Different translations and/or Bible versions sometimes list ostriches and others list owl in this verse.

I wonder if ostriches are listed simply as a mistake in translation. It appears to be that birds of prey and scavengers are listed along with certain marine birds because of the possibility that they would feed upon animals deemed "unclean".

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanz2007:
The whole of Leviticus chapter 11 deals with clean and unclean animals. Of course, unless Mr. Tuahuku is a Jew it really doesn't apply, that was a law for the Jewish people until Christ and is not applicable today.

I think you're saying it doesn't apply to Christians since the only persons the Old Testament would apply to would be Jews and Christians. There is quite a bit of confusion on this. There are 3 general classes of Old Testament laws; the moral law, the levitical law and the ceremonial law.

Once you know the reasons behind the various laws you'll know that Christians that ignore certain Old Testament laws today have no Biblical basis for their position.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:

I wonder if ostriches are listed simply as a mistake in translation. It appears to be that birds of prey and scavengers are listed along with certain marine birds because of the possibility that they would feed upon animals deemed "unclean".

It doesn't appear to be a mistake or bad translation. The word ostrich (הַיַּעֲנָה) is in the Hebrew text.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good question Lane. I think some of the others hit on it, or maybe because of the shape of its feet?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the New Testament, God gives Peter permission to eat any and all animals. Acts 10:9-16. Verse 15 God says "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean." NIV It seems odd that people are starving to death and won't eat meat that is readily available to them. Just my thoughts

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well I'll be! It has been a while (20 years) since I have read the Old Testament other than the odd verse discussed in church...but...I would have bet a new shiny penny that it did not specifically mention and ostrich.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy W Martin:
In the New Testament, God gives Peter permission to eat any and all animals. Acts 10:9-16. Verse 15 God says "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

You need to put that text into context. The animals symbolized the gentiles who up to that time had been considered unclean by the Jews. It indicated to Peter that he had do discard his notion of unclean gentiles and not that it was then OK to eat any animal.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
Originally posted by Randy W Martin:
In the New Testament, God gives Peter permission to eat any and all animals. Acts 10:9-16. Verse 15 God says "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

You need to put that text into context. The animals symbolized the gentiles who up to that time had been considered unclean by the Jews. It indicated to Peter that he had do discard his notion of unclean gentiles and not that it was then OK to eat any animal.

True it needs to be looked at in its context, but that is not the only passage in the NT that addresses this issue. Romans 14:14, 20; 1 Corinthians 10:25; 1 Timothy 4:4, these all deal with the eating of meats/animals and in their respective contexts teach that no animal is unclean.

This could go on and on though and should probably be either moved to a different section or brought back to the topic of "African Big Game Hunting"

Sooooo, how does elephant taste anyway? Big Grin