Find
Notify
Tools

Potentially Deadly Situation
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
Carr and others have shared all kinds of pre-trip advice, but after years of hunting, some of us take a few things for granted (okay I do, maybe you don't). At any rate, I was playing around with my culling belt, and loading it up with rounds, and I noticed that a couple rounds looked a little longer than the others.

These are factory, Federal Premium Safari Solids. Sure enough, I took some of each and loaded my magazine, and cycled the rounds. Each of the longer looking ones would not feed smoothly! It's too late and I'm too tired to dig out my calipers, but that millimeter or so is enough to create a possibly dangerous situation during my upcoming elephant hunt.

Just a friendly reminder that if you are planning on a dangerous game hunt, be sure to cycle EVERY single round you plan on taking just to make sure they all feed properly from the magazine.

This has been a public service message from Mark "if it can go wrong it will happen to me" Jackson.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Good advice!

Just wait, in a very few days, you, too, will be chilled out, a buff in the salt, enjoying the Southern Cross and a nice sundowner and will have forgotten all the pre-angst!

Good traveling and success with your hunt! Just make sure to cycle your passport, too! Razzer

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I have been cycling all my hunting ammo through both of my rifles for years before they are packed to go.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Another good reason why I think a good carefully built handload is superior to just believing that the factory loads are OK!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Great advice Mark.

EVERY round that will leave with me gets cycled from the magazine, through the chamber and onto the bench. Those rounds are boxed separately and set aside for packing on the trip.

I'd read that before I went the first time and followed that advice but apparently my hunting partner DIDN'T. He got a round stuck in his chamber during a follow-up on a wounded buffalo. Evidently the bullet was oversized (it later had to be DRIVEN out of the chamber from the muzzle end) even though it was provided by one of the best known custom loaders.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always, and especially with your double rifles...Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Mark,

I have been cycling all my hunting ammo through both of my rifles for years before they are packed to go.

That is the benefit of OLD AGE and wisedom Saeed. I'm still a young buck of 46 years old. I don't have as much experience as you!! dancing

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Ray said.

Dutch

Just sittin' in the gutter sluggin' rats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another ltiile tid bit is to check the length of the ammo after you get to Africa. Esp. with compressed loads if your crimp is not tight enough your bullets may move forward after you have tried them in your action and think everything is just fine. It is the little things that can get you killed.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Also, remember to rotate ammo in the magazine box of your BA big bores on a regular basis. Too often we cram a fresh round or two on top of the rounds already in the mag. They sit there and get the recoil from shot after shot which can actually drive the bullet deeper into the case creating a compressed round! A simple daily rotation moving ammo from the bottom of the mag to the round in chamber can clear this up before it ever becomes an issue!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sew the bottom of your culling belts closed is also good advise, I notice that as of late you can buy them that way..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay Ray, I'll bite. Why sew the culling belt loops closed? I specifically looked for one with open bottoms after I got tired of emptying water, twigs, leaves, dirt and bugs from my closed one.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased 200 rounds of brass for my 470 NE they were stamped Rigby. Saved 30 brass for Africa last August, loaded ammo and then ran through Merkel double, guess what, two had slightly thicker rims then the other 170, of course they were the ones going to Africa.

If I hadn't checked them I know I would have needed a fast reload and gotten a thick rim and not been able to close the action.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote