Notify
Tools

Re: Malaria in Namibia?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted
Quote:

When using doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis, it must be taken before, during and after the possible exposure. It must be taken even if fever is not evident.

Exactly. I used doxy on my May/June trip to Zambia and the instructions were to take one pill a day starting two days before entering the risk area, and continue for four weeks after leaving the risk area. I just finished up last Friday! And definitely wear high SPF sunscreen and a hat or you'll get burned due to increased sun sensitivity. I also used permethrin spray on my clothing. I only heard one mosquito while there, but like someone else said, it's the ones you don't hear that get you.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I'm leaving in three weeks and I wonder if there is any malaria in the area around Kamanjab (south Etosha).

I've been a little stupid in the past and don't use anything in my trip to the Northern Province or Botswana last year (even in the amazon I don't take anything ), but after my experience with Lariam while in Equatorial Guinea ....

I think I've pushed my luck far enough so I don't want uneccesary risks, any reccomendation about this area is welcome.

LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
don�t worry. It is wintertime, that means it is too cool and too dry for Malaria.
Chances are 0% that you will get Malaria.
Enjoy your trip and good luck!
K

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
K
Thank you very much!!!!!!

LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I hunted near Etosha last month and was told that it is a malaria area and that an anti-malarial is recommended. I took doxycycline (got it at the local university for $10) just in case. My dad took nothing. We never saw a mosquito in 14 days of hunting. I don't think I'd bother if I returned, but that's just me.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"We never saw a mosquito in 14 days of hunting."

but isn't it the one you don't see that gets you?

For what it's worth (FWIW) on my first safari in Zimbabwe I saw nary a mosquito either however on my second trip to the same concession it was much warmer and in the early evening the mosquitos were out in force and I know I was bitten a multiple times one evening in a blind (forgot the bug juice!). I would have never known I was bitten because those bites did not raise a single welt nor nary an itch.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
I am going there in a week. My Ph, when I questioned him about malaria gave me a real vague answer--"well no, but you aren't from around here so maybe."

Technically, where I am going is supposed to be sort of a borderline are for Malaria.

I am likely to start some Malarone and switch to doxycycline if for some reason I don't tolerate it. Having said that, I may not take anything due to the reasons given by the earlier posters. I'll let you know if I catch it.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I'll be hunting next May in an area just to the west of Etosha, and a bit north of Kamanjab. It is a malaria area. Even though the chances are small that you'd be bitten by a skeeter that's carrying the bug, you have to decide for yourself if the small risk is worth not taking malaria pills such as Malarone. My outfitter suggested that I use them. Heavy late season rains in the area helped provide a healthy environment for mossies to breed, and there was a record number of malaria cases in Namibia this year.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Take the Meds.

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Etosha area is considered a malaria area-take the pills and be safe rather than sorry!!

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.
I think Doxy is an anthibiotic and you must use it only in case of fever (tick, malaria,etc) but not before.

Just in case I will see if I find Maladrone,
Thanks again
LG

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

When using doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis, it must be taken before, during and after the possible exposure. It must be taken even if fever is not evident.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, take the Malaria pills AND visit your local Doc. If you check my previous posts you will see my experience. The Doc, if he is good, consults the local Public Health Dept. In my case, I had a Tetanus shot, plus Hep A and B as I recall. I did take the malaria pills (I used larium without side effects) but did not bother with the Typhoid as I was going to a well developed area (I was hunting on a farm). If you are hunting in a area with a dubious water supply, I would suggest getting the Typhoid shot. With my HMO, it cost $15 for the doc visit, plus maybe $40 for the Malaria pills and 2 different types of antibiotics (lower and upper GI). Not a lot of bucks as compared with the travel costs and the cost of the hunt!
Peter

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in the Kamanjab area June 12-22. It is quite cold and dry there right now, so not many mosquies. Our PH told us there was no risk of Malaria in the area.

While we were there, a very young child of one of the ranch workers caught Malaria, and might be dead by now...so.....you make up your own mind.

I would say your chances of getting malaria in that area at this time of year are less than 1%, but, then, that pill sure is easy to take...

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo- Please know that the hepatitis A and B series of three shots takes 6 months to complete. A polio booster, tetanus and typhoid shot are also recommended. Doxycycline must be taken starting two days before you get to a Malaria zone, while you are there and 4 weeks after you leave the zone-a big disadvantage!! All information is on the CDC's website.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Lorenzo- Please know that the hepatitis A and B series of three shots takes 6 months to complete.

Correction...only Hepatitis B is a series of three shots. Hepititis A is one stand alone shot. I got mine yesterday along with tetanus shot and 4 typhoid pills to be taken 1 every other day until they are gone.
Leaving the end of August for an area 30 miles south of Ethosa. Said to be malaria free zone especially in winter season. But take bug repellant containing 30% or better DEET for use against ticks.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DEET will help some against ticks, but what you really need for them is permanone, a chemical, the most coomon brand here in the USA being a product called "Repel"--you can get it most anywhere. Even better is a product called "Bayticol". I don't think you can get it in the USA, but you sure can in RSA, almost certainly in Namibia, too. It's whole purpose in life is to repell ticks, way better than DEET for this purpose.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, Arts. I'll take both.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More notes....

Another drug called Twinrix covers both Hep A and B in one series.

Twinrix Info

Also, the Permethrin tick repellent is for clothing ONLY - not your skin.

(And it really works.)

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote