New
Find
Notify
Tools

follow-up scope question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First, thanks to all who gave input re:scoping a .375; very helpful (even though I didn't start that thread) It seems when scopes for Africa are discussed, those w/large bells- 50 or 56mm- are not discussed. I'm wondering why. I realize they sit too high on SOME guns. I have a Kahles 3.5-10x50 on a .270WSM BLR and love it, an easy to use 300+-yard rifle. Should I not put a similar, large light-gatherer on a DG rifle,even if it "fits" well?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The trouble is they never fit well, they are too big and heavy and don't provide any benefit. Plus there is some evidence that the extra weight puts more stress on the mounts during recoil. Also a lot of people, phs included, assume anybody showing up with a giant scope is inexperienced or otherwise somehow suspect.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never say never! My scope fits great, that large bell gives a wide field of view and really makes the most of low light. As for what the PH initially thinks, he'll learn.From reading these forums, it seems some guys will only take "accepted" or traditional rifles for fear of not fitting in or being looked at as being different...Isn't all that conformity stuff supposed to dissipate by late adolescence?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
that large bell gives a wide field of view

Sorry. While it can be debated whether the size of the object is important to a woman's sexual satisfaction, the size of a scope's objective has nothing at all to do with its field of view.

As to other qualities offered by an outsized objective lens, Africa is generally a pretty "well lit" continent. By that I mean that in most places you have abundant sunlight; and all of the hunting I did was well after dawn and well before dusk. The only possible advantage of a 50mm objective over a smaller one is when the light conditions are marginal for shooting (and even then, the quality of the optics may be more important than the size of the objective/exit pupil). Use your 50mm scope if that's what floats your boat, but its extra bulk and weight, along with its overly-high mounting position on many guns, will almost always more than offset any perceived advantages in what we so fippantly call "light gathering".

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience it is rare your PH does not glass the animal to determine sex, age and suitability as a trophy before you shoot. If he can't see the animal to evaluate it, you don't shoot. I have not hunted Namibia but most of Zimbabwe is a maximum of 150 yards for your shot. You simply don't need the big scope and are served well by a 2.5x8 or 1.75x6 without the extra weight. I would much prefer an illuminated reticle to light gathering capabilities!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is important to consider that the best rifle and scope combo is one you know like the back of your hand. To me this means one that I will not only use while on safari, but also while hunting at home. Therefore my ideal .375 scope must not be good only for buffalo in thick cover, but also for springbuck on a wideopen hillside in the highveldt, whitetails in the dark woods in the last few minutes of shooting light or 300 to 400 yards across a bean field, for elk across a canyon, caribou on the tundra, even varmint control on my dad's farm.

The best rifle and scope combo is therefore a very individual and personal choice. Listen to everyones advice carefully, filter out what you think applies to your own personal needs, then make up your own mind.

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best scope for a DG hunt is the one that you can shoot well with, that holds its zero on the gun that you use and that does not go bust when it gets a bump. If it is a Chinese replica or a Nightforce it does not matter.

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
There is nothing like a large bell, high magnification, top quality scope such as a Swarovsky for last minute shooting near dark at longer ranges. Last year I shot both a leopard and a lion at last light with a 3 x 9 x 40 trijicon with a lighted reticle and was really impressed. This scope made the cats crystal clear in fading light at 85 yds. Like I said I was thoroughly impressed.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
the quality of the optics may be more important than the size of the objective/exit pupil)

Agree 100%. You will likely see more of a difference with the coatings on and the quality of the glass than just exit pupil. And everyone's experience will be different. For me, Swarovski is 'brightest', followed by Nikon, followed by Leupold, then Zeiss and way at the bottom Burris. I think Swarovski is tops because they have the tiny light baffles inside that do not allow light to bounce around and that helps keep the light rays moving straight into your eye, the same effect F22 has on a camera lens.

Also, scopes do not gather light, they transmit it. If a ray of light does not enter the objective, it can't reach out and grab it. It's a light bucket, if you will.

Others see things differently due to their individual build. In fact, my eyes see colors slightly different (left, more blue) so even I would (and do) perceive a difference between scopes just between my left/right eye.