Find
Notify
Tools

New calibre in RSA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted
As some of you know I am busy building a 416 Rigby. It took me about 18 months to apply and get the licence approved. Last week Friday I picked up my licences and got the shocker of my life.

The type is a Component: barrel and the calibre is barrel.

Question now is where will I get brass and bullets for this new calibre and it will be one hell of a job to do load develepment. I might be able to duplicate the 416 Rigby rotflmo

Jokes aside, according to the new law I am not allowed to posses a barrel only, but a license was issued to posses it. How can you be employed by CFR if you do not have a basic knowledge of the different calibre's available in RSA. What happened to quality controll.

When I enquired about my wife's compitancy application, I was told that if there is not an application for a firearm with it, they do not treat it with urgency. At the time my wife applied for her competancy we were informed that you cannot apply for a new firearm unless your competancy was issued, which was by the way the wrong info.

There are a very few competant people at CFR, the rest are a lot of morons.

I have it sorted out and the correct license(hopefully) was issued yesterday, I should get it on Thursday. Looking back all you can do is laugh, however that is not how I felt on Friday, I did throw all my toys out of the cot and then turnred the cot over.

Most of you should be glad you don't have to go through all this BS to get a firearm license

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaco Human:

The type is a Component: barrel and the calibre is barrel.

Jaco, not being familiar with the RSA licencing terminology, I don't know what this means, or what the problem you had was all about. If you need some load data with Somchem powders for the 416 Rigby, I've got some.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jaco,

Look on the bright side, brother - you got a licence. I've been waiting 17 months for any news about my competency certificate and 8 licence renewals. I probably overloaded some pea-brain in Pretoria and short-circuited the works.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Jaco

This is a symptom of the same problem ...

This lad has a problem!

Johan

One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rikkie:
Jaco,

Look on the bright side, brother - you got a license.

Dam right - just be glad you got your license. I am still waiting since Feb 2005, it has been in for consideration for 2 months (the last step) and on top of it they can still decline the license. My rifle also a .416 Rigby and has been finished at Magnum arms in Nelspruit since Oct 2005. Then you phone CFR and you talk to someone that couldn't get a job as a road sweeper so CFR gave him one as Public Relations Superintendent Mad

In fact "Matric Examsion" could be his name........

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you think they were trying to write 'exemption' or 'examination' or a new combo word that marries the two!!!

Ah yes, the world runs smoothly when the correct word is in the correct Field in the Data base!! Roll Eyes

Cheers

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
All those South Africans who have a problem with their licenses, call 012-3536000 and ask to speak to Director Jaco Bothma. I did it 3 times. If you complain with the right person, things get done. If we keep on phoning Jaco Bothma with our problems he will sooner or later realise the extent of the problem. If I heard it correctly he said that the renewing of a license should not take longer than 90 days. We should stand together and keep on calling him. They might realise their elephant is to big for their gun hammering

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
Jaco

Thanks for the contact - he has bee in a "meeting since Tuesday" but I will continue to try

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
if any of you guys battling for your licences are members of Phasa, Chasa or SA Hunters, or one of the independtly accredited hunting asociations then chat to your executive. They have a forum which deals with CFR and get some good results.
later,

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I appreciate that I have a different kind of licence to most of you guys, but the last time I changed a rifle for one of a different calibre, the CFR couldn't have been more helpful. They told me it would take 6 weeks to process the paperwork, and it did, and they called me once a week to tell me how the application was progressing. Eeker

Y'know on a completely different subject and absolutely nothing to do with the CFR, Wink it's amazing how much you can achieve when you send a woman a bunch of flowers and tell her how much you appreciate her help. Wink Wink jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I appreciate that I have a different kind of licence to most of you guys, but the last time I changed a rifle for one of a different calibre, the CFR couldn't have been more helpful. They told me it would take 6 weeks to process the paperwork, and it did, and they called me once a week to tell me how the application was progressing. Eeker

Y'know on a completely different subject and absolutely nothing to do with the CFR, Wink it's amazing how much you can achieve when you send a woman a bunch of flowers and tell her how much you appreciate her help. Wink Wink jumping

You old smoothie, Steve Big Grin thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's no point getting old, if you don't get crafty!......... Wink

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Steve,
that is now considered to be a bribe at CFR, no kidding.
A colleague sent a promotional mousepad to the people he deals with at CFR for normal Christmas gifts, value about R25 ($3.50), Another sent a box of chocolates to someone who helped him, and another was sent a packet of biltong. In all instances an investigation was held into allegations of corruption.
Go figure!

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This string makes me all the more thankful I am a US citizen, and life member of the NRA. I just returned from RSA and had to spent a few days getting my blood presure down!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I received the corrected license today. I must thank a lady Loryn who sorted out my problem within 2 hours. The corrected license was printed on Monday and was picked up on Wednesday by the DFO in our region. They informed me this morning that it was ready to be picked up.

Die Ou Jagter,
We are so used to all the BS overhere that our blood pressure does not rise anymore. If you live here you know where to go and what to do to get what you want. It does not help much to get upset, they just ignore you then.

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Aai kerels ek is nou amper op fyn draai my competancy is al inNov 2004 ingehandig het dit Feb gekry my nuwe wapens is nou op finale goedkeuring.

ons sien ook dat daar n versnelling in die goedkeuring proses is meer en meer aansoeke en competancies kom deur by ons vereniging se lede.

ek volg my aansoeke al die laaste 4 maande en dit help om elke week te bel.

ek moes 2 van my 3 aansoeke weer stuur hulle het die oorspronklikes verloor so maak vir jou copies

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote