THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Would you make the change if you were me?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you make the change if you were me?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Help, 33 days to go and now this schedule change bull!! An already long two days is now longer.

Would you if you could, leave a day sooner from JFK instead of ATL, stay over at Afton House and then on to Durban the next morning.

This would be intead of getting to JNB on Thursday on to Durban Thurs afternoon,then on to Zululand Friday morning to begin hunting Friday.

I know the stars must align right to get this done and a lot depends on my daughters school guidance counselor giving the green light to one more missed day.

BUT SHOULD I KEEP PLUGGING AWAY

Thanks

Dulcinea

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Yes, the non-stop from NY will save you at least 2 hours. You get to relax and acclimate for a day in Jo'burg. The Afton House is very comfortable. We always schedule a night at Afton House on arrival and another before departure.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. That is as long as you dont get raped on the prices. Besides allowing for a shorter flight, a night at the Afton House will allow for any connection glitches and give a restfull night to get over jet lag. You will end up with more time hunting as a result and better enjoy it.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That's some good advice Dulcinea.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dulcinea,

I am looking into the same..I have an extra day before the hunt so I do not loose any time..But a shorter flight will be much better....

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
You can't be serious about the counselor can you? As if an extra day in Africa will be a detriment to her education rather than an asset?

I'm sorry but this sort of stuff is one of the reasons I left the public education domain and started a not for profit with my wife, an equally disenchanted education professional.

Anyway, if the counselor gives you a hard time and you need an advocate send me a PM or email.

Mark

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We don't know your full story, but when our kids were in school and we wanted to take them on an international trip; we did not ask the school, we told the school. Fortunately, the schools system here seemed to understand the benefits of travel.

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our concern for Kates school was not to miss a final exam. We have no problem with the school just wanted to make sure she did not get an incomplete mark by us over looking something.

It looks like the change will work,if I had not tried to save a vacation day we probably would have left from JFK to begin with. As time got closer I realized I needed to take that day anyway, the flight delays were the push I needed to make the change.

Shawn at Gracy Travel has bent over backwords to make this work.

I have already been in contact with Louis at Afton House. Tommorrow I call Bonwa Phala and check to see if they can deal with this.

More later,
Dulcinea

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two years ago one of the gentleman who went with us took his 16 year old son. The school was really unreasonable about it. This kid was a straight A student. He missed two weeks of school but did homework every night in Africa. Two of his teachers saw fit two give him D's because he "wasnt there to do the work." One of them was his world histroy teacher. After arguing with the teacher and getting nowhere he talked the father talked to the board. He asked why they didnt have the child write a paper on RSA history, the Boar War etc. The kid got to visit many battlefields as well as cultural places as well as hunt. It was very obivious it was either a case of anti-hunting or the power trip and politics that comes with tenure. Either way, besides being unfare to the young man, what a bunch of BS!

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote