Find
Notify
Tools

Laptops in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
I was thinking about getting a Sat Phone this year, but the more i think about it, the more I'm thinking a Sat Modem might be more practical. This way, I can even try and post an occasional update HERE!

Any suggestions on this topic? I know Saeed can probably help. Anybody else?

TIA

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Kathi used one with success in Chirisa this year. She should be able to assist.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanahile:
Mark,

Kathi used one with success in Chirisa this year. She should be able to assist.

Great idea. BTW, I would like to publicly thank Kathi for help with my Passport situation. She did some research and it seems within just the last two months, my own local post office opened a Passport desk. I walked in with the forms filled out, they took my picture and I was out of there in 10 minutes. I paid the fee for expedited service and overnight mail both ways. Hopefully I'll be squared away this week or next. ALL THIS HELP, in spite of the fact I used Chifutis agent to book my trip. I feel like a heel.

Thanks Kathi!

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
ALL THIS HELP, in spite of the fact I used Chifutis agent to book my trip. I feel like a heel.
Nothing a little gift certificate to Long Grass Outfitters or She Safaris won't rectify! Big Grin

Reg the satellite modem/BGAN terminal, whatever you decide, give yourself enough time before your trip to get it all setup and tested w/your specific notebook. I've looked at (but have not setup/used) the Inmarsat BGAN IP Modems and the Thuraya DSL Modems, both of which look slicker (and more expensive) then the older-style Iridium data kits.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you aware of the passport situation right now but they are/have been very far behind. Even people paying the extra $60 for expedited service are not getting them for months.

I think the time frame for passport renewals is now 18 weeks and expediting doesn't make it much quicker. People applying for new passports have been waiting for up to 4 months to get theirs. They are refunding the $60 expedite fee if you request a refund.

People with int'l trips leaving within a week or less are being advised to forget about the passport application in the system and take all their paperwork (birth certs etc) and a new application to one of the passport offices and apply in person. Then when you get there, you wait in line for hours with hundreds of other people trying to get their passports.

If you haven't received your passport within 2 weeks of your travel date, you should contact your Congressman's office. Some congressmen have been able to get passports pulled out of the system, processed and delivered in time for people to go on their trips. Or they can get you an appointment at one of the passport offices. Even with calling their congressman, some people are not able to get their passports in time and are having to reschedule their trips.

Good luck with yours!

Cindy
http://www.pbase.com/cjw

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I just had to have pages added to my passport and sent it in with the 60 dollar expedite fee.

Got it back in about 8 days from the time I mailed it.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote