New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alan Shearing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone hunted with Zim PH Alan Shearing? Looks like he'll be looking after me in Chewore South in Oct, booked thru Charlton McCallum Safaris.
Cheers,Charlie.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
His wife Rosy was my camp manager during my elephant hunt last year. Alan was exactly between safaris during my trip so he stayed in our camp during most of my safari. Even though he wasn't getting paid he cheerfully did a ton to help.

I had my own PH so I never hunted with Alan but I visited with him a lot during the evenings. He hasn't hunted long but has tons of enthusiasm and loves his job. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'll do a tremenedous job for you.

Say "hi" for me.

All the best,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Alan has an excellent reputation. He is very personable as well. You will do fine. His wife Rosy has killed elephant in the past too.

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback - I'm sure that that Buzz and Myles wouldn't take on anyone that wasn't excellent but the more firsthand info one can get the better! This site sure is a great resource. Cheers, Charlie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

What game are you hunting in Chewore South?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi '500' - non-trophy ele and hoping there's an unshot buff quota left at the end of the season - BUT the more research I do on shooting cows the more uneasy I feel about it - I have a lot of respect for Ron Thomson (Mahoboh) and he is adamant that sport hunters should not be taking matriarchs out of a herd. I am convinced that 'culling' is necessary in a number of countries and taking trophy bulls away from a herd I have no problem with, just wish I'd booked a trophy bull now instead! For me, the biggest buzz is always just being in remote Africa (having grown up there), and getting an impala for the pot fills my bottle just as much as any expensive trophy. Cheers, Charlie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

I have no particular opinon on matriarchs. Probably I would not even know which cow was the matriarch if she squashed me. However, shooting cows is an awesome adrenaline rush, especially when you get charged by ones that you are not allowed to shoot. Have fun!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to discuss here Ron Thompson and Lou Hallamores opinions on not shooting cow elephant. I believe there is another side to the story. But either way I can assure 500 grains that if he gets stomped by a cow he has in all probability met the matriarch.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote