New
Find
Notify
Tools

$20,000 buffalo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just checked with a well known and respected PH in Zim for a buffalo/plains game hunt and I must say I am shocked at the prices.

10 days at $1400 per day = $14,000
Trophy fee for said bull = $6,000

$20,000 for just the buffalo?

I keep reading that you shouldn't get caught up in the romance of a DG hunt as it isn't always like you see and want to think but for those prices I think I want a dangerous close encounter to make it worth it. Not to mention he better be big.

If I am being unreasonable then please set me straight and I will sit in the corner while trying to learn something but that just seems outrageous.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Regardless of whether the encounter is close or the buffalo is big, so long as buffalo hunts are $20K I will pass. As fun as buffalo hunting is, a 10-day, one buffalo hunt for $20K is simply not worth it to me. Your mileage may vary.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was on my bucket list, but I simply cannot justify ,nor afford it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Regardless of whether the encounter is close or the buffalo is big, so long as buffalo hunts are $20K I will pass. As fun as buffalo hunting is, a 10-day, one buffalo hunt for $20K is simply not worth it to me. Your mileage may vary.

+1

I am in the same boat. It's nice and all just not worth $20k for me. I can go do a lot of eland hunting for $20k in Botswana.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I was quoted $24,000 for 7 days....

Posts: 50 | Location: Sask Canada | Registered: 13 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I got serious about booking a buffalo hunt three years ago I got a quote over $20k for a 10 day hunt with one observer.
I got unserious after that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AXEL19:
I just checked with a well known and respected PH in Zim for a buffalo/plains game hunt and I must say I am shocked at the prices.

10 days at $1400 per day = $14,000
Trophy fee for said bull = $6,000

$20,000 for just the buffalo?

I keep reading that you shouldn't get caught up in the romance of a DG hunt as it isn't always like you see and want to think but for those prices I think I want a dangerous close encounter to make it worth it. Not to mention he better be big.

If I am being unreasonable then please set me straight and I will sit in the corner while trying to learn something but that just seems outrageous.
Was that in a fenced conservancy or govt safari area?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of outfitters here selling buff for $12,000 - $14,000 all in.

Note you also have transfers and dip & pack to consider.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I know a couple of outfitters here selling buff for $12,000 - $14,000 all in.

Note you also have transfers and dip & pack to consider.

- Airfares to africa (only declining cost of hunting africa)

- Transfers

- Dip & Pack

- Shipping of trophies back and clearing agent in US

- Taxidermy

- Tips

All part of the safari can add $10-$15K

If one does not want to bring back trophies one can reduce the cost but then you are paying $20K to shoot a buffalo for a picture.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They can be bought for a lot less than $20,000 in the right place.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Add your air fare,taxidermy and what else and that will bring it to 30 000.On my return from my last trip someone told me that he knew my hunt was expensive and asked me if I ever thought about how many other places I could have visited for that amount.As much as I like hunting that thought often enters my mind.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regardless of whether the encounter is close or the buffalo is big, so long as buffalo hunts are $20K I will pass. As fun as buffalo hunting is, a 10-day, one buffalo hunt for $20K is simply not worth it to me. Your mileage may vary

My sentiments exactly. I've shot two Cape Buffalo and would certainly like to do another such hunt but not at these prices.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being able to afford it or being willing to pay are two separate issues. I have shot one for far less than that and would not consider anything even close to that price.
If you decide to go, have fun.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup
Love hunting the buggers, it can be a rush, but the prices these days are crazy.
I would rather fly the whole family off to a holiday in the sun / snow than pay that sort of money.
Cheers Stu

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some crazy good offers in zim at the moment. I don't believe you will get a better deal for unfenced buffalo than this year.

Posts: 26 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know an operator offering break even daily rates all in at 700 a day with a trophy fee of 6500 for a buff. So basically if you don't shoot a buff in ten days, he doesn't make money so he has skin in the game with you the hunter. If you don't bang, he doesn't make any buck. I personally think that's a good deal. I believe you can do better price wise, but you probably wont get the cheaper price to put his thing on the block next to yours!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$20k is crazy for a quality buff hunt in Zim these days. I've also seen good prices for buff in SA, and very competitive prices in Zambia recently.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do your due diligence. In life, you usually get what you pay.
I have yet to have a cheap hunt turn out as expected.

I would rather pay a little too much and get what I was after than pay too little and shoot something less than desired.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's called killing the goose that laid the golden egg. everyone everywhere has excuses why their product is so expensive until the customers quit buying it

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$20,000....that's a whole pick-up load of Mossbergs!!!! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For probably half the cost go and hunt a West African Savannah buffalo. Not as impressive as a cape buff, but just as tough and same hunting experience. I can offer you this hunting experience in Burkina Faso, Cameroon or Benin.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
it's called killing the goose that laid the golden egg. everyone everywhere has excuses why their product is so expensive until the customers quit buying it

I agree for us "mere mortals" but there are enough "money is no object" folks (God bless them, as I bear ZERO resentment for their success) to keep the bookings full. What is hurting the hunting business is GOVERNMENT (READ: DEMOCRATS)intrusion into the private sector with ready-fire-aim approaches by banning importation of trophies.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

I would rather pay a little too much and get what I was after than pay too little and shoot something less than desired.

+1

If you are doing your first buffalo hunt and want to bring the trophy back to US. I would budget $35k - that included a quality buffalo hunt with some plains game and taxidermy but not going crazy on taxidermy.

This for hunting the top areas of Zim.

The issue I have is shooting the next buffalo at 20k a pop - tough for me to be an additional buyer at these prices. I have better alternative uses of that capital. But that is a personal choice for me.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Marts post and prices in the omay, refunded trophy fee if nothing shot. I run the anti poaching in omay 1 & 2 so can assure you of a good hunt!

Folks, I have annual commitments to council and wards and would really like to keep my PH's in the field.
After negotiations with councils and wards I have managed to cut various fees
Below are costs rates for several hunts I would like to get booked

When you factor in fixed costs from marketing to anti poaching, PH fees to fuel and food amongst others, we have a base cost per day to operate a remote 2 million acre concession, Rates below are @ cost.

Valid for open dates only 2016

Omay
Zambezi valley

5 day crocodile $ 9000
5 day hippo $ 8750
7 day Buffalo $ 10 400
7 day buffalo/ hippo $ 15 150
7 day buffalo/ crocodile $ 15 900
10 day double buffalo $ 15 900
10 day buffalo/ hippo/ crocodile $ 22 750

Road transfers with PH # 200 each way
Dip/ pack $ 550

2 % and 4 % ZTA and parks tax included
VAT included

Trophy fees refundable for animals not shot

Buffalo $ 5500
Crocodile $ 5500
Hippo $ 4750

I head off on a 21 day so may not be able to log onto AR,
emails will work best or whats app + 263778121842
Cheers

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

O CHIT somebody woke biebs up 2020

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
For probably half the cost go and hunt a West African Savannah buffalo. Not as impressive as a cape buff, but just as tough and same hunting experience. I can offer you this hunting experience in Burkina Faso, Cameroon or Benin.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

I agree with everything Arjun is saying except one thing - the Savannah Buff is every bit as impressive as the Cape Buff. Same size, same attitude and fun to hunt.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

And a Mini Cooper full of Blaser's !!

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Combine it with an elephant and then it won't seem so bad....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:

Bubye Valley Conservancy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:

Bubye Valley Conservancy[/QUOTE]

Blue chip conservancy like the Save. Prices reflect the prime location and the excellent hunting.

If I was doing my first buffalo hunt - I think one pays up and experiences bubye.

But beyond first time experience these hunts are losing the value proposition for me.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I definitely follow that line of thinking in life.

If I had the disposable income I would do it, especially with this particular PH, but I can't afford that price anyway. Still I think it would be difficult to justify. I don't know what it costs to run a business like this so maybe they aren't making as much money as one thinks. Kudos to them and the hunters who can do it anyway.

I was just ignorant to the costs but I know now. I would rather spend the money on a few trophy plains game and an elk hunt or two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dearly love buff hunting . I have hunted a lot of them. The prices these days may well limit those I hunt in the future.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If I had the disposable income I would do it, especially with this particular PH, but I can't afford that price anyway. Still I think it would be difficult to justify. I don't know what it costs to run a business like this so maybe they aren't making as much money as one thinks. Kudos to them and the hunters who can do it anyway.

I was just ignorant to the costs but I know now. I would rather spend the money on a few trophy plains game and an elk hunt or two.

There is some great value in plains game hunting. I would hunt save and bubye in a heart beat for plains game.

When I hunt the save I will be plains game hunting. Drive around the same area, see the big five, take better pictures than Anton Cool, hang out with the same people and have a blast.

Plus I think in the Save - hunting eland on foot is a tougher hunt than hunting buffalo. Buffalo hunting is great but I really don't want to get in a tough spot with a buffalo.

Also there is a stress element in hunting a $20K buffalo - the PH charging that needs to produce. I personally don't do stress hunts anymore. Its my vacation - I choose the level I want to spend (not buffalo at $20K) and what I want to do (have fun trophies are irrelevant).

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

There is some great value in plains game hunting. I would hunt save and bubye in a heart beat for plains game.

When I hunt the save I will be plains game hunting. Drive around the same area, see the big five, take better pictures than Anton Cool, hang out with the same people and have a blast.

Plus I think in the Save - hunting eland on foot is a tougher hunt than hunting buffalo. Buffalo hunting is great but I really don't want to get in a tough spot with a buffalo.

Also there is a stress element in hunting a $20K buffalo - the PH charging that needs to produce. I personally don't do stress hunts anymore. Its my vacation - I choose the level I want to spend (not buffalo at $20K) and what I want to do (have fun trophies are irrelevant).

Mike

I'm still looking into a plains game hunt with the same PH in the Bubye and an Eland is on the list. Spotted Hyena as well as they are just fascinating to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhoro:
Combine it with an elephant and then it won't seem so bad....

I especially can't afford that but if you want an observer on that hunt let me know.

I'll run the video camera. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd certainly pay 10,400 for a buff hunt all in in the Omay. But 20K is not happening. I think the pricing in most of Africa is getting ready to change drastically and not necessarily for the better. By that I mean it is actually going to get cheaper in many places and impact the amount the locals make on the hunt. Maybe I am wrong but this thing has swung way too far in the wrong direction and now the chicken is coming home to roost. Not to open another sore subject but we can always tip more if we score a great deal. I expect to see some great offers in the next few years. Otherwise I'm with Mike and will be hunting PG for the value.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I would pay 20K for a good buff and a fair hunt (not the SA high fence hunts). The problem now, is not just the price but the PH will encourage you to shoot a 34-36-inch buff. A former PH in Zim brought me to a great bossed but narrow buff to shoot. I did as buff were scarce on the property. at 32" I never hunted with him again.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The days of good hunting are about over.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At that price for a single buffalo, Tanzania begins to look a lot cheaper, on a per buffalo basis. I like hunting three on a single trip. The trophy fees are half. Daily rate, well, it is Tanzania ... But if you did a 10-day for two buffalo and the limited plains game available on a 10-day license, that's a bargain in my opinion.

Posts: 10381 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

Mike

I'm still looking into a plains game hunt with the same PH in the Bubye and an Eland is on the list. Spotted Hyena as well as they are just fascinating to me.

I think plains game would be great in the bubye or save. You have to make a choice on how to spend your hard earned and highly taxed dollars.

These are all person choices constrained by financial budgets.

I would go hunt bubye. I would leave the taxidermy and trophies and all behind. I would take a lot of pictures and hire a cameraman. Focus on the experience.

In my opinion a bubye plains game hunt in 800K acres with big five is worth the premium.

If I was in the DG hunting business in Zim - I would view this thread with caution. At $20K a buff - lots of experienced african hunters are no longer interest. Maybe we have hit a price point for demand destruction.

Mike