Find
Notify
Tools

what is the attraction of RSA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's a topic to get us off the usual tipping/insurance questions:
what is the attraction to RSA these days? Fenced game farms ,animals trucked in, higher daily fees for plains game than need be, poor quality inexperienced PH in many cases,etc.
I will concede the fact the accomodations are usually very good.
Is the attraction mainly to first time hunters traveling to Africa with a shopping list of animals? Rather than repeat clients??
I do not know, other than the sheer beauty of the country I am one of a growing group of sportsmen/women that has become disenchanted with the raising fees,etc.
what is your opinion?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great value in plains game hunting. Lovely hunting on many properties. Some properties are fenced, but are large enough for it not to be a problem. It very much depends on terrain and cover to what extent fencing becomes a factor in hunting. Additionally, there is a lot of unfenced hunting available.

Great combination of species - including the dry area species, that you otherwise primarily find in Namibia. Nyala used to be an exclusive SA game, although these days, you can also find Nyala in Mozambique, Zim etc. Prices are still very reasonable in SA, though, and trophies are good.

If you avoid some of the black sheep in the business (canned hunts, etc), SA has great game management and healthy game populations largely unaffected by poaching. The standard of PHs is generally very high.

Easy access, great infrastructure, great touristic options, political stability.

RSA has a lot going for it, and it proves it by being the largest hunting destination (in terms of visiting hunters) in all of Africa.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
It certainly is a nice destination for first timers and those wishing to take a good assortment of animals.

However, it pales in comparison to hunting the Zambezi Valley with Zimbabwean PH.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, pure personal opinion from a newbie – only been there one time. Some reasons I went to South Africa over one of the other countries at the Southern end of the continent:

Seemed more civilized. Zimbabwe has Mugabe, Mozambique has land mines, Tanzania seemed expensive – even with the repeal of apartheid, RSA gave the impression of at least Second World – the others all seemed too Third Worldly with the attendant worries about services, transportation, official corruption, the odd civil war, etc. etc. I know, I know, Joberg is probably more dangerous than most villages anywhere in the bush, but we only spent a day there and were under the constant care of the PH and staff.

Hey, if you want adventure and to find out what a third world country with miserable poverty is all about just take a second class bus ride through Mexico.

As a newbie, I guess I was looking for the Holiday Inn of safaris for a first time to test the waters, in other words a more known and more placid experience. Hey, call me a wuss, I know that’s not adventurous and all that, but my wife and I did not care to experience too much adventure the first time out. Were I still 19 or 20, hey, grab a backpack and figuratively jump in the deep end, but at 49 I’d learned to approach things a bit more slowly.

Again, just one person’s opinion and reasoning.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery!
Hit the target, all else is twaddle.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted all over Africa and I still enjoy a good RSA plainsgame hunt if the property is large enough..High fences on a 75,000 ac. property like the Seleti are not a problem, but if that bothers you how about 500,000 acres in the Eastern Cape with only a 3 strand barbwire fence....

If you shop around you will find a lot of very large properties in RSA with 3 strand fences..Not all of RSA is like that certain area around Kruger....RSA is a huge place and it amazes me how some of you that have been only to one area think the whole country is the same...Thats like saying the desert SW is the same as Maine... shame

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I don't think that RSA is as attractive as it used to be as a hunting destination. I does have some wonderful animals that you can't get anywhere else, such as Cape kudu, mountain reedbuck, vaal rhebok, etc., but for general African plainsgame hunting, it's getting more expensive all the time, and you have to travel quite a distance between safari areas if you want to bag a wide variety of plainsgame animals. For dangerous game hunting, RSA is ridiculously overpriced. To me, RSA is best seen as a collector's destination, where you hunt for those species you do not yet have in your collection and that are available only there.

For general plainsgame hunting, Namibia is a better choice as far as I'm concerned, and if you want plainsgame (especially trophy-size Greater kudu) and buffalo, Zimbabwe is better for the money. If you REALLY want to focus on buffalo plus some plainsgame, a short 7 or 10 day safari to Tanzania is tough to beat, and a better value, coupled with greater opportunity on buff, than RSA.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray: I've hunted thruout RSA for 20 yrs, though the last few have changed my mind as far as returning.
These days it seems anyone with the will can purchase a PH lisc., what happened to earning it?
Price per size trophy is becomming common place as well.
Something about sitting a hide and watching the neighbor harvest wheat deters from it too,etc. etc.
for plains game I've found northern Namibia more enjoyble these days.BB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Jim: I do believe Namibia is the safest most stable country in all of Africa. and the daily rates are better for plains game.BB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ballbuster,

I think mho, Jim, and Ray have hit it right on!

It is a Beautiful country, specially so when you get off the path and the hunting grounds.
The people are wonderful, friendly and open, some I now consider very close friends.
It is relatively easy to get into and out of if your hunting time is limited to scheduled vacations.
It is easy to get around on an exceptional highway system.
They do have an economy there, the country is a "going concern" still, and you can get a trip there that has much, much more than just the hunting aspect.

And all at a still very reasonable price.

The hunting, be it ranch, or unfenced is stilll to be had at affordable prices in comparison to other destinations. And while it may be a "beginners" venue for some, it is certainly a place to hunt almost everything available for anyone of any experience level.

And, if it only acts as a "breeder" of more DG hunters it serves a very real purpose.

I wonder what the percentage of DG hunters first whet their appetite for it in RSA?

I'll be going back there. I'll go to Zimbabwe, Tanzania, and maybe Mozambique or Botswana as well, but I'll go back to South Africa.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSA is just a great place to hunt. The hunting conditions vary from area to area and property to property. I agree that there are properties that are over stocked zoos but there is also a lot of country where the hunting is very much like hunting ranches or farm land in the States.

I also don't think you can compare the RSA hunting to other countries to the north because it is like comparing apples to oranges. It is just two different hunting experiences.

With a little homework a person can have an excellent hunt in RSA. No its not elephant hunting in the Chobe but its not supposed to be. I hunted all over RSA last year and am very much looking forward to doing it again next year.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it comes down to business, hunting business, RSA people are the best at marketing their product

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Until you've tried to find the zebra on Kerneels' property in KZN, don't talk to me about how "easy" RSA is! Yeah, it has a fence around it. That's to keep the poachers out of his 12,000 ha of the nastiest, thickest, thorniest jess any jaded bwana could want to try and dive into. It's all about knowing your provider. Get references. Ask questions. Sure there are jerks out there in RSA . . . and Tanzania, Zim, Moz, Colorado, Oregon, Alberta, Australia and so on, and so on, and so on. Knock off the simplistic thinking and victimology and do your job as client. You will find that there are plenty of operators out there who properly do theirs.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old sarge I was born ,raised and still have family RSA. I need not have a yank tell me to "drop the victimology".
I was asking a simply question why so many still claim RSA is THE place to hunt. BB

one of us
posted Hide Post
BB

quote:
I was asking a simply question why so many still claim RSA is THE place to hunt.

No, it is obvious from your follow-up posts that you asked the question with your answer in mind already.

I don't think I've read anything here at AR that would claim that RSA is THE place to hunt and I can't imagine how anyone spending any time here could come to that conclusion.

However, for all the reasons above, as noted by a majority of responders, it is a great place to go hunting. And it is certainly the easiest, softist, transition location, so the US hunters experience something of Africa and can then make the next step up to DG and other lands.

If you choose not to hunt there, so be it.

Some of us will choose to hunt there again and again.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got scared off RSA long ago because of all of the reports of hunt scams. But scams aside, RSA tends to be more suited to the beginner or less able hunter. Or to hunters who desire less of a wilderness experience.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of advise coming from folks who apparantly have not hunted all of RSA....Not all of RSA is hides for instance and for someone raised in RSA Ballbuster you certainly must have been localized to the old transvaal area or so your posts indicate....

Hunting in the Eastern Cape, North of Port Elizabeth, and some areas around central RSA out of Kimberly require a hell of a lot of mountain climbing and walking..They are as sporting and as fair chase as a hunt can be..As to expensive, well my RSA Cape hunts run 150.00 per day plus trophy fee, and they have about 36 species of plainsgame on 500,000, 40,000 and 25,000 acres of mountainous terrian..Now this is not what I am interpeting on this thread...

Philip Price, swartkei Safaris has 150 hectares on one place and several others that are more than 15,000 hectares.

Probably the best Kudu hunting in the world is in some of those vast high mountain areas around Ellistrous, above Joberg and below Gravelott, that is a remote, pack in by foot area and has some of the worlds biggest Kudu if your tough enough to hunt it.....

Granted there is an area in the old transvaal area where small fenced ranches are packed next to each other with fine lodges and little acreages, and they sell Lions, Buffalo and plainsgame purchased at sales, put and take operations, but this does not simbalize all of RSA by a long shot...But even in the Transvaal area you have hunting concessions like the Seleti that are fenced but have 75,000 hectares with no cross fencing, and others I know in that area have as much or more...

If any of you have doubts then come hunt with me, give it a try and I will show you large plots of land with lots of game, 3 strands of barbwire and free roaming animals..If not then I will put my money where my mouth is...what say you?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure there are jerks out there in RSA . . . and Tanzania, Zim, Moz, Colorado, Oregon, Alberta, Australia and so on, and so on, and so on.

Jerks in Oregon..? Say it aint so...

To the point; I hunted in RSA last June. I spent more time crawling on my hands and knees than I have since I was a toddler. There was nothing easy about it, even though most of the hunting was behind fences.

Hunting mt. reedbuck was lots of fun and I would love to do it again. Lots ot tall hills and bluffs. Maybe vaal rehbok next time.

I think that anyone who hunts Africa should do RSA at least once. If nothing else there are game species there that you can't hunt else where. If you do your homework and ask here about any outfitters before booking, you'll not go wrong.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
As to expensive, well my RSA Cape hunts run 150.00 per day plus trophy fee

WOW! WHAT A BARGAIN.....oh, except the trophy fee of five figures. Frowner When the price difference between Zim or Tanzania and RSA for cape buffalo can equal the daily rates and flights to RSA to collect the species that are unavailable at the superior buffalo destination, I cant understand why someone would NOT do this.
That said, there are a few areas of RSA in which I would feel ok, ethically, about hunting for Buffalo. One of them isn't available anymore and is historically significant enough to MAYBE induce me to be interested. The others just represent Veblenesque consumption as far as I'm concerned.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RSA is an important hunting destination for two reasons touched on in the posts above: one, it is a great desitnation for first time hunters who want to get their feet wet, and two, it is a great destination for those who want to take specific species that are only found in RSA.

If you book with a quality outfitter like Scott of Africa, you can achieve both the goal of an introduction to African hunting and the opportunity to take native species under "fair chase" conditions. I made my first hunt in RSA in '96 with Chappie Scott and have been back five times, and each has been an incredible experience. Like so many things in life, preparation is most of the problem, and most of preparation is picking the right provider. The majority of the animals that I have taken in RSA are indigenous and were taken were they live as they live. None have been taken in "canned" hunts.

While there has been no farming going on during the periods I have hunted in RSA, exactly what is wrong with watching a farmer mow hay while you hunt vaal rehbok? From that high up, you can see them pass bills in Cape Town! Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
One great thing about RSA is that you can take your wife/girlfriend with pretty much confidence that she'll enjoy the experience. There are beaches, posh hotels, campy and folk shoping, comfortable airports... English is spoken everywhere...

It is a great "first taste" of Africa.

I do recommend careful choice of where you hunt. Some folks will be quite satisfied with a few thousand acres of fenced hunting (especially if you are only hunting for a few days), but make sure you have enough space if you're going to get frustrated at looking at the same roads in a smaller game ranch.

I have yet to meet the guy who has gone to Africa only once. It is the natural progression to hunt RSA, then Namibia, then Tanzania or Botswana... or if a bit of a gambler and want to save a buck, Zimbabwe or Mozambique...

I know I've left out Zambia (sorry Peter) and others, but those are the ones I know...

If you really want an adventure that can result in any damn thing from getting shot at to wearing out Rowland and Ward.. go to Burkina Faso. You may introduce folks to the wheel.

I have trips planned to Tanzania, Zim and RSA... I like them all.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have had many enjoyable hunts in South Africa and will be there again this year. I have yet to see a "tame" hunt there and certainly nothing I have hunted was tied to a tree or out in a pasture standing broadside. I've hunted fenced and unfenced properties there and found the game as wild as wild SHOULD be on either side.

I don't market put-and-take properties in South Africa.

One thing many have probably never done is to actually look at the fences. I've counted numerous bushbuck, zebra, gemsbok, warthog, cats, impala, duiker either crawling under or going over the high fences (kudu and eland). I have seen some game treat a cattle fence like a high fence, blesbok aren't particularly keen! Fences are not the "prisons" some of you think they are.

I have large properties and properties specific to specialty hunters like archers, where no firearms are discharged period. My landowners very carefully study the carrying capacity of their properties and are genuinely concerned that game breeds on its own and remains diverse on its own. They maintain their own quotas to maintain high standards and quality for their guests.

If it wasn't for the popularity of game farms in South Africa many species just might be extinct now or in too few numbers to hunt. Namibia is waking up to that.

I think South Africa offers an excellent range of game species big and small to challange a hunter. The lodging is typically very nice and if you have non hunting guests there is often quite a lot of off site activities for them to do while the hunters go hunting. Convincing the non hunter to go along and partake in your adventure is a lot easier if they know they will be comfortable, safe and will enjoy the experience. Safaris were never about discomfort and why wouldn't you want to vacation at a beautiful 5 star lodge anyway?

Personally I bust my butt all year so I can go hunting and enjoy the whole day a foot. I can't do that if I have to sleep on a board or rocks, wake up with a stiff back and eat cold food and have sand in my coffee! shame

I don't think all the South African outfits have high day rates. My South African plains game day rates are less costly than Zimbabwe and Botswana but are higher than Namibia. Each country has something unique and wonderful to offer, you just got to go to the right places.

If all you want to hunt are buffaloes, lions and elephants then no, South Africa is not for you. But it can be a great place to go, over and over again even for a well traveled hunter.

Enjoy it while you got it!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Ain't Ann nice?

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I must have hunted in the wrong place. I've only been there once and I will not return. I guess it is to "civilized" for me. I hunt to kill something, I don't go to stay in a 5 star hotel. I can do that at home.
In my one trip, I hunted on 5 "farms" North of Alldays, and one near Nelspruit. All were high electric fenced. The largest was 80,000 acres. That's a long fence! I guess, cause I'm from Alaska, (where there are few fences), that bothered me.
The outfitter delivered the services promised. I just didn't like the conditions. I left two days early from a paid hunt. I'm not sure, but I don't think this hunt was a canned hunt.
I also hunted in Namibia, on 5 "ranches". The only high fence I saw, was around some eland the farmer was going to reintroduce. We had 116,000 square miles to hunt on. I also had adequate accommodations.
You "pays your money, and you takes your chances."
If you want 5 star accommodations,and don't mind hunting behind a high fence, even if it is 80,000 acres, go for it.
Notice, that I said I had only hunted there once. It depends on what kind of a hunt you want, I guess. I didn't like it, you may love it!

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BALLBUSTER:
Here's a topic to get us off the usual tipping/insurance questions:
what is the attraction to RSA these days? Fenced game farms ,animals trucked in, higher daily fees for plains game than need be, poor quality inexperienced PH in many cases,etc.
I will concede the fact the accomodations are usually very good.

Ballbuster,

Nothing personal meant in this. Isn't your post here a little inconsistent with the one you recently made on the "Hunting Reports" thread? Your post there - "Report on "Going to Africa".

Dungbeetle
Is the attraction mainly to first time hunters traveling to Africa with a shopping list of animals? Rather than repeat clients??
I do not know, other than the sheer beauty of the country I am one of a growing group of sportsmen/women that has become disenchanted with the raising fees,etc.
what is your opinion?

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah DB,

Remember this one?

quote:
I had my wife along to RSA and we were sitting in camp in the heat of the day, when the PH says to one of the staff in Afrikan " doesn't the Mrs. have a lovely a$$ and big T--s, I'd like to #$%^ her a good one" you should have seen their faces when I replied in Afrikan " I have" then proceeded to teach this 30 yr old PH a few good old fashion Yankee manners!...
roflmao

Do you reckon it was his South African mum that taught him his good "Yankee manners"?

quote:
Old sarge I was born ,raised and still have family RSA. I need not have a yank tell me to "drop the victimology".
I was asking a simply question why so many still claim RSA is THE place to hunt. BB

troll

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry & Dung: I've lived on the main land USA in Pa since I graduated college in Bethelehem, Pa @ Lehigh University to become employed by US Steel, now a days I am semi retired and travel back to my homeland to visit family whom still live there.
My mum taught me many fine things in life but it was the New England "Yanks" that taught me the crass refelex reactions to rudeness that I was happy to bestowe upon that bloke of a PH employed on the safari of which I commented to earlier.
Dung, indeed parts of RSA are beautiful still. Atkinson: the Kimberly area is to my opinion the shining glory of hunting areas in RSA...you are correct one can pull for air hiking up those grades
** yet no one has commented on the poor showings of SOME of todays RSA PH, yes there are some fine younger men and a few old hands in business there. BUT I asked what happened to earning a PH lis. rather than buying into one ??? When my father and his father before him EARNED theirs it took years today take a written test at best or just slip 200R into the correct palm and bingo...1 season wonder.BB

posted Hide Post
Either you like it or your don’t.
One thing is for sure 10 years from now out side the fence or over the border, things will be decimated.

Tell it as it is!

Posts: 29 | Location: South Africa (Limpopo) | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Henry & Dung: I've lived on the main land USA in Pa since I graduated college in Bethelehem, Pa @ Lehigh University to become employed by US Steel, now a days I am semi retired and travel back to my homeland to visit family whom still live there...

A collection of statements you have made recently:

quote:
I served in WWII and Korea unfortunately I still carry the scars.

quote:
DD: yes I served and am proud of it.I left a wife with a baby on the way for WWII, when I got drafted. got my legs shot up.
Korea was under way before my 2nd girl was born and I got recalled. In short order I was a POW .What you heard about prisoner treatment isn't all BS. it was nasty. 3 pals and I tried to escape and were caught. Punishment was sever to say the least. I didn't run again. Was released in a POW exchange.

quote:
I give up my 1st class seat to wounded uniforms I see and fly coach. Why? I remember being spit on in JFK returning on crutches from 'Nam. And hearing "shame they didn't blow off your ba!!s"

quote:
Myself, I've been around and built wheelguns as well as qualified for an Olympic back in the 60's with them for nearly 60 years.

quote:
yes I'm pretty damm old, but thankfully I can still get my hunting done. and I still run a 8.5 minute mile and play a high 80's golf game too boot! Now if only the young chicks liked tall skinny gray haired retired lawyers I'd be happier than hell! BB.

quote:
When you do what I do for a living and sell enough guns as well as repair enough guns… I've had FAs on the bench to repair just like I do Rugers, but as far as production gunbs go ( which will never be equal to my customed guns)… I worked for Dan Wesson for a few years, even shot on their team in several matches.

quote:
But I've worn 3 Dillon's out in the last 15 years!

quote:
pretty sure of yourself aren't you pup? what the hell would I have to gain on a big game thread by claiming to be one birthday short of the big 80 and a vet.

quote:
I give up my 1st class seat to wounded uniforms I see and fly coach. Why? I remember being spit on in JFK returning on crutches from 'Nam. And hearing "shame they didn't blow off your ba!!s"

quote:
Grape Creek: You ask when was the last time to soooo many questions...I answer you with "LAST YEAR, Last Month,Last Week"!!! That is EXACTLY how my family and I do it all the time. My family = my wife & 3 grown childern, my father & MOTHER ( they are in their mid 60's and still pack moose MILES ON THEIR BACKS!)BB

quote:
I worked my way thru college and had a wife and 2 kids while doing it too!! I was raised on the very same farm I now own and hunt.

quote:
I'm from the lower 48, but lived in and still come home to AK every year.

quote:

quote:
I had my wife along to RSA and we were sitting in camp in the heat of the day, when the PH says to one of the staff in Afrikan " doesn't the Mrs. have a lovely a$$ and big T--s, I'd like to #$%^ her a good one" you should have seen their faces when I replied in Afrikan " I have" then proceeded to teach this 30 yr old PH a few good old fashion Yankee manners!

quote:

Your mom’s 65 and you fought in WWII and turned 80 this year? That really leaves me scratching my head, I must admit. Are you talking about your 65 year old pack-muleYankee mother from the lower 48 who raised you on that farm you own and hunt? Or is this your hundred year old half-black South African mother who taught you your good Yankee manners so you could slap around your PH after he said something about your wife in “Afrikanâ€? Good thing you speak fluent “Afrikanâ€, by the way. I never heard of that lingo myself, but since you are from South Africa and were raised there, you probably speak “Afrikan†and Afrikaans and Ebonics and everything else they speak over there.

At times, it is important for you to be 80 years old and have served in WWII and Korea. Wounded no less. End of story on those posts. At other times, you served in Vietnam, wounded again. No mention of those other wars. I want the whole story. Did you also fight in the Spanish American War?

You are a retired lawyer, I see. One who interrupted his lawyer career to have a gun shop, repair guns all the time, also fight in at least three wars, and wear out three Dillons. You qualified for the Olympics with a revolver you built in the 60’s while fighting in the Vietnam War. Your parents are in their mid 60’s and can still carry whole mooses out of the woods on their backs. This is a confusing timeline. Your parents are about 15 years younger than you are.

Perhaps you were adopted. Yeah! That’s it! Now your life story is completely consistent and plausible.

Mister, whoever you are, you are a filthy liar and a troll. It doesn't so much bother me that this is what you are or that you visit these forums. A lot of filthy lying trolls visit these forums, and I generally pay them no mind. What really bugs me is that you are impolite. You jump into topics of which you have no knowledge. You lie about guns you have never owned. You offer grossly inaccurate reloading advice, and you excoriate innocent and well meaning parties as you do this.

You are not a veteran.
You are not a wounded WWII veteran.
You are not a Korean War POW.
You are not a wounded Vietnam veteran.
You are not 80 years old.
Your mother is not in her 60's.
You were not born in South Africa.
You have never been to South Africa.
You don't know much about guns.
You don't know anything about reloading.
You offer nothing but rudeness and disinformation to discussions.

You do remind me of another user name that lies about his experience and his gun collection. His trademark is that he insults other forum members and is very insistent upon his lies and insufficiently googled information being correct.

Get a life.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
quote:
Henry & Dung: I've lived on the main land USA in Pa since I graduated college in Bethelehem, Pa @ Lehigh University to become employed by US Steel, now a days I am semi retired and travel back to my homeland to visit family whom still live there...

A collection of statements you have made recently:

quote:
I served in WWII and Korea unfortunately I still carry the scars.

quote:
DD: yes I served and am proud of it.I left a wife with a baby on the way for WWII, when I got drafted. got my legs shot up.
Korea was under way before my 2nd girl was born and I got recalled. In short order I was a POW .What you heard about prisoner treatment isn't all BS. it was nasty. 3 pals and I tried to escape and were caught. Punishment was sever to say the least. I didn't run again. Was released in a POW exchange.

quote:

quote:
Myself, I've been around and built wheelguns as well as qualified for an Olympic back in the 60's with them for nearly 60 years.

quote:
yes I'm pretty damm old, but thankfully I can still get my hunting done. and I still run a 8.5 minute mile and play a high 80's golf game too boot! Now if only the young chicks liked tall skinny gray haired retired lawyers I'd be happier than hell! BB.

quote:
When you do what I do for a living and sell enough guns as well as repair enough guns… I've had FAs on the bench to repair just like I do Rugers, but as far as production gunbs go ( which will never be equal to my customed guns)… I worked for Dan Wesson for a few years, even shot on their team in several matches.

quote:
But I've worn 3 Dillon's out in the last 15 years!

quote:
pretty sure of yourself aren't you pup? what the hell would I have to gain on a big game thread by claiming to be one birthday short of the big 80 and a vet.

quote:

quote:
Grape Creek: You ask when was the last time to soooo many questions...I answer you with "LAST YEAR, Last Month,Last Week"!!! That is EXACTLY how my family and I do it all the time. My family = my wife & 3 grown childern, my father & MOTHER ( they are in their mid 60's and still pack moose MILES ON THEIR BACKS!)BB

quote:
I worked my way thru college and had a wife and 2 kids while doing it too!! I was raised on the very same farm I now own and hunt.

quote:
I'm from the lower 48, but lived in and still come home to AK every year.

quote:

quote:
I had my wife along to RSA and we were sitting in camp in the heat of the day, when the PH says to one of the staff in Afrikan " doesn't the Mrs. have a lovely a$$ and big T--s, I'd like to #$%^ her a good one" you should have seen their faces when I replied in Afrikan " I have" then proceeded to teach this 30 yr old PH a few good old fashion Yankee manners!

quote:

Your mom’s 65 and you fought in WWII and turned 80 this year? That really leaves me scratching my head, I must admit. Are you talking about your 65 year old pack-muleYankee mother from the lower 48 who raised you on that farm you own and hunt? Or is this your hundred year old half-black South African mother who taught you your good Yankee manners so you could slap around your PH after he said something about your wife in “Afrikanâ€? Good thing you speak fluent “Afrikanâ€, by the way. I never heard of that lingo myself, but since you are from South Africa and were raised there, you probably speak “Afrikan†and Afrikaans and Ebonics and everything else they speak over there.

At times, it is important for you to be 80 years old and have served in WWII and Korea. Wounded no less. End of story on those posts. At other times, you served in Vietnam, wounded again. No mention of those other wars. I want the whole story. Did you also fight in the Spanish American War?

You are a retired lawyer, I see. One who interrupted his lawyer career to have a gun shop, repair guns all the time, also fight in at least three wars, and wear out three Dillons. You qualified for the Olympics with a revolver you built in the 60’s while fighting in the Vietnam War. Your parents are in their mid 60’s and can still carry whole mooses out of the woods on their backs. This is a confusing timeline. Your parents are about 15 years younger than you are.

Perhaps you were adopted. Yeah! That’s it! Now your life story is completely consistent and plausible.

Mister, whoever you are, you are a filthy liar and a troll. It doesn't so much bother me that this is what you are or that you visit these forums. A lot of filthy lying trolls visit these forums, and I generally pay them no mind. What really bugs me is that you are impolite. You jump into topics of which you have no knowledge. You lie about guns you have never owned. You offer grossly inaccurate reloading advice, and you excoriate innocent and well meaning parties as you do this.

You are not a veteran.
You are not a wounded WWII veteran.
You are not a Korean War POW.
You are not a wounded Vietnam veteran.
You are not 80 years old.
Your mother is not in her 60's.
You were not born in South Africa.
You have never been to South Africa.
You don't know much about guns.
You don't know anything about reloading.
You offer nothing but rudeness and disinformation to discussions.

You do remind me of another user name that lies about his experience and his gun collection. His trademark is that he insults other forum members and is very insistent upon his lies and insufficiently googled information being correct.

Get a life.

H. C.

Wow! Somebody did their homework! Nice job. beer

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Iv'e hunted SA for 25 years and (IMO) it's good for what it's good for.....that is to say it has a great infrastructure and offers some excellent plains game hunting. In other words it's "Africa for beginners"

Sure it has problems. There's lots of people in the hunting industry here who try to sell it as what it's not. An example of this is that it's not a place to find good DG hunting.

The strength of the rand is making is expensive at the moment and there are other deals in Namibia and Botswana that offer similar PG hunting at lower prices.....but the rand won't stay strong forever.

The PH situation is generally not as good as elsewhere.....but that is now thankfully improving.

But for me the biggest problem is that there is a far too high a percentage of crooks and half assed operators here in SA and no-one seems to be doing enough to get them out of the industry.......and that includes PHASA whom I would dearly like to see do considerably more.

That said, there are plenty of dodgy operators elsewhere in Africa also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John the Greek,
What the hell are you talking about, I have no clue what your insinuating..our trophy fees are very inexpensive and in line...Now the rest of us are talking plainsgame and you jump in and accuse me of over selling buffalo..I do not sell any dangerous game hunts in RSA, so your dead wrong and just stirring your usual shit.Beware of Greeks in tennis shoes. wave

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I like South Africa for several reasons. Among them are the beauty of the country, and such diversity: beautiful beaches, deserts, lush rain forests, scrub brush, mountains, rivers, lakes, etc. As they say, "A world in one country". I've found the people to be hospitable, and for the most part, real down to earth. Good roads, I don't need to take an expensive charter to get from one place to another. Tremendous diversity of cultures and history (the Zulu history is quite fascinating). If one does his research, he can find very large properties to hunt under fair chase conditions. Great food, and oh those great South African wines.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I bust my butt all year so I can go hunting and enjoy the whole day a foot. I can't do that if I have to sleep on a board or rocks, wake up with a stiff back and eat cold food and have sand in my coffee!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I want to hunt on foot in a remote area with good game populations and without hunting pressure. I could care less about infrastructure, highways, beaches, swimming pools, luxury lodges, wine, coffee, and gourmet food. I will be happy to eat mealie meal or moldy potatoes and sleep on the ground (in my bug jacket). If it rains, all I need is a tarp over my head. However, I do appreciate access to water to wash the b.o. off.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ballbuster, thanks for clarification.

HenryC470, thanks for the clarification.

Dungbeetle

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Guests

There are some very rude people in this thread, some very knowledgeble people, some chancers and some should we say characters BUT they all have their own point of view which we respect but dont necessarily believe (-:

I will SUM it up quite simply and say

Hunting is South Africa can be equated to WOMEN .... they all are nice except SOME are BETTER than others

Have a wonderful hunt in sunny RSA

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frankly i quite like south africa, hunted all over and most of it has been great hunting, tough game with plenty of scope for movement , stalking and such, no real problems except for having a clean sometimes luxurious lodge or camp to sleep in. No issues except the occaisional problems with too much hot water, or decisions like whether to have another glass of good wine or to pass and go straight to the whiskey.

When i go to RSA i go on HOLIDAY! if i want a life changing DG hunt, i'll it'll be in zim, moz, tanz, but honestly the rates i see and provide work out much better in RSA than in the really wild places.

The really wild lands must be done expedition style and good god does that cost a bomb. flights, charters, bribes etc.

sigh in RSA you pay for what you get, my hunters get in, hunt, have a great time and come out. Often asian hunters have only 5 days in which to travel and hunt. In some places in RSA this is very possible.

I keep going back and so do many of my clients, like them i may do zim.moz.tanz occaisionally, but when i need my fix quick, RSA is always there.

good research on the troll HC

cheers tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Never think of yourself as a know it all.
SA is a good place for first time African hunters.
SA is also good for the family hunters. A lot of honeymoon couples hunt SA.
And should be for the veteran as well. I had a client who had his 42 African Safari with me in South Africa.
I know of a client who shot his first leopard in SA after 14 unsuccessful leopard hunts in Africa.

The day that you think you are better than you are animal in pursue, well my friend the smallest of animal will take you for a long walk.
I always wonder what goes through your mind Mr, Client when I have to track your wounded animal the whole blinking day?
Was the shopping list to easy obtainable in your opinion and you thought that this animal was just one tick away from completing the list?

Well here we are, sore feet hot and bothered.
Thank you

Tell it as it is!

Posts: 29 | Location: South Africa (Limpopo) | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I was simply alluding to the fact that in RSA, more than any other country it seems, the overall hunt costs are always VERY similar. Bargains are exceedingly rare and worthy of suspicion in my opinion. One may find fabulously low daily rates but the trophy fees with that operator will usually if not always be high enough to compensate or more. Absent this balancing of costs, I would frankly worry about the quality of the operation. Similarly if one finds an operator with very low trophy fees, the daily rates are usually inflated. Again, if not, I would be suspicious. Many of the cape buffalo hunts I have seen in RSA, whether you sell them or not, are the perfect example of this....$400 per day or less BUT a trophy fee of five figures. If your dream operator is the exception to this rule, then congrats!
As for "stirring the usual shit"....well, I dont play favorites or hold my tongue if that is what you mean. Big Grin wave

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know the first time I hunted Africa it was in Natal the vergataion was thick and the hunting was good I took seven head in fourteen days which I thought was great.

I raved about the trip to my friends when I got home and one of the things I noticed most about Africa (after hunting the states and canada) I said "I now know I can have fun hunting with out being cold, stink and eat poor food". I have never eaten the quailty of food I get in Africa in any NA hunting camp, oh yea you can request certain food in African camps and not be told "we don't do that."

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote