Tools

45/70 goes kaboom
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted
Here a Link in HA.

Wonder whose 45/70 it belonged to?

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Bill-That's alittle un fair.Not all 45-70 people load past the reccomended pressures.The 45-70 is not the only gun to blow up by useing the wrong powder.It has a high "Safety Margin" from the 40,000 cup recomendation.45-70 Guns have not blown up at 80,000 PSI but Brass had to be pounded out.

Not all 45-70 users are jerks..

Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jayco, do we have to go through the 45-70 saga again? Vince Lupo's story has already been discredited, and even if it were true, when 5 out of 6 dangerous game animals charge that indicates the cartridge is unsuitable. Next I suppose you are going to quote the Brian Pearce article.

Instead, why don't you find out what happened to cause the Marlin above to blow up, and post it for us.

Thanks.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Please, I'm begging, NO MORE!!!

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Comeon, it was fun the first 179 times...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post

O.K.But don't knock all for somes stupidity.

Jayco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Run for your lives!! the flood gates are open!!

See there, the 45-70 guy were right you can get 2200 fPS with a 500 gr. bullet, once!!

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

O.K.But don't knock all for somes stupidity.

Jayco

No one did that, so there's no reason to start a fight about it. I am sure there are a lot of people who want to know what caused the Marlin to blow up. I do, purely out of curiosity since I owned 2 of them in 45-70 [before coming to my senses ].

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
No fight from me as I didn't start this thread.From all I have read, it was the wrong powder.Many a person or clerk has for some reason mixed up RL-7 and the Alliant #7.One account from someone I know did the same and used the RL-7 recipe but had Alliant.According to a rep from Alliant he estimated the PSI to be 82,000 PSI.The guy had to pound the case out of it and repeated it?He then took it to the smith and had an A-O.K.

I love you guys and the tails but there are a few that here 45-70 and go nuts.You can't put us all in the same barrel and as I've always said there are better calibers out there for Africa.

Some just won't let it die and post like the one were talking on.Don't blame me.As you all know alot of pistol calibers have taken all Africa has to offer along with bows and arrows and so has the measily-inaccurate-dumb to have 45-70.

Life goes on...................Jayco.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Is that Carmelo's gun to bad.....

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like the barrel let go first! OUCH!!!

82,000 psi that would almost definitely be beyond the yield of that barrel. More than likely it is SAE4140, not known for it's toughness, a few super blue pills and she splits wide open!

Well that is a Marlin for ya!

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray that is a good one!! Once!!!!

Mike

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to start another 45-70 fight, but the following thoughts have been stewing in my head since the previous 45-70 wars. I should preface my statements with the following: I hunt with a Chapuis 45-70 double rifle regulated to shoot a 400 grain bullet at 1800 FPS. This rifle is my go to rifle when conditions are too nasty for my better doubles. I have also previously posted that a 400 grain bullet at 1800 FPS is adequate for any thin skin non dangerous game on this earth.

As I recall, all of the wonder 45-70's were shooting hard cast bullets with a large meplat. I'll leave out the dubious velocity claims. Come to think of it, the handgunners were using Keith SWC's or LBT WFN's. The common denominator in the above bullets is a large meplat. I think Keith intuitively figured it out, but Veral Smith of LBT tested the effectiveness of flat nose bullets. He said "the shoulder of a Keith SWC does not get wet in tissue". Apparently, the meplat creates a shock wave ahead of the bullet, to where it's taveling through slush rather than tissue. Now, some makers of solids are offering flat nose bullets with claims of penetration up to twice that of round nose solids. Interesting.

If you are interested in terminal bullet performance, I would suggest, Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets by Veral Smith of Lead Bullet Technology. You may not give a damn about cast bullets, but the chapter on stopping power formulas alone, is worth the price of the book.

I had all the answers 40 years ago, I must have forgot them. I'm still searching.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote