THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What African countries don't allow a .308?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What African countries don't allow a .308?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Ok, stupid question time. I think I read somewhere that there are some African countries that do not allow hunting rifles to be brought in that are chambered in a military cartridge. I'll be doing Africa in 2010 (Plains game only) and have started preparations now (Mainly because I've sold the wife on the whole idea!)

Ummm, which countries might have a ban on military chambered rifles?

I'm on the cusp of buying a new rifle that will be a "back-up" rifle to my .350 RM. I've decided that the answer will be either 308, 30-06, or 7mm mag. Of course, if chambered in military cartridges are an issue, then the 7mm mag becomes the choice. My preference would be a .308...

Honestly, I don't expect to use the rifle much at all in the States. It would be a nice "Loaner" rifle for my Dad, or if a friend needed to borrow a rifle.

So, the question is, which countries would not permit a .308 in because it's a military based round?

(My preferred light rifle would be my 257 Bob. In my safe, the Bob handles anything Deer and under while my 350 would take anything beyond that. For DG, I think I'll find a 416 down the road...)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard from a far off source, many years ago, that Zambia prohibited NATO rounds (.223 and .308) but I don't know if this is still true or was ever true (or perhaps it was only for military marked ammo?)

Does anyone know - Peter Bird?

Ther are however many .308's in RSA, ZIM, Namibia etc. In SA its one of the most popular cartridges, in the top five or six in centerfire rifle ammo sales.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, this is not what you asked but it might be relevant to you.
Unless youre going to take really long shots in the namib or kalihari, you dont need another rifle. You´re good to go. As for a backup rifle, I have never known anyone who needed one.
The 257 bob could tag along as a dandy springbuck rifle.
If you´re not going to use the 308 in the states.....well, damm , who needs a reason anyway.
There are no countries forbiding the 308 in africa, only fmj in 308 for hunting
boet

Posts: 205 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 07 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There we were, having driven from Pretoria through Beit Bridge toward Harare. I had a mini-harem with me, wife, daughter and two women colleagues and we were headed for Mana Pools. Me to hunt. My wife had bid and one one of the auctions. They would be game viewing.

I had a 30-06 and a 500/450 with me.

Somehow at Beit Bridge the Inspector looked at the rifles, but did not deliver the Firearms Import license and I did not notice. This became clear at the first checkpoint. The very accommodating military radioed in to Hq., and were told to ask whether any of my weapons were military calibers. Any 7.62mm? No, I said, only a .308 and a .500/.450. OK, was the reply, stop at the airport and get your permits at Harare...

Regards,

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zambia..pretty darn sure of it.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote