Find
Notify
Tools

Checking firearms at Dulles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
I'm headed to JNB next July, departing from Dulles - anyone have any insight as to how TSA and the airlines are checking our firearms at this particular airport? (since we all know the level of consistency between APs)....

Not that it won't change between now and then but I figure it's best to start thinking about it now.. I plan on using my TuffPak - it's never let me down so far...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went through there on my way to Zim this August and had no problems on either leg of the trip. Quick and easy.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my African hunting trips start Dulles. I have never had any problem. Everyone I have had to deal with has been very kind (confused at times) but no problem. I always arrive at check in about 3 hours before flight time.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
This was posted by JPK on the "TSA Locks" thread, and echoes my experiences at Dulles (based on 3 trips out/in). I'm driving to and flying out of there again in March.

I think the people who had problem recently at Dulles are mostly connecting from other flights (if this is your situation, let it be known and perhaps they can detail their experiences).

quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Here, near Washington, DC, tThe ticket agent checks the guns and then they are taken, along with you, too a TSA area where you wait outside and they go through your gun case...JPK

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guns were checked at Dulles. The TSA guy opened the case and looked things over. Then he closed and locked the case. The passenger has to stand pretty far back and can't see too well to verify that things are put back properly. There was a HUGE mound of suitcases waiting to be checked, and I had to sneak my gun case in front to avoid missing my flight.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Yes, good point Dan, they will not let you touch the case (which I've experienced at other airports recently), so the easier it is to re-pack - the better. I don't use a TP but an SKB case which is easy for them. Also, stay by your case until it disappears on the conveyor belt, although at the ticketing counter they will/should tell you to accompany your case to TSA. Most of all, don't dwell on this, and knowing that the PH has a spare w/ammo helps in this respect.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
I live in DC and went from Dulles to JHB (Oliver Tambo or Thambo Int'l Airport as it is now styled) in August.

Checked in at SAA counter. Went with airline staffer who carried the tagged and unlocked cases to the TSA area. (Be careful NOT to let the airline put a tag around the handle of your gun case if you have a case that splits to open, dividing the handles!) There, told the TSA person what was in the cases and provided keys to the suitcase. The gun case is combination locked. He opened and looked into the gun case where my double rifle and shotgun were broken down, and locked the case by spinning dials. He then went into the suitcase, opened the metal box containing the ammo, checked cursorily and locked the metal box with my key, closed and locked the suitcase and gave me back the keys. Took relatively little time and was done efficiently and professionally.
(NOTE: if you are traveling by air within South Africa, after you get your temporary firearms permit, you will need to check in at the airline counter and then deliver your guns/ammo to the Firearms office at the domestic terminal where they will check serial numbers against your permit. They will also take JUST the box containing your ammo. So, when you check in domestically and get baggage tags, take the ammo box out of the suitcase and get a tag for it as well as the gun case. The suitcase will then stay with the domestic airline counter to go to the plane as normal baggage, while you go to the Firearms office with your baggage- tagged guncase and tagged ammo box.)

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

I love my TuffPak but it is more difficult for inspection than a traditional case...

I solved the problem with flying to Alaska to hunt - I keep guns there at my friends house.

Maybe I need to do the same in Africa.. :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has it become common practice in US airports when you check a firearm, that you are required to open your guncase at the check-in counter, have contents inspected (loaded firearms?) in the presence of a TSA employee, inspection tag placed in the case and the case relocked??

This was the procedure I went through recently in the Midland/Odessa airport in TX. I was not aware of the requirement to open the guncase and have it physically inspected at the check-in counter - until now, I have simply assured the person at the check-in, that my gun is in a locked case, unloaded, ammo separate etc. So I was somewhat taken aback by the need to open my case and complained loudly through gritted teeth, which needless to say did not go down well with the check-in agent... If I know this is standard practice, I can at least try to get used to the idea and perhaps pack accordingly. As it was, my takedown guncase was inside my duffel, so the procedure involved unpacking and repacking all my dirty underwear as well... Roll Eyes

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew out of Dulles this May with 6 people, 5 gun cases, and 7 firearms total. Got to the SAA check in 3 hours before the flight. Absolutely no problem checking the guns, no problems with TSA who were prompt and courteous. 15 minutes to clear security. The whole process from drop off to sitting at the gate was less then 30 minutes.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho

The airline agent inspection that you describe has been the normal one for 10 years +/- since I've flown with guns frequently.

That said, the inspection requirement has been ignored on almost all my post 9/11 flights since TSA has been tasked with inspection. Not sure why, maybe I've just been lucky.

I've also not had TSA do anything other than x-ray the rifle case itself recently, only had the rifles actually inspected by TSA way back at the beginning of TSA era.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Not likely you'll ever be able to leave rifles anywhere in Africa what with license requirements restricted to residents unless you get the Temporary Firearms Import Permit visiting hunters are accorded. Very much econd best is borrowing a rifle from your outfitter.

MHO, yes, for years and years at Dulles the airline always has you open the case, not so much for inspection, but so that you can put into it the little day-glo tag that you sign saying the firearm is empty.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Scott,
I live in DC and went from Dulles to JHB (Oliver Tambo or Thambo Int'l Airport as it is now styled) in August.

Checked in at SAA counter. Went with airline staffer who carried the tagged and unlocked cases to the TSA area. (Be careful NOT to let the airline put a tag around the handle of your gun case if you have a case that splits to open, dividing the handles!) There, told the TSA person what was in the cases and provided keys to the suitcase. The gun case is combination locked. He opened and looked into the gun case where my double rifle and shotgun were broken down, and locked the case by spinning dials. He then went into the suitcase, opened the metal box containing the ammo, checked cursorily and locked the metal box with my key, closed and locked the suitcase and gave me back the keys. Took relatively little time and was done efficiently and professionally.
(NOTE: if you are traveling by air within South Africa, after you get your temporary firearms permit, you will need to check in at the airline counter and then deliver your guns/ammo to the Firearms office at the domestic terminal where they will check serial numbers against your permit. They will also take JUST the box containing your ammo. So, when you check in domestically and get baggage tags, take the ammo box out of the suitcase and get a tag for it as well as the gun case. The suitcase will then stay with the domestic airline counter to go to the plane as normal baggage, while you go to the Firearms office with your baggage- tagged guncase and tagged ammo box.)

Regards, Tim

What do the guys do that don't have their ammo in a "Locked "container? Just in plastic boxes or original factory boxes.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3992 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I don't know as I always travel with ammo in a container that can lock because of the way to transport that ammo on domestic flights in South Africa and Namibia.

Had once thought that airlines in the U.S. want that ammo in a locked box, but I've successfully argued that an abs plastic suitcase with side locks and a combination front lock, (or presumably a lockable tuffpak) is the equivalent of a locked box and the airline superviser agreed.
Regards, Tim

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
On my recent trip - going from Denver to Dulles to J-Berg to Windhoek-- bag apes at Dulles misplaced both my bags - bags showed up two days later in Windhoek. Seems that last year quite a few bags did not successfully make the transfer on connecting flights. PH where we hunted said that of their clients - 4 out of 10 clients going through Dulles with connections did not receive their bags on time. Van driver that made the 6 hour drive to deliver the bags said that he had 14 bags to deliver on that trip.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Terry,

I don't know as I always travel with ammo in a container that can lock because of the way to transport that ammo on domestic flights in South Africa and Namibia.

Regards, Tim

Tim:

I hae been flying around SA Domestaic on SAA for 10 years, and have never had them take my locked box and ship it separately. What am I doing wrong?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3992 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I too, have never had to ship my ammo separately from my suitcase when going domestic in South Africa. Of course, they again check your rifles and their serial numbers, but I have never had them ask at the second SAPS checkpoint (after check in at domestic) for the ammo and to inspect it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry and UEG,

For many years I never thought about it, just kept ammo in suitcase. Then, on a trip from Windhoek to Katima Mulilo, the baggage check person asked me to separate the ammo. Fortunately I could. This August, going from Joburg to Richards Bay, the baggage check person said that they'd rather ship the suitcase with other such luggage and could I please take the ammo box with the rifle to process through the South African Police Firearms office. Brings to mind that wonderful phrase, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Moral: be prepared for whatever.
Best for the New Year,
Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
On my last thrip thru JoBurg they took my ammo out of my suitcase and wrapped duct tape around the boxes, put a shipping tag on it, gave me the stub and shipped it seperately. I'm amazed that 5 2-round plastic ammo boxes made it all the way from Jo-Burg thru NYC to LAX and that I actually received it. They never told me why.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update on your experience Tim. I too, flew from Jo'burg to Richards Bay this last August hunting with PH's Brad Rolston and Ally Robbins, and had no one ask to take our ammo out of both my wife and my's suitcases and to ship it separately domestically. The ammo was all in their original boxes and was not packed in a separate lockable box. I had stopped doing that the last 2 trips, even though I had done so on trips before. Our suitcases were zip tied (locked) again to go through the domestic flight with Zip ties that I keep for that purpose in my carry on. The guns were, of course, rechecked in domestic, but not the ammo, and the ammo flew through to Richards Bay still in our two suitcases zip tied shut. Just my experience from 4 months ago. I had ammo for .375 H&H, .300 WSM, .270 Win. and 30-06, corresponding to the four rifles that we had with us. Yes, you're right. Be prepared for anything that happens. And be prepared for inconsistencies.