New
Find
Notify
Tools

What distance to sight in
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I anticipating getting a new 416 Rigby for an Africa hunt and am wondering what range to sight it in; 100? 200?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
knowing your skill with a rifle I would suggest a modest 7 feet

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I shot my 458 Lott at 100yds and after I got a group of 5 inside of a 2 inch circle..I stopped and shot from 75 yds in..50 40, 30, 20, 10, 5yds so I knew where my bullet went exactly...I never fired another at 100yds. I even shot at 200 just to know where it hit...
I took my bull ele at 30feet...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It depends on where in Africa & what particular species you plan to hunt. For example if you plan to hunt the thick bush as is found in the lowveld or Zambezi Valley you should sight in at fairly short range..... if you plan to hunt springbok in the Kalahari then a much longer range.

Probably the best thing to do is wait until you've decided on an area & an outfitter & then ask their advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I anticipating getting a new 416 Rigby for an Africa hunt and am wondering what range to sight it in; 100? 200?

For all around DG and PG use, I would go with 1 inch high at 100 yards.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I had mine sighted in 1.5"@ 100 yards, even though EVERYBODY told me that I would be shooting buff at 60 yards or less, Well guess what> SHot mine at 125 yards and I was glad I had it sighted in as stated. I still knew the POI at 25 and 50, but you never know. It was hitting right on at 200 BTW with 400gr Swifts. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sight my big bores rifles in 1" to 1.5" high at 100 yards. My medium and light rifles 2.5 high at 100........works for me.

A big bore sighted as above should be the same at 50 yards, at least mine are..I want to see that buggers eye at 25 and put a hole in it. If I can see the eye above my sights, he should be toast..At least one of us will be.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Ray:

As old and stringy as you are, no carnivore worth a shit would want to eat you. Just throw some Meow Mix out there... and act submissive

Now buffalo... shooting them in the eye ain't a bad idea. I've held up PETA literature during a charge, and that'll stop them as surely as a .416 solid in the brain.

All these great suggestions are in my new book:
HOW TO ALMOST SURVIVE A SAFARI

Back OT:
I absolutely agree with Ray and Jorge. 1.5" at 100 yards will keep your bullets where they need to be... particularly if you need to use that scope at 25 yards or so.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I also have my Rigby sighted in 1" high at 100 yards and rarely have to shoot that far when I am carrying it! But in the miombo and/or jess you seldom do, just my experience.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
For a dedicated DGR, I go for dead on at 50, or at most, 100, and shoot until I know the POI at nearer and farther ranges.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Jack OConnor must be laughing his ass off. Whether a 416 is sighted in a 100 or 150 yards is hardly relevant in African hunting situations. Buff don't worry much about 1/2" groups or whether it was hit a 1/2" too high or a 1/2" too low. Smiler

Sight it in at a hundred yards and don't shoot any buff any further than that (much less any other dangerous game).

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Will: I subscribed to your POV until about 3 weeks. I was hunting up in Dande in Zimbabwe and the only shot presented to me over the course of five days was at 125 yards. While I much prefer a closer in shot on buffalo or like you say ANY dangerous game, I took a calculated risk. Why calculated, because even though I can routinely hit a 3" circle @ 200 yards using sticks with my 416, I would have much prefer a closer in shot. As it turned out, my hsot was PERFECT if I don't mind saying so. A 1.5"@ 100 setting is prudent, particularly when it's practically dead on at 25 and 50 yards. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
jorge,

Hey, it's a judgment call. I have shot buff over a hundred yards but only because they were big and I couldn't get any closer. I also know the feeling of shooting something or going home empty handed.

But you have to accept the consequences of shooting buff at long ranges. Bullets get deflected, it takes a step at the last second, etc. Not only accepting the potential danger but the fact that the buff could get away wounded and never found.

I just think it is a bad plan to shoot buff at long range, especially for all the trouble it can generate. Things are a lot more certain at 50 yards than at 100.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Will:

I think that the real reason that most folks sight in their "flatter shooting" DGR a little high at 100 yards is because (wow!).. they shoot flatter tragectories, making a 150+ yard zero very usable at 50 yards and for that 200 yard shot at plains game. Just MHO.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Will: Can't argue with your post, then again shooting buffalo at close range is a calculated risk also, after all they could charge. I think JudgeG captures what I'm trying to say best in that there s no disadvantage to sighting in your DG rifle to shoot a bit "flatter" and in doing so affords you the chance of taking another animal at longer ranges if the opportunity presents itself,particularly when you are talking about 416s or lesser calibers. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still and all, I'd rather be dead on up close--where a couple of inches could be important--and if I had to do it, just hold over a couple of inches for a shot beyond 100 yds.

Up close you don't always have the time or presence of mind to make those adjustments.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
mrlexma: Have to agree with you, but it has been my observation that if one has to shoot "up close and personal" and offhand, 1.5" is irrelevant. Fortunately with my scope set at 1.5X, I can hit pretty close to dead center at 25 and 50 while shooting offhand. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge, when I say "up close" . . . I mean a buff or hippo coming hard at 10 feet. Big Grin I don't particularly want to face that kind of thing, but if I do, I don't want to have to remember to aim three inches high!

That's one reason why I'm going with iron sights on my primary DGR this year.

I once tried to brain a hippo from about 15 feet (luckily he was already dead, but we weren't sure) using a scope sighted .458 Lott zeroed at 100 yards. I forgot to aim high to compensate for the bullet's being so far below the line of sight. The 500 grain Woodleigh solid hit him in the side of his head over two inches low--enough to miss the brain completely, as it turned out.

But man did his head bounce!

[Edited to make it clear that this was a case of my forgetting to aim high.]

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
MR: Maybe this weekend I'll see where my rifle shoots at 10 feet and let everybody know. I guess that's why I have quick detach mounts too! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I've said this about a jillion times already but here it goes again:

The real sighting problem is when they are real close and you are using a scope. You have to remember to aim 1 1/2" or 2" high as the barrel is that much lower than the scope.

It's enough to miss braining a buff if you don't remember.

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will: Can't argue with your post, then again shooting buffalo at close range is a calculated risk also, after all they could charge.

Jorge, isn't that why we hunt dangerous game? If it weren't so, I would stay home. I don't condemn anyone for choosing to shoot a buffalo at 100+ yards - I might do it myself someday, but for the reasons Will states and the fact that the "danger" of a DG hunt had been eliminated, I wouldn't feel too good about it.

Jim, sight your rifle in at 100 yards and go hunting.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I don't follow your logic about "not feeling great". We were "in buffalo" up to our collective necks, sometimes as close as ten yards, but a shot opportunity never presented itself.

This has nothing to do with the "danger" in DG hunting but rather how best to sight your rifle in, point being that when shooting offhand at close ranges a 1.5" delta just isn't that critical but when taking a shot from a steady rest at longer distances, and not nessesarily at DG, the higher POI setting might prove the difference in the end. And even as Will staes if your rifle is set to hit dead on at 100, you will still have a different POI at 10 feet. Does that mean one has to sight in at 10'? not hardly. WIth my setup I am positive I can hit dead on in close, you just need intestinal fortitude. Oh yes, my 125 yard at the buffalo was just the first shot, AND I FELT GREAT about it, but the next two were at 30 yards and closing.jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

No offense intended. I was commenting on your observation of the risks of hunting DG. As for the original question, I put my two cents in on that as well. Good hunting.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I respect ypur opinion. Thanks, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I've said this about a jillion times already but here it goes again:

The real sighting problem is when they are real close and you are using a scope. You have to remember to aim 1 1/2" or 2" high as the barrel is that much lower than the scope.

It's enough to miss braining a buff if you don't remember.

Hell, Will, knowing about this isn't the problem.

Remembering it during crunch time is the problem.

I'm using irons so I don't have to remember.

Mike