Find
Notify
Tools

Kalispel Cases for African Travel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
What are the opinions on the Kalispel cases? They seem to be built solidly and certainly would hold the interior contents securely.

I have used both a Tuff Pak and SKB case in the past with no issues, but am looking for the option that comes the closest to fool proof.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
carrying it across your lap on the plane, might come as close to "Fool Proof" as I can think of! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the London gunmakers, Purdey, Holland & Holland, Boss, AA Brown & Sons, Charles Boswell, DMB and most of the high-end Italian makers including FAMARS use full-sized TuffPak cases with their long guns packed inside individual padded soft cases like Boyt's to ship their guns via the airlines to the major shows. I have seen six inside to a case.

Expect 500grains to come along and say he has witnessed one TuffPak case failure.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
carrying it across your lap on the plane, might come as close to "Fool Proof" as I can think of! Big Grin

Rusty,

Unfortunately the TSA would view that practice negatively, otherwise, I would be inclined to give it a try.

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I do not own a Kalispel case, but I have seen some of them. They are a very well made aluminium case.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I've compared them side by side and believe the Cabelas Hevi-Duty to be the equal in all respects. Made of heavy aluminum and with good welds and hardware I have had no trouble with mine. Cabelas price is slightly better, but I don't fault the Kalispel case in any respect. I just bought on features and price. I prefer the beveled corners on the Cabelas case. Don't remember who makes their case but mine came with a deal to send to Manufacturer for an engraved name tag which I had made and placed on the case. Nice touch.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kalispell case that has made two trips to Zimbabwe and several US trips. I have never had a problem even with scope shifting. I have never had to adjust a scope after travel in mine. Tough cases. Thick aluminum.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas cases are made by Impact case company and you can buy directly from them, but you'll pay about $60 dollars extra.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Kalispel has served me well carrying two rifles overseas numerous times without scope shifts or other "issues". EXCELLENT product..!!

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great cases. I have used mine for a trip to RSA and numerous US trips with no problems. You can also get a zippered case that goes over it so it doesn't look so much like a gun case when traveling. Got mine from a company named "case place" for a discount.

Posts: 273 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine been to Africa 12 times in various places, Canada and Alaska several times, as well as some U. S. flights. It's well scarred and I replaced the latches once, but never a hint of damage or scope problems. Also have one for takedowns with a little less use.
Great case.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually take a Pelican case but on one trip I took my sons' rifles in a Kalispel case. I don't know what some idiot hit the case with, but it was badly dented and the lock hasp was also bent. The guns were fine but I had to bend the case back in shape to use it on the way back home. I think they are good products but an aluminum case seems less flexible and dents easily.