Find
Notify
Tools

.416" Nolser Partitions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I have a full box of these Nolsers, and will start shooting some of them this summer. What type of performance could I expect? I'm talking weight retention, expansion, penetration, etc. How does this bullet compare to Bear Claws, A-Frames, and X bullets?

P.S., it's for my 416 Rem Mag.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forum. We look forward to seeing the results of your comparisons. There are lots of ".416 people" here!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some folks used them last year on Buffalo in our camp and they worked very well indeed, better than the old ones. It seems you never lose the front section with these beefed up 416's.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41953 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Andy>
posted
Tod,

I shot some 400 gr 416 noslers into five gallon nylon buckets filled with water.

they expanded into three wide propellors measuring .77 inch across wide part and .59 inch across narrow notch between Y shaped propellor blades.

Weight was 379.2 gr. Penetration 35 inches (buckets are 11 inches each).

First can was split in two but attached at bottom. Second bucket was crushed.

Exited rear of 3rd and dented front of 4th.

this is similar to a 400 gr Swift except the Swift is uniformily round at about .78 caliber and will split completely n two first two buckets indicating larger more sustained temporary cavity you would expect from larger frontal area.

George Hoffman reports his collection of Swifts from buffalo to be about .80 - .85 caliber and 90% weight retention, so my water buckets are slightly tougher target than real thing but awfully close.

I backed off 2 gr from the swift load (RL-15) as the nosler is quite long.

the lead was pretty well attached to the front core and no sighn of loosing it. Just washed off outer edge of three props.

I would certainly hunt with it.

Andy