THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Swift Scirocco bullets anyone use them on PG?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift Scirocco bullets anyone use them on PG?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any experiences, I have some 180 grain for a .30-06 and thought they might be a good pg bullet. I am a big fan of the Barnes X, but I got these bullets for free.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I used the .30 Cal 200 grain A-Frames in Namibia last year on everything from Kudu to Rock Hyarx. I recovered 3 of them and they preformed perfectly. I would not hesitate to use the Scirocco's. The Barnes X are also a good Bullet. I would use whichever is the most accurate in my rifle. The rifle I used was a .300 RUM

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you will be dissapointed, also very accurate in my rifle.

JL

Posts: 64 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 165 grn Sciroccos out of my 300 Win Mag. When I took my 300 to South Africa I switched bullets to 180 grn Barnes Triple Xs. What a mistake! I took 6 animals (so the Barnes Bullets did work) but every bullet went in and out with very little damage with no blood trail to follow. Sciroccos do a lot more damage and they make blood trials easier to find.

I have used Sciroccos on Elk, Deer, Antelope and hogs here in the states. In my option they fly better and hit harder than Barnes.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 180 gr. Scirocco's exclusively on my '08 PG hunt. Was shooting them out of a 300 RUM. I get 5/8" bench groups from them and all shots reulted in one shot kills.

Of course you need to make sure your gun likes them but if it does I see no problem with using them.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Also I would tell you to get a copy of "The Perfect shot" for African Animals, and be prepared to make shots out to 500 yards. My guess is you will have more shots at 350+ than you will at under 350 yards.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
350+ yards!

All my PG shots in Zim were 150 yards or less. Check with your outfitter on expected yardage based on where you are hunting.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Have used them on some plains game in 02 and did a super job... I too love the Barnes bullets also...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
Also I would tell you to get a copy of "The Perfect shot" for African Animals, and be prepared to make shots out to 500 yards. My guess is you will have more shots at 350+ than you will at under 350 yards.

I have only hunted South Africa and Zim for plains game but I've taken dozens of animals and the furthest was just at 300 yards the vast majority were under 150 yards.
And that includes the Karoo and the Kalahari where it is wide open.
As to the OP swift Siroccos are a decent bullet and should do just fine for you.

One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
Yes, a 180 grain 30 cal dropped my 176 pound #43 SCI leopard. They work great.

TJB

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a nice old warthog in RSA right in the boiler room at 50 yards with a 180 grain in a .300 RUM. He ran fifty yards, so I switched to the 7mm Remmy with A Frames. Had better luck.

They're a good deer bullet. Hobus at Swift Bullets told me that they were originally designed for long range shooting, but guys were blasting whitetail with them at 80 yards and getting meat in the trees, hence the Scirocco II. It has a slightly thicker jacket. They're still a good 300/400/500 yard bullet, though.

------------------------------------------------

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lot of experience with them only taking a half dozen or so PG up to the size of water buck. They worked fine though.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a copy of "The Perfect Shot" - the video, the hardcover and field guide. On my last hunt to Africa I used Barnes X bullets killed multiple pg animals and did not shoot one further than 125 yards. I was really curious as the Scirroco performance.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote