Find
Notify
Tools

What is the latest on Zim?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
With the shows around the corner, is there any other, further, or different information out there about hunting in Zim. I plan to return, but would like to hear anything others may know in favor of going to Zim or not going to Zim. Looking back a year or two, is the Zim situation better, worse, or about the same?

Thanks.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Will,
I was there in November and all was fine. My PH said things were much better with the new government and supplies seemed readily available. I would not hesitate to go back.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just got back on December 10. I think the situation is better, the stores are well stocked, never felt unsafe and everyone was friendly as usual. Would leave again tomorrow if I could.

Mike

Posts: 21398 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Zim with SBT. I would not hesitate to go back in heart beat. No problems what so ever.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
I've not been there lately. Here a site that is not hunting, but it does give you some idea about the country. http://www.zimbabwesituation.com/

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great for hunters, but not so great for white farmers or anyone not aligned with Mugabe.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen, (list) prices in Zim are drifting upwards ... and they will jump when Mugabe goes. This year may be the last year of good deals ... if bookings are light again at the shows. In light of this, unless you are hunting something scarce like lion, better to keep your powder dry and book later in the year when the real prices materialize.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Friends near Bulawayo say that with the change to US dollars and SA Rand things have stabilised some what. There is some manufacturing starting up and shops opening in the CBD. I don't know if this has flowed on to (or needs to flow on to) the Safari Industry.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote