Notify
Tools

elephant ban reversal -
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Stuck my two bits out there Tim

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
That must be the one I just read. Thanks for getting my six.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You got it Tim

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, A big thank you. Some of the comments made by you and others has turned one from the dark side. I got an e-mail from someone that commented negatively and then decided to look deeper after reading some of the follow-up comments.
"The comments replying to my negative one caused me to read more in depth. Perhaps I have been wrong."

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.biologicaldiversity...phant-11-28-2017.php

For Immediate Release, November 28, 2017

Contact: Brett Hartl, (202) 817-8121, bhartl@biologicaldiversity.org

Records Sought on Trump Administration Decision to Lift Ban on Zimbabwe Elephant Trophy Imports

WASHINGTON— The Center for Biological Diversity submitted a Freedom of Information Act request today seeking public records about an African trip taken by President Trump’s director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service just days before the administration reversed an Obama-era ban on important elephant trophies from Zimbabwe.

Greg Sheehan, acting director of the Fish and Wildlife Service, traveled to Tanzania from Nov. 13 to Nov. 17 to attend the “African Wildlife Consultative Forum,” an event run by Safari Club International, a group that advocates for trophy hunting in Africa and contributed $10,000 to Trump’s campaign. During that meeting, on Nov. 16, Sheehan’s agency announced it would lift the ban on elephant trophies.

“The timing and coordination with the Safari Club on the decision to lift the elephant trophy ban is deeply troubling,” said Brett Hartl, government affairs director at the Center. “Secretary Zinke has already turned the Department of the Interior into a special-interest playpen, and now it looks like that rot has spread to the Fish and Wildlife Service.”

After massive public outcry, including from Republican politicians and pundits, Trump and Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke announced a “hold” on issuing elephant trophy import permits while they review the decision lifting the Zimbabwe elephant trophy ban.

On Oct. 11 the Fish and Wildlife Service decided that killing African lions in Zimbabwe enhances their survival, thus opening the door for the import of lion trophies from Zimbabwe. This decision was made without any public notice or opportunity for comment, neither of which are legally required.

The decisions to allow trophy imports ignore the grim reality that Zimbabwe is one of the most corrupt nations in the world — scoring an abysmal 22 out of 100 on Transparency International’s 2016 Corruption Perception Index. A military coup occurred on the same day as the reversal of the elephant trophy decision, and since that time, Zimbabwe has installed a new leader in place of Robert Mugabe.

“Nothing got better for elephants in southern Africa over the past year, so the public has a right to know what really motivated the abhorrent decision to allow the import of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe,” said Hartl.

The Center for Biological Diversity is a national, nonprofit conservation organization with more than 1.5 million members and online activists dedicated to the protection of endangered species and wild places.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9455 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.biologicaldiversity...nsultative_Forum.pdf

Link to the FOIA request.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9455 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am too cynical even to respond to such fake news attacks anymore. Idiots can’t see the ocean for the waves.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13567 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On our DSC TRACKS ACROSS AFRICA, AND Dark And Dangerous TV series we NEVER waste the time to promote hunting as THE savior of African wildlife. We are hunters, our viewers are hunters, and our sponsors are hunters.
Conservation Through Hunting messages are on EVERY show.
Just saying...

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I agree with you: there's no point in preaching to the choir. Carter's WAR, however, was a show (I have seen 5 episodes I think) that would seem to be acceptable for some non-hunting channels - potential new audience to effect. It had no hunting in it and was focused on wildlife conservation. I can see that obvious advocacy of hunting might make Carter's WAR unacceptable to certain TV channels, but a statement or two about anti-poaching funding or the use of hunting blocks as buffer zones around parks could begin to shed some positive light on hunting.

The show presented a reasoned view of poaching and loss of habitat as the primary threat to wildlife. I think a good opportunity to educate a new audience was missed.

Aside from that, I liked the show. Ivan is a good ambassador for the hunter/conservationist and he certainly demonstrated a great deal of courage on the show.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has a final decision mbeen made?

Posts: 11780 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The page about elephant trophy imports on the u.s. fish and wildlife website is now blank. It says it is “currently under review”. I guess trump threw it on the back burner so he won’t have to deal with it. Unfortunately we are a society of social media mob rule. Whoever screeches the loudest on the internet wins.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Northtexas12:
The page about elephant trophy imports on the u.s. fish and wildlife website is now blank. It says it is “currently under review”. I guess trump threw it on the back burner so he won’t have to deal with it. Unfortunately we are a society of social media mob rule. Whoever screeches the loudest on the internet wins.

Exactly!

Common sense has died! Mad

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68240 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"currently under review"I don't think it needs spelling out.Didn't Trump give us African hunters the finger and call it a "horror show"

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I don't think it needs spelling out.Didn't Trump give us African hunters the finger and call it a "horror show"

This is likely the most accurate post you've ever made.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3514 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote