New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are TuffPaks Really "Tuff"?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking forward to picking up my new TuffPak when I go the US next (thanks Mims for shipping, I hope you saw my PM announcing its arrival). So the question is, does this item really cut it, and is it a "tuff" as people say it is??

The ultimate test: can I expect to pack a TuffPak to the Trans-Atlantic weight limit (70 lbs total - including weight of TuffPak), and have it survive the luggage manglers on its way to Switzerland?? Or will handles have come off or been bent, locks sprung open, lids lost, wheels broken etc due to the high weight??

What has been your experience, how much weight have you been able to pack into the TuffPak, and have it survive plane trips?? Have you done anything extra to secure the pak, like put tape around the straps holding the lid??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Mine has made 5 trips to Africa and 3 times that many domestic flights, plus another half dozen trips with friends who have borrowed it for flights to Alaska, Europe, South America and Africa. It has no damage other than a few scratches and has kept everything I have ever put into it in perfect condition. I have loaded up to 5 long guns and 2 handguns in it and had it loaded to almost 70 pounds many times. It is convenient to cart through airports and, even though you see them more often now, still doesn't scream gun case. That case is the toughest, most secure, lightest and easiest to handle that you can buy and you made a perfect choice.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Tuffpak has survived 4 trips to South America and 3 trips to Africa with little more than cosmetic scuffing. On this last trip, I saw the baggage handler drop it out of the airplane hatch unto the asphalt from about the heigth of 4 feet and nothing was damaged when I opened it up! It is always loaded to 70 pounds and rolls easily along behind me through the airports. They are expensive but hold up quite well.

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great testimonials, guys! Thanks a bunch!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Have made two trips to Africa with mine. The tuffpak was handled 10 times per trip by airline gorillas. No damage to any items inside the case and no functional damage to the case itself to report other than some cosmetic scratches. Remember, when the going gets Tuff-pak.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
Mine’s been to Africa once, Alaska once, and from Honolulu to the mainland to hunt about 5 times. Superficial scratches only, and nothing inside ever damaged or dinged. There may be a better travel case, but I don’t know what it is.

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have probably made over 50 trips with my Tuffpak, and other than nicks and dings its as good as new.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have a take down Tuff-pak that has made two Elephant hunts to Zim, Africa, and several trips in North America,by it's origenal owner, and it still looks new, as do the rifles that were packed in it! The extendable handle and wheels on the take down Tuff-pak make it easy to handle changeing planes, and as PWN said it doesn't look like a gun case!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Big Grin

Hey Mims what is the grin for? Confused
Do they make the slide-in bag for the take down model, or do you simply use the one for the full size Tuff-pak?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
So far 1 trip US to Europe fully loaded with about 75-80 pounds of bullets clothes etc and then 2 trips to Africa and back. Sceduled for another trip to the dark continent in August.

BTW, I use it to the shooting range also since that is great to lad all the stuff you need!

clap clap clap clap clap

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff guys, I feel assured in my venture to load this thing up to the max 70 lbs!

Cheers - mike