THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Additional thoughts on rifles for my PG hunt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Additional thoughts on rifles for my PG hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Original post:

Posted 07 December 2008 19:44
My wife and I are headed to SA in Aug of 2009 for a plains game hunt to include Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra, Impala,Blue Wildebeast, Red Hartebeest, Warthog, Blesbok, and Steenbok. We thought of taking two rifles since both of us will be hunting, one a 375 H&H, the other a 300WSM. Do you feel these would be appropriate for the listed animals, or should a third rifle be taken as a backup, most likely a 7mm Rem mag.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
My new question is whether my Browning Micro in .308 would be a good choice. I use this rifle for whitetail, and shoot well with it out to 200 yards, IMO. My concern would be with its 20 in barrel not taking advantage of the full 308's powder charge.

Thoughts?

Meat Eater.

Posts: 120 | Location: Northern Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of the rifles mentioned with good ammunition and shot placement will work fine.

Get in good shape and practice with the shooting sticks.

Posts: 43 | Location: PW County, VA | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would leave the .375 home and take any two of the others, including the .308. South African plains game really doesn't need a .375, except for maybe Eland, and I personally think a .300 magmum is fine for that as well. My South African PH likes to handload 180 grain bullets in a 30-06 to 2400 fps for plains game (2700 is factory velocity).

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The 308 should be adequate for everything except eland with Barnes or other premium bullets. Mrs Blacktailer has used hers on zebra with 165gr TSX loaded to 2700fps and I used it for all the smaller stuff on our last trip to Tanzania. Her Kimber Super America is what I used on the impala below.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The 308 with a TSX will tear up all that you shoot.. I shoot a little Rem 600 with 18.5 barrel and you can shoot out to 300 without a problem...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The seven with 160 A Frames will work like a laser, if you hit the vitals, of course.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Unless you just want to take the 375, go w/ the 300wsm & the 308 as backup. Most of your shots will be under 250yds & w/ good premium bullets, 180gr in the 300 & 165gr in the 308, either will work fine.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
what fred and retreever said Smiler

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote