Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunt with these guys?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
An acquaintance won a cape buffalo hunt with Thormahlen and Cochran of Nelspruit in a bighorn sheep raffle. Just wondering ...
http://www.africatrophyhunting...6572t9qPMq3j3HJ8pHEU

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill - I know Peter very well, and most of his hunts. More specifics on the hunt he won, where, when???

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Peter. We had a great time and a good hunt. He is funny as hell.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Thormahlen & Cochran a couple of years ago, had a great trip.

I purchased the hunt at a silent auction at a local SCI chapter banquet. We got there early, and I put my name down as the opening bid of $600, 7 day hunt for two hunters, $1,500 each in trophy fees. No one else bid on the hunt, so I paid the $600. I ended up taking my dad with me, I was a little concerned about the trip based on how little I paid, but they treated us like kings.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Peter twice. He runs a first class operation.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Aaron, I don't now much more about the hunt, except that it is in June. Sounds like my friend will have a fabulous time. He was in the store the other day asking about Cape buffalo bullets to handload for his .375, and I told him I would load Barnes TSX 300s and not worry about solids and softs.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill

I know Peter and I think he runs a good operation, your friend should have a good time with them.

They actually hold a concession close to our lodge here in Namibia and a friend of mine does some big game guiding for them.
They shot a very nice lion a couple of weeks ago.

Please send my regards to Dave and have a great festive season

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill;

I have heard nothing but very positive reports about T&C, in fact I am considering them for a 60+" Kudu hunt I have been seeking and have heard they produce!!
Personally, I would NOT shoot Buff with softs in a 375...prefer first two solids, then back up with softs...preferrably Trophy Bonded...if needed. Best get input from PH for conditions, distances, etc...

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am considering them for a 60+" Kudu hunt I have been seeking and have heard they produce!!

Yes there are many Game Factorys in RSA

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Some background information on another big SCI donor.

Namibia: Hobatere's 'Old Boy' Killed

THE death of a second collared lion within the last five months has shocked the Namibian tourism and conservation community. The killing of the black-maned lion, logged as XPL-20, but affectionately nicknamed 'Old Boy', comes five months after the collared lion Leonardo was illegally shot by professional hunter Keith Wright.

Dr Flip Stander, renowned lion researcher, states on his website (www.desertlion.info) that "in the wake of the shooting of Leonardo, this is a big blow to the lion population and to tourism in Namibia".

Stander stresses that Old Boy was "not a problem lion". Stander says his death is a tremendous loss to Namibia's lion research archives and tourism. "He was massively important, not only to conservation, but to tourism too," Stander said.

Old Boy is estimated by many to have been the most frequently seen lion in Namibia and attracted thousands of visitors to Hobatere Lodge during the past five years.

The 10-year-old lion was killed last month during a trophy hunt in the Ehirovipuka Conservancy, on the western border of the Etosha National Park.

Steve Braine, owner of the Hobatere concession and lodge, who has worked closely with Stander in collecting data on Old Boy, said last week that "the whole conservancy was 100 per cent aware that the lion was collared".

Louise Braine, co-owner of the concession and lodge, added that eventually, when he was old, they would have called in a hunter.

"But not now, in his prime," she said.

Speaking to a conservancy member, The Namibian was told that the conservancy has a strict no-shoot policy when it comes to collared animals.

However, the hunters did conduct a legal hunt insofar as they were in possession of the necessary permits, he said. He added that the concession is N$75 000 richer from the trophy hunt.

The Ministry of Environment and Tourism confirmed last week that the lion was shot legally, though questions have been raised regarding the shooting of the particularly well-known Hobatere collared lion.

"Our hands are tied because they had a permit. But we want to know why they shot that particular animal," a ministry official said yesterday on condition of anonymity.

The trophy hunt was led by South Africans Peter Thormalen and Phillip Fourie, who owns the hunting rights in the concession. Both Thormalen and Fourie refused to speak to The Namibian. Thormalen advised the newspaper to "contact my lawyer".

The local professional hunter hired by Thormalen and Fourie to act as the hunting guide, as they themselves do not have permission to shoot professionally in the country, was Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris located near Kamanjab.

Du Plessis claimed that the hunting party did not notice the collar until the lion was dead.

The chairperson of the conservancy, Asser Ujah, charged that the lion was lured to the hunters while they were waiting to shoot a leopard. He claimed that the hunters "put out meat for the leopard" but instead lured the collared lion.

Ujah alleged that "the lion came quickly, tried to attack them" and was shot as a result.

Du Plessis did not mention an attempted lion attack when he spoke to The Namibian, emphasising that "there was nothing illegal about the hunt. I had a permit".

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote