THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Kimber Caprivi 375 lion rifle ... rifle pics added

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Caprivi 375 lion rifle ... rifle pics added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Well I have been tinkering with my Kimber Caprivi in 375.. It is just about where I want it and will be shooting a few different bullets and will settle on the one I feel meets my needs...
Here are the targets shot this afternoon, temp around 84 degrees and a slight crosswind.
Shot with sticks at 50 yds and offhand also at 50.. Used sticks at 100yds also...
The load I am shooting is RL15 72 grs with a 300gr Hornady spire point...
The rifle is toped with a Leupold LPS 1.75/ 6X witrh a 30mmm tube and 42mm bell and Talbot QR scope mounting system...

In this photo I fired three shot groups off sticks at the 50yds at the left bull and the right bull and at the center bull the two other shots were off hand aiming and the point of the diamond and I am happy..

This group of shots was fired off sticks at 100yds I'm happy but will do better with some more practice...

375 Kimber Caprivi Leupold LPS 1.75X 6 42MM

Express sight opened to 160 degrees

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Looking good Mike, do that with 300 gr Swift A frame and you are ready to go.

I handled a Caprivi this week at a local gunshop. It is a good choice for what you are going to do.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Oh for got to add lion hunt is booked for Aug24 thru Sept. 15 2009... In the Selous with Pierre van Tonder...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've looked at the Caprivi and considered getting one. What is your opinion of them now that you have shot your's? Any special likes or dislikes?

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The rifle is balanced and recoils straight back and not up... The trigger on my rifle is around 2.75 lbs. and absolutely no creep... I also like the matte finish on the barrel and action..

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Looks good. That load in my rifle (M70, 24") with a 300 TSX gives me a little over 2600fps at about 12 feet. Very accurate as well. Good luck with it. As Alan said a 300 Swift would work great, or I'm getting good accuracy with the 350gr. Woodleighs. 72gr. max. load of H4350 gives you 2325-2350, roughly depending on rifle. Good luck with whatever you choose. You got a damn nice rifle in that Caprivi.

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Well I have been tinkering with my Kimber Caprivi in 375.. It is just about where I want it and will be shooting a few different bullets and will settle on the one I feel meets my needs...
Here are the targets shot this afternoon, temp around 84 degrees and a slight crosswind.
Shot with sticks at 50 yds and offhand also at 50.. Used sticks at 100yds also...
The load I am shooting is RL15 72 grs with a 300gr Hornady spire point...
The rifle is toped with a Leupold LPS 1.75/ 6X witrh a 30mmm tube and 42mm bell and Talbot QR scope mounting system...

In this photo I fired three shot groups off sticks at the 50yds at the left bull and the right bull and at the center bull the two other shots were off hand aiming and the point of the diamond and I am happy..

This group of shots was fired off sticks at 100yds I'm happy but will do better with some more practice...

Nice shooting, Mike. thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Mike,

My Caprivi likes Federal's 300 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw load. Last month, I shot a big-bodied problem lioness with that load from another of my .375s and my client shot a huge lion with the same load. The TBBC flattened both felines.

If my gun didn't like the TBBC, I would take a hard look at the Swift A-Frame. Both are tough enough for buff, but I wouldn't want a tougher bullet than either of those for cats.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, That sure is good shooting! Gdog and I will be in TZ arounf the same time hunting Buff in Masiland. George

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Nice Mike. Wish I was back up there shooting with you.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike... I'm more impressed you booked your lion hunt than with your rifle groups! Good Luck!!! Wink

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Mike: Show us a picture of your new rifle and scope. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Mike, what velocity are you getting out of that load? I have worked up an R15 76grn with 270 Barnes TSX and solids. Mine are smoking fast (about 2800). They shoot well, so I guess it doesn't matter, but I'm almost wishing I would have toned them down a bit. Given that I'm leaving for the valley in 6 days, I don't think I'll be messing with them anyway.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ryan, did not chrono yet but they are only practicing ammmo..
Pics of rifle added...

I know you are ready and that rifle is ready also.. Go get um!!!
Have a great hunt....

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your choice of Hdy 300gr SP is a good one. If you decide to move up to a premuim bullet, I'd vote for the BearClaw.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote