THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    260 grain Nosler Partition in Africa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 grain Nosler Partition in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have experience using the .375" 260 grain Nosler Partition on game in Africa? This bullet shoots accurately out of my .375H&H at just over 2,700 fps.

The animals that I would shoot with this could include, grysbuck, impala, bushbuck, kudu, waterbuck, zebra, eland, etc.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I can only report on my hunting partner's experience with it on eland at 2600 fps from distances of between 40 and 60 yards. His first and second shots hit shoulder bone and disintegrated, not even making it out of the front leg. The eland couldn't move with two broken shoulders, so he shot it twice more. I think the third shot was to the body somewhere, and the fourth was to the neck, which finally did the trick. It should work fine on the smaller game, but I'd avoid it on eland.

I think you'd be better off with 300-grain Partitions or Woodleighs in your .375 H&H, and I'd keep velocities down to 2400-2450 fps. I used Woodleigh 300-grain SP Protected Points at 2300 fps out of my .376 Steyr Scout for quick one-shot kills on nyala, bushbuck, waterbuck, and eland. The nyala and bushbuck were DRT (dead right there) with complete pass-throughs as expected, the waterbuck ran 80 yards before dropping (bullet skidded inside the ribs on the far side and was lost in the gut pile), and the eland only got 20 yards (bullet stopped under the far-side skin).

[ 05-31-2003, 21:10: Message edited by: Slingster ]

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
On the safari in Namibia in 2001 three hunters used this bullet to take 15 head of game from Zebra through Klipspringer. All but two were one
shot kills. Two animals were shot twice as the first shots were not placed properly (first time hunters in Africa). One record book Gemsbok with a Texas heart shot at 275 yards as it was the only shot possible at the time. Left hip and found under the hide of the right shoulder. Almost 4 feet of penetration and a one shot kill.
Don't know about Eland. The heavier bullet would be better. When hunting in Namibia we met the owner of a huge ranch who loved to hunt the "Blue bulls". He used a 375 H&H and 270 gr. bullets. he never shot one on the shoulder, always behind the shoulder and usually a one shot kill. I think he used a Hornady. If a hornady can kill a partition would do much better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed a number of Eland with the 260 partition, but I sure prefer the 300 gr. Nosler for them...the 260 works fine on everything else and will get you by on eland, but they blow off the front portion which in Nosler language means you are stressing them and should be shooting a 300 gr. bullet. You should do fine.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote