THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone else have trouble with African Hunter (NYATI) book orders? - UPDATE

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else have trouble with African Hunter (NYATI) book orders? - UPDATE
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Just checking to see if my experience is an anomoly.

In October I ordered three books from African Hunter....one "Shot Placement Guide" and two "Nyati" books.

Near the end of January I received the first "Nyati" book. A few weeks later I received the "Shot Placement Guide". I still have not received the second "Nyati" book, although the order was placed (and my VISA charged) almost 5 months ago.

Is this a normal waiting period?

I am EXTREMELY displeased with their packaging. Both books that I have received were sent individually in a standard white envelope with my address on it. Thats it. No bubble wrap, no return address, no receipt....NOTHING. You can imagine how both books fared the trip from South Africa with absolutely no protection. The hardcover NYATI book looks like it was beaten with a hammer and stomped on a few times for good measure.

Is this the standard packaging technique for African Hunter?

I am very disappointed regardless of the answers. I have spent $200 CDN for a book that had the crap beat out of it, and am still waiting for the other which I don't expect to arrive in much better condition if it was sent the same way.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be extremely displeased. That is poor customer service to say the least.

I might have even taped it back in the envelope and marked "Return to Sender"- and provided their address.

I'd ask for a partial reimbursement on my card for damages.

I have bought all of my expensive books directly at the SCI convention in Reno. Even had a few authors sign them while I was there. Smiler

I also have a buddy that gives me 35% off list prices on all Safari Press books- If there are any that you want from their website or catalogue- P.M. me with catalogue codes or titles and I'll pass the savings on to you- you will still have to pay any shipping, taxes, duties etc., but you'd have to do that anyways.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
I hope this helps. In the USA Visa and MC charges can be disputed for up to 60 days after your account has been charged for defective merchandise. I would think it fair to say that negligent packaging of an item is simply inexcusable and the vendor should make this right. Some vendors can be impossible to deal with which makes credit cards a beutifull thing. I would suggest you contact your bank immediatly and dispute the charge at the very least for the item you never received. The 60 days after a charge is placed is all the grace I give a vendor as that is all MC or Visa give me. It's always a clue that you are dealing with a substandard company when they bill before they ship.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
i just finally managed to find some contact info on the African-Hunter website. I have been trying to reply to the confirmation of order e-mail, and I tried numerous times to use the "Contact Us" e-mail feature on the website but it keeps having some kind of error.

Anyway, here is there policy...

quote:
We promise a 100% guarantee of delivery and satisfaction on all items ordered from these websites. This means that no matter what it takes we will get your order to you one way or another. Africa is a long way away and the mail occasionally goes astray, but if you will contact us, we will take care of your problem.

Alan Bunn
P.O. Box 532
Ellijay, GA 30540
eEditor@african-hunter.com
Phone: (+706) 276-2608
Fax: (+706) 276-2606

So, I have e-mailed Alan Bunn and hopefully he will get my problems straightened out.

I'm still curious if this is usual for African Hunter. It will definitely effect whether I place any more orders. Anyone with an experiences, good or bad, that you'd be willing to share?

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Shot Placement Guide and after repeated calls I was told they were haveing some problems but would get it to me as soon as they could, this went on for 10 months. After my last call to Zimbabwe they said they were sharing a booth with HHK at the Dallas show and I could pick one up there if I liked, just give them my name and tell them my story. Which I did and got the book. They are a little behind the power curve. CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

I bought my AH books from the AH table at SCI. The magazine has always arrived in my mailbox in undamaged condition.

If there is an AH publication you want, I will be happy to pick it up for you at SCI in Jan 2006 and mail it to you.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

It took a little while for Alan Bunn / Bryan Patton to respond to my queries but they did, and Bryan looked into it and found that my order was among the last to be shipped from their Zimbabwe office. He immediately processed a replacement order from the new US distribution office, and it arrived in good order last week.

I sincerely appreciate the way they handled my my order, and am a satisfied customer. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait till you read the book - then you will be an ecstatic customer!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have already read the beat up copy I got a while back. Its a very enjoyable read! Of course it did not help satiate my desire to hunt NYATI, but it was very worthwhile nonetheless. Smiler

It turns out I am extra glad that the order turned out this way...the first beat up book came with no dust jacket and was missing the first section of color plates (with all the great trophies). I might not have known they were missing if I didn't get the replacement to compare to.

Cheers,
Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
So do they have a distribution center in the USA? I might just order it if they did.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
So do they have a distribution center in the USA? I might just order it if they did.

Yep. All of the magazine/book publication and distribution is done out of the US as of October 2004. I ordered my book about two weeks too early. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck