Find
Notify
Tools

Which .404 Dies?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,
Which die manufacturer do you use for the .404 Jeffery?

RCBS has them for about $245 Redding will special order them for $140 any other options?

I've never used Redding dies, traditionally using either Dillon or RCBS.

But if the quality is equal why blow the extra hundred?

Posts: 190 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding dies are simply some of the best dies. I have had a couple of sets that were not right but, like RCBS, they replace them no charge. I think they are far better than RCBS.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine are RCBS.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine are Redding...bought them from Grafs was shocked that they where the cheapest brand !!

RCBS need to pull there finger out of there ass, they charge way to much for things like .458 lott dies and .404 dies.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We use both RCBS and Redding, both are great.

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

Looks like I am going with the Redding.

Posts: 190 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my big bore dies are RCBS and I have never had a complaint, but Redding sure does make nice dies and they are probably better than RCBS..I didn't know the made 404s on special order....

Most dies are fine, I beleive that CH4D are the exception, they are crude for starters and I know of a lot of problems that folks have had with them, including some that I bought...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Yeah they will special make them for you. Price is $145 and change.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quick follow up question... I like to finish off my all handloads with a slight crimp using the Lee Factory crimp die. However Lee doesn't make them in 404 Jeffery. I am wondering if I can get away with the .416 factory crimp die since the diameters are so close?

These crimp dies are so cheap wouldn't hurt try it..
Thoughts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You sure can. Have done it on most of my 404 loadings.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I also use Redding. Lee will probably make you a special .404 crimp die if you ask. The Redding dies will also crimp.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have redding .404 dies and they where the cheapest !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote