New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last minute suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, I first want to thank you guys for all the help planning and preparing for my first African safari. I will be hunting plains game in RSA Limpopo region with a handgun. I have been over the tips section and think I am just about ready. If you guys could give a first timer one piece of advice , what would it be? Thanks again.

Posts: 274 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Don't put too much pressure on yourself. The occasional bad shot/missed shot happens.

Take lots of pictures of everything (not just of the trophies).

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the Limpopo regin last may. you should enjoy it. If you have the chance take a limpopo bush buck very beautiful animal. shoot straight ,take your time , pick your shot. my
hunt was if you wound you pay.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Take lots of pictures, keep a daily log, and above all... Have Fun!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Relax and go with the flow you'll be on Africa time. Don't be too hard on yourself. Above all have fun.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga sixgunner:
OK, I first want to thank you guys for all the help planning and preparing for my first African safari. I will be hunting plains game in RSA Limpopo region with a handgun. I have been over the tips section and think I am just about ready. If you guys could give a first timer one piece of advice , what would it be? Thanks again.

Distances are somehow "different" over there...(or am I the only one this happens to?) what I mean is it's the terrain, the lighting, the unfamiliar plants, etc... they all come together to distort your distance-measuring ability of the naked eye.

Look around, take note and familiarize yourself with the surroundings, and don't be afraid to ask the PH to confirm the suspected distance -you'll probably be surprised the first time or two.

Other than that - HAVE FUN!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Forget the handgun shame and take a rifle thumb !!!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Trust the judgement of your professional hunter, and refrain form arguing with him.

AD

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
A good tip on being patient. You see so many animals you tend to want to rush your shot, but usually you see them again, so be patient. The daily log is also a great idea. Contact your PH if you can & see if you can bring him anything. We have so many things available to us on this side of the pond. On my last trip over my PH wanted me to bring him duct tape & Altoids! Have a great trip & make sure we get the report. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
sixgunner, remember you know how you can shoot and practiced for...Like shooting a whitetail put the sights right where it counts and you know what to do make the shot...make us proud
Your in Africa no rushing take it easy...
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As LOCHI would say" get ready quickly for the shot, but take your time squeezing the trigger". Nothing wrong with a handgun, it will help if the PH can range for you.

Wimpie
Come and enjoy Africa, leave only your tracks and take home loades of memories.

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Get a copy of Auduban Society Field Guide To African Wildlife or The Perfect Shot. Study the game that will be found where you are hunting.This can greatly help you in spotting it there.Dont overpack dont forget anything.It really sucked last June driving 1 hour one way for smokes,but the ice cream bar made it well worth it.Get something from your doctor to to sleep on the plane ride.I've sat next to to many guys who never shut up or slept on the trip over.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Ga Sixgunner,

I had remembered your question from when you had first posted it. I have a suggestion for you.

When you get to your detination, one of the first things you'll do is go find a spot and make sure your gun is shooting properly. Everyone will be looking at you, the PH will be wondering whether you'll be able to hit anything with that bloody little hand cannon, the tracker will be wondering whether he gets a beer tonight after you knock off a kudu and your hunting buddy will just be looking over your shoulder. Then that first shot goes about 4" wide.

My suggestion is, before you start messing with your scope, shoot another time or two and ensure that first shot was in fact you or the scope setting. I saw a fellow hunter shoot 11 times before he put his scope nearly back to his origional settings. Kind of got things off to a little frustrating start for him.

Good luck and look forward to hearing your hunting stories upon your return.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely keep a daily journal. You will be amazed how many times you will refer to it after a few years. Also, when you get your pictures, make notes on the back that someone seeing them for the first time would understand.
Have a ball and remember this is a vacation not a quest! thumb

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The best advice I can give you is not to have any pre-conceived ideas of how the hunt should be.

Just relax and enjoy every minute of being there.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take off your watch and don't put it on again until it is time to come home. You are in Africa!
Don't just fly in and hunt and fly out...go be a tourist too. Seem something while you are there besides camp and the bush.
Take a morning or afternoon off and just enjoy no pressure, catch your breath, regroup and get after it all once again. I do that on about day 3 after the blood lust is cooled some and jet lag has taken over. I find it helps me hunt better later.
It is your safari and not that of your PH. Enjoy!!!

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I only have two suggestions: enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, and trust your P.H.