New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giraffe Mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, new to the forum. I am going on my first Safari in 2007. I am pretty sure I want to shoot a giraffe. I have been poking around this fourm and there are some nice shots of giraffe mounts. I would love to see any pictures people have of them to get some ideas.

Couple other questions.
1. On average, how tall is a shoulder mount Giraffe that hangs on the wall?
2. I have seen some nice looking giraffe mounts that rise out of the floor like a lightpost. how tall are those? They look really nice!

Thanks!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Mine is the type that rises up from the floor. It stands 8'6". The base is approximately 28"x48". Hope this helps.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I have the floor mount as well. I had my taxidermist trim approx. 8" off the bottom of the form so it could be displayed in a room with eight foot ceilings. They are beautiful mounts and I probably get more comments on that than any of my other animals. The bad thing is that it is a fairly pricey mount. I've always thought this was a very nice mount.

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would first get permission from your lovely wife before you do anything. That way she is more likely to let you go back to Africa for your 2nd, 3rd and 4th time in peace.

I know a guy who has a gangly ugly sandhill crane on his wall. He got permission from his wife beforehand and so she can't complain.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:
I would first get permission from your lovely wife before you do anything. That way she is more likely to let you go back to Africa for your 2nd, 3rd and 4th time in peace.

I know a guy who has a gangly ugly sandhill crane on his wall. He got permission from his wife beforehand and so she can't complain.

Like that is going to happen.... And had your wife known about the crane she may have written a ban into your vows way back when...

I'm cursed with 7.5 foot celiings in my den. Not sure how I can make this work. Anything outside of the den requires heavy negotiations with the spousal unit.

Anyone have creative ways to mount a giraffe with short ceilings?

BOWHUNR: That is a beautiful mount...

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of geese
posted Hide Post
RobH, limited by 7.5' ceilings makes it tough, but here are my thoughts, FWTW.

1) Neck skin made into gun case, rest of skin/hide rug.

2) Drinking pose, gonna take up some floor space as well as wall space.

3) Leg made into floor lamp.

4) I think there's a place in Bulawayo, Zim (may be several others) that sells leg bones with a scene carved on them.

5) I'm thinking of bringing back the largest vertebrae.

6) A piece of furniture upholstered with the skin.

7) They're doin' those popsicle heads with small animals, maybe popsicle head of Giraffe (small pedestal setup for a shelf up high) and still get gun case and rug.

And last but not least.

8) Full shoulder mount sneak pose. Big Grin Hey you asked.

I don't think some of these are good ideas, but hey, they're ideas. Maybe there's an idea here you can build on. I just came up with the popsicle head idea. I think I like that one, you could couple it with some of the others and end up with several trophies from the same animal. Hope this helps at least a little.