Find
Notify
Tools

Dande East in June for Elephants
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
Anyone hunted elephants in Dande East in June? How was it? Many elephants? PG? Buffalo? Sable?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, I hunted Dande East for 15 days in 2005 but it was late April. It is an excellent elephant area and you could shoot a great duggaboy there but it would not be my first pick for plains game. Buzz has it now and I assume they are working it hard for Ele. It is one of the best places I have ever seen to work the roads and see where the bulls have been in the crops and then track them out. The only problem I could see for June is that it is rather late for the crops. I think they are mostly harvested by mid May. This means the bulls are off somewhere else. Does not mean you cannot find them but it will be different. East is also close to the Moz border and several times we had to stop the chase due to the ele going into Moz. As to plains game I saw some very good Kudu there and unless I am getting too old a few Roan. Not sure if it was that Safari or the next one in Bots but I think Dande East. I did shoot a 38" Sable there but they are not plentiful. Elephant and Buffalo, yes, I just hope you are not too late but I doubt Buzz would steer you wrong if it is. The camp is a small camp and not designed for more than 2 hunters but it is nice, clean and right by the airstrip. Somewhere around there unless he was shot in Moz is a monster Ele. We almost got him day 1 and hunted him hard the rest of the hunt, so hard I turned down other 50lb or so bulls. I did shoot a huge tuskless bull on about the 4th day as I had a tuskless permit also. It is posted in the ele pictures.

Call me at 248-802-8249 if you want to talk more about Dande East. Glad to tell you what I know and Buzz knows the area well I am sure.

Regards,

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, I just checked out
Buzzs post. If there was any way you could do it and get there the April dates are your best chance at a good ele in my opinion. Maybe the first part of the May dates will be ok as well. For this area, this is a good deal and it is hunting elephant the right way. Also, if you are lucky you can get a tuskless buffalo (sorry Buzz, had to do it)

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha Ha Big Bear I like the "tuskless buffalo" comment....funny what a comma can do Cheers

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Just in case it helps, I was in Dande September 2008. Saw lots of elephant and buffalo and lots of their tracks. Pretty much saw ele and buffalo every day.

Saw very little in the way of plains game: a couple of wartys, a couple of klipspringers, five or six zebra, one kudu (a monster!), one grysbok, three bushbuck. Saw about ten sable cows and young. Lots of lionesses.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, were you in Dande East? As I mentioned I saw some great Kudu as well but did not see any lions, thus my question on which area. Dande South is loaded with Lions. Maybe East too now, just curious.

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Oops,sorry, Dande North

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari Lawyer
Sorry you would be wasting your time.
I am there with Buzz in May and we will have shot them all dancing
Seriously, whilst I agree with the previous post about April being better you always have the chance of one of those big boys coming over from Moz.
Good luck and I will try to leave you one.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote