Find
Notify
Tools

1st Safari problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi yall
My lifelong dream is taking place in March, my first safari, plains game in South Africa. Wanted a buff more than anything, but $$ and life dictate after all. My problem: I have spent my limited funds for years building myself MY safari gun, an Interarms I re-barreled to 375 Ruger. Wife and self have been shooting our rifles AT least once a week for the last 6-8 months in preparation. So, problem is, US Government shutdown has rendered customs useless ( non existant, not even voicemail). So I can't get the clearance and psperwpop rk on my rifles in time for March 7 departure from the states.
I know this is a waste of breath, but any suggestions vs. renting whatever guns the outfitter has? Using our guns and reloads has been so much of a part of the pleasure. Not heartbroken, but close.
Best Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask your outfitter about camp rifles he has. Bet he can fix you up. Don't let this ruin your hunt. Even in America we must occasionally, "Make a plan."

All the best on your hunt.

Posts: 818 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foxhound,
You can download Form 4457 from the US Customs website. Fill it out and when the customs office nearest you reopens run it in to get the rifle checked and the form signed. If you are worried about the SAPS end of it, perhaps your outfitter can go ahead with the paperwork on that end and fill you in on any problems that might happen if you show up without a gun. I can't think there would be any.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a camp rifle. Nothing wrong with that. They are usually very good and accurate.
I have been doing this for over 10 years now. That makes life & travel so much easier.
After all a rifle is just a tool. The hunt is the important part !
Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What clearance are you referring to? There is no "clearance" to take the gun out of the country.

It is about 6 weeks before your departure. I can't imagine this debacle won't be over with by then. Getting the 4457 is not a big deal at all.

All a 4457 does is prove that you had the item in the US. This allows you to avoid duty upon entering the US with the gun. In my mind, there are other ways to prove this. For example, if you have the paperwork from where you bought the gun. If you have the paperwork, perhaps you can get a notarized statement from the dealer indicting that you bought it from them.

For whatever it is worth, I went through once with no 4457.

If my memory serves me correctly, one can register the gun in the RSA upon entry. That may be where the issue arises with the 4457. Ask the outfitter to check.

I am with you. I hate to shoot someone else's gun.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just talked to the US Customs office in Port Hueneme, California on Monday. They said come on down and get the 4457 signed anytime.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went THROUGH RSA on my way to Botswana last year. SAPS wanted to see a 4457 with the current year stamp (so I had to get a new one for no sane reason whatsoever).

Just ask your outfitter what the camp rifles are. Chances are they're just fine or great.

As Larry said, have the 4457 filled out & ready to go in case the shutdown ends. If it doesn't, then the camp rifle is your backup plan.

I'd much rather use my own. But your hunt will very likely just go from 100% awesome to 98.776% awesome using a good camp rifle. Still a damn good trip.

Posts: 449 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The only guns I have that I consider tools are my Glocks, lose one, go buy another like a Craftsman hammer. My hunting guns are just another thing entirely. Hunting with my rifles is half the experience. Buy, hey, thats just my opinion!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Custom’s offices at international points of entry should be open. Not sure which is closest to you but my guess would be Boston. With a bit of digging you can probably find the phone number or check their operating hours. Drive to the nearest international airport and drop by.

Last time I got a 4457 done it took all of about two minutes.

By the way, have a great safari and start saving for the next one!

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have until the day of departure to get the silly 4457 form stamped .. as someone said the shutdown is likely to be history well before then. If not, there may be no flights at all.

You don't have to have this form to enter RSA. This is just the most convenient way of proving ownership. After all, German hunters don't have this form. Draft up a "to whom it may concern" letter, have it signed by anyone official or even better have it notarized.

If you bought it from a dealer, go get a copy of the background check they are required to keep on file for you. That should also suffice, particularly if the copy is notarized.

The real intended purpose of the 4457 form is to prove to customs, on your return, that you didn't purchase the rifle over there. So the letter or background check form should suffice again. Or even a receipt from the store that sold it to you. Anything that has the serial no and caliber on it will do.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have used receipts. etc., to get my rifles back in the US, but I wonder if a receipt will be accepted by the SA police. I would not chance this. If one officer either unknowing or unwilling to accept the receipt your rifle may be confiscated and a big legal issue you don't want to deal with on your first day of your first safari.
Get the 4457 and if not, use camp rifles.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saps looks at our goofy 4457 as our gun licence, I know, I know....... But I'm SA all guns require a license. I would not take my guns without one.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting with my rifles is half the experience. Buy, hey, thats just my opinion!

Great opinion! Under all circumstances bring your own rifle. With me in Zimbabwe in Oktober was another client. He didn‘t bring his own rifle but had arranged with the PH to get one from him. Well, all rifles in the PH‘s possession were faulty! However the client used one of the lousy shitty rifles though - I don‘t want to talk about the outcome...

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
Foxhound, your profile says Downeast Maine. I am in Bangor and can assure you the customs office at the Bangor airport is manned. I have gotten several 4457"s there over the years and have found them very friendly and helpful. They are located in the building adjacent and to the right of the main terminal. Hope this helps.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were in Lubec in August. The guys at the crossing did mine for my trip later this year. If in Maine you have many crossing in a days drive, take the wife out to a lobster dinner.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If everything else fails, do not let it stop you having a great safari.

My first safari was with two second hand rifles I bought in Seattle.

I never used them before, and I wanted to leave them as gifts after the hunt.

Had a great safari.

Shot an elephant and two buffalo, as well as many different animals.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trump just said we got a deal for 2-3 weeks. Get er done!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the sage advice and information. Gonna go and getter done regardless.
Best
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t turn up in Jberg without a 4457 , they won’t process your import .PERIOD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its more for getting back into the states isn't it? In anycase should be someone manning the post

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote