THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Load for 375 Barnes 270 Gr. X Bullet

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for 375 Barnes 270 Gr. X Bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted
Sorry to rehash something that's been beaten like a dead horse, but my brother has graciously agreed to assist in working up a load for the X bullet and banded solid barnes in 270 grain for my .375 H&H. Anyone have a good load for this. I am taking this as a second rifle in June for Buffalo, Hippo and plains game. Will probably only use it for plains game, however.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bwana I Have used the Barnes Max Load listed for the 300gr bullet... Had super results with accuracy...Why the solids a 300gr TSX will penetrate a bufs skull...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
R-15 by the book for the 270g bullets.

I think the solids are a really good idea, especially after seeing the results of my klipspringer shot with the TSX.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike!
I'm taking my newly rebuilt .375 and .458 Lott. I will use the .458 for buff and hippo. The .375 is a back-up gun if necessary and may be used for sable and other plains game (including pigmy antelope). I thought it was not necessary to shoot the 300 grain as it most likely would not be used for buff, hippo or ellie.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Scott King, I can't imagine but that the klipspinger was totally messed up by the tsx!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanna,

RL-15 as Scott suggested works beautiful. I would suggest you use the TSX as opposed to the original X. Much less fouling and I think a better bullet overall. I get no presure signs with 270 TSX, 78 gr R-15, W-W cases and a Fed 215M primer. Velocity is 2750 fps from a 23" barrel and excellent accuracy.

Excellent back up for your heavy and will reach out if necessary for a long shot.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
//////////What Mark said x 1

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Bwanna, it was a big mistake. Big exit hole, big amounts of blood blown everywhere, big amounts of hair loss, really big dissapproving look from my PH, as he had advised me to load a solid before we gave chase.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
my klipie was totaled by the solid in 375 but not as bad as the duiker with the tsx. both 270 gr

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Crusher,

Given all the press about the TSX's not expanding, how come that can't happen to us?

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
Confused beats me.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
74.0gr RL-15, Fed 215, and 270 gr TSX gives right at 2,700 fps (24" bbl) with sub MOA accuracy in all 4 rifles I have tried it in (3 Winchester and 1 Remington).

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
77-78 grains of 760/H414/ 47SL10 or 73 grains of RL15 with the 270 grain TSX. A isn't a Klipper, but I shot this Steinbuck with a 300 grain TSX and 77 grains of H414. I'm doing a full body mount on it. I don't know if a solid could have be any neater.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Crusher look! TSX failure, TSX failure! Obviously the TSX failed on the Steinbuck of Dogleg's!

Ok now totally just kidding there. Excellent picture and trophy Dogleg.

Gary Duckworth and I got about 50yds away from the downed Klippspringer, he turned to me with out stopping and asked, "You did use a solid didn't you?" I replied in a mumble with no eye contact and he missed it. We got about 10 yards away, Gary stopped, turned around, looked me right in the eye and asked again, "You did use a solid didn't you?" I think I said something about my hearing/ learning/ cognitive problem and still made no eye contact.

The Klippspringer lost about a bale of hair, right front leg badly torn and almost removed, and an honest 6" exit wound in the bottom of the chest.

I also am hoping for a full mount standing up but will probably have to take a lying down mount.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Your my client. Continuing to prove you are a f--- up reflects badly on me. Quit that s---!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
You're the dummy that took me on Mark, you only have yourself to blame.