Find
Notify
Tools

Tracks Across Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
About the only chance I would have of hitting a charging leapord would be with a shotgun, preferably one that patterned as big as the one left in my skivvys ! About trusting the firearm again... what kind of nonsense is that? Any mechanical device can and will Fail! It is only as good as the maintainance it recieves, and based on my limited experience in Africa, I would be willing to bet that the combination of fine dust and oil probably bound up the firing pin enough to cause a lite strike. If that were the case, I'll bet you, it will never happen again! And I guess he should fire the tracker that handed him the empty rifle? even though, in all liklihood they have been in tighter spots together before!!?? It sure is easy to armchair quarterback around here. About the time I figured out that I was standing there with nothing more powerful than my putz in my hand, it would have been time to haul ass, but he did not! Reminds me of the first time I came to admire Prince Charles... wacko jumps up on the stage with a gun drawn and a clear path, and old Charlie stood his ground and glared him down till security woke up from their naps!! I saw right then, He was no figurehead!! For everything you saw wrong in this video, you can't miss the fact that the PH stayed on point and in between the cat and the client.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ian's tracker, Phillip, is the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
A shotgun at 5 feet? Yeah it works.

From what Ive been told of Leopard charges, this seems to be the norm.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several layers here.

Once the leopard is buggered, it's buggered.
We are now standing in shit that will not come off our boots. All bets are off. We have two options. Let the leopard crawl off and die, hopefully. Or, find it and kill it. Quickly. Oh, yes. Let's not get anyone hurt in the process.

Sporting, what?

So. Shall we all slow down a bit and give it some thought? As a client, did we anticipate this? Have we discussed this with our PH, cheerfully over a Pimms by the fire?
What was his response? Has he been here before? Have we talked with others who have? What has been the experience of others? Have we planned ahead? Has our PH planned ahead? What is his plan? What is our plan?

There is no all-inclusive, absolutely perfect answer. Too many variables. Too much shit. And, in life, as some of us appreciate, shit happens.

We do not live in a perfect world. We are in the field. We are in Africa. This is not our world. We are not at the top of the food chain. We are not in control. Different PHs. Different camps. Different training. Different experience. Different solutions. Different leopard.

Perfect answers and absolute solutions are for judges and trial lawyers. Real answers and real solutions are for real people living in the real world. Deal with it.

Questions such as this float among the dreams that drew us to Africa in the first place.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly Will, and to make things even worse,the shot is usually taken from the truck. Great hunters, right? What a disgrace to do that to the worlds most magnificent animal.
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Long as we are going to bring that up, running a leopard into total exhaustion and then shooting it at point blank range after it charges from a hopeless situation is just not my idea of fair chase.

A shotgun at 5 feet? Yeah it works.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guy's just so you know, the method of hunting Will is refering to is Bushman tracking a leopard (which in itself is an art form..but besides the point) on foot while the "hunters" are following along in the vehicle. After a while, the leopard gets tired, pissed-off, etc. and often charges at which point the client get his charge shot.

Will, correct me if I'm wrong on your thoughts, but I don't think that I am.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Several layers here.

Once the leopard is buggered, it's buggered.
We are now standing in shit that will not come off our boots. All bets are off. We have two options. Let the leopard crawl off and die, hopefully. Or, find it and kill it. Quickly. Oh, yes. Let's not get anyone hurt in the process.

Sporting, what?

So. Shall we all slow down a bit and give it some thought? As a client, did we anticipate this? Have we discussed this with our PH, cheerfully over a Pimms by the fire?
What was his response? Has he been here before? Have we talked with others who have? What has been the experience of others? Have we planned ahead? Has our PH planned ahead? What is his plan? What is our plan?

There is no all-inclusive, absolutely perfect answer. Too many variables. Too much shit. And, in life, as some of us appreciate, shit happens.

We do not live in a perfect world. We are in the field. We are in Africa. This is not our world. We are not at the top of the food chain. We are not in control. Different PHs. Different camps. Different training. Different experience. Different solutions. Different leopard.

Perfect answers and absolute solutions are for judges and trial lawyers. Real answers and real solutions are for real people living in the real world. Deal with it.

Questions such as this float among the dreams that drew us to Africa in the first place.

This sums it up perfectly - each situation is different, too many variables, deal with it if and when it happens.....

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Probably everybody here saw the video of Mr. Carlitz facing that charging lion with his large caliber rifle and emerging the victor.

Question: How many of you would have wanted to face that charge with a shotgun with buckshot?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote