New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Goring
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Johann CAlitz, one of the most famous PH's in modern history with thousands of Buffalo behind him and near that many elephants, conducter of the most famous PH school and producer of many films and a good friend of many of us was gored seriously last week by a Buffalo...

He has multiple fractures of his ankle, broken arms and legs, punctured lungs and punctured abdomen and perhaps the loss of use in one arm. He was tossed 3 or 4 times..

Apparently, according to Butch Searcy,( Butch and I book for Johann ) Johann and a Sheik friend of his were hunting Buffalo with a French PH..The sheik took Johann on a Safari with him as a hunter....They spotted a Bull at long range and the PH told the sheik to shoot it, Johann said it was to far and to get closer, but the PH said shoot anyway, the sheik did and gut shot the bull, which charged immediately...the PH froze and didn't shoot and at the last minute Johann pushed him out of the way and stepped forward to kill the Bull which now was way to close for comfort, Johann stepped into a hole and broke his ankle in 5 places, the PH took off for parts unknown and Johann recovered enough for a inefective shot but it was too late and he got mauled all over the terrain and tossed all over hell before the sheik finally had since enough to shoot the Buffalo....

Johann will be a long time recovering from this one...It was touch and go for awhile.

One thing for sure if someone with Johanns experience can get it, then anyone can...Happens every year, two or three times.
Who was that guy on here that said, nothing every happens to hunters in Africa?? to him I say Get a life, it does....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Prayers and well wishes for his recovery.

------------------
It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound men with their hearts in a safe-deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it considered unfriendly to ask for the name of the French PH ?

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This unfortunate accident should make us all realize that after the animal is down and we are taking pictures the results could have been different. Just because nothing bad happened does not make hunting dangerous game completely safe.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Ray, please extend our best wishes and a speedy recovery to Johann. In this situation, Johann was a client in the care of a supposed �capable� PH. We place a lot of trust in our Professional Hunters in dangerous game environments. If the PH is not up to the task, the client better be. Fortunately, Johann had the experience to recognize the situation had suddenly gone to shit. He probably saved the life of the Sheik. I hope the Sheik understands the debt he owes to Johann.

As far as the french PH is concerned, he should be brought before PHASA. If he is found guilty of jeopardizing the lives of his clients, this should be the end of his hunting career. He should be sentenced to two weeks of mine clearing services along the Kruger-Mozambique border. That should give him just enough time to step on at least one - let�s hope it is a Bouncing-Betty.

�French PH� - Isn�t that the definition of an oxymoron?

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I hope Johann has a fast and full recover.
It seems to me he acted not only as a brave hunter but also as the "only and true" PH on that hunting party.

This got me worried! I will be hunting for buffalo next month in Tanzania with a French organisation (French PH ??!!).

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's terrible. Johann will be in my prayers. When something like that happens to a seasoned pro, it demonstrates why it is called dangeropus game.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Does Johan have an e-mail address we could send our 'get well soon' wishes?

You would be doing safari clients everywhere a major service by naming both the PH involved and the outfitter he works for.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Butch Searcy>
posted
Gentlemen, I want to stress one thing, we really should refrain from condemning anyone. The story as told to me could have been misinterpreted. No one thinks anymore of Johan than I. The actual events will come out. Until then let's just pray for a speedy recovery for Johan. And remember what Ray said, it could happen to anyone on any hunt.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Please send my best wishes to him and his family and a speedy recovery.

God bless.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Ray-I've hunted buffalo with Johan and he truly is a legend. I was just thinking of calling him to line up a hunt next year. He knows Buff and usually can size up a clients abilities pretty quickly and he certainly knows how to get out of a bad situation. Please give him my best wishes for a speedy recovery.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Santa Claus>
posted
As I said on the other forum, it makes you sad, and hope he fully recovers.But, I got a letter today stating that Johann will not have a license to hunt next year as they have taken away his priviledges. The Safari Co. can hunt, but not him.It spells it out in the letter, the reasons why have nothing to do with this mauling I think, but things in the past.I also must state that he has the right of appeal, and maybe his side will be heard..Gods Speed Johann

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about going hunting in Africa but I do know people are people. Just 'cause this guy is a Frenchie doesn't mean they have a predilection for turning tail and running.

[This message has been edited by Roger Rothschild (edited 10-13-2001).]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bjorn Klappe>
posted
Hunting big game can sometimes be dangerous. Isn�t that a reason we hunt big game?
Bjorn

<IronMan>
posted
quote:
This got me worried! I will be hunting for buffalo next month in Tanzania with a French organisation (French PH ??!!).

Oooh, come on! Just because this PH did a misstake and he happend to be french doesn�t make all french PH bad!!! I don�t think you should worry more about this trip just because it is a french organization! you are being a bit silly dude

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
It must be the month for it! The owner of a property that I hunt pigs on was done over by a water buff cow last week. The horns punctured his legs to the bone, as he's not a real big fella he ended up getting tossed pretty high. One good thing has come from this though, he now has a cow on his place that he doesn't like all that much, and wants it knocked off. I can hear the buff steaks sizzling now!!
Bakes

Posts: 7987 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Santa C,
I wouldn't pay too much attention to this silliness about taking Johanns license away. It wasn't Johann that did the deed, it was one of his PH's, and it was a minor infraction, that will be settled in good time....It is under appeal, that normally means you have to wait and pay the right official. Having dealt with the indigenous Govts of Africa, that would be my call.

Those of you who are supposed to understand Africa should know and be able to read between the lines, that some things are done by some African Governments just to gain a little cash in the pocket....

This sort of thing is common place and Africa is not the USA...In fact Americans have a bad habit of trying to judge everything by our standards when the rest of the world operates on a different system..In Mexico it is the Mordita system, Every country has a name for it, It is a bribe on top of the table, a well excepted practice...A foreigner once told me the difference was that they didn't hide it, so it worked, but that we (Americans) on the other hand, passed the gold under the table, so it doesn't work for you.

As to the remarks about the French PH's by some, they may be correct or they may be wrong..The thing that bothers me about Tanzania is a lot of PH's have bought their PH licenses under the table I suspect, and may or may not be qualified ...there are a some black, Portuguese, Spanish, French, and American PH's that are suspect, and some whom I know, that are not suspect..I won't go into detail on this on this board as it would gain nothing...Mostly I try to deal with Zimbabwe PH's that have been schooled, as they are the best IMHO. I suppose, like any industry, there are good and bad.

One thing I will make real clear is that Johann Calitz, is the most respected PH in Africa today, Runs the best PH schools in Africa, and is a law abiding person of the highest integrity..A true sportsman my any measure and this problem will just fade away..if, he in fact, is ever able to hunt again.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Ray,

Best wishes to Johann. I hope it turns out better than it sounds.

I'm out of town this weekend, that's why I'm so long replying.

Don

<Santa Claus>
posted
I was just informing the ones that were thinking about going next year with Johann, nor am I trying to minimize the extent of injuries. I received an e-mail yesterday that said It was Johann's license that was being yanked, and as you say it might be cleared up.You might want to give Causey a call and find out what's up. I receive his e-mail extra which is different than his Hunt report. It said the blame is on Johann, and not the ph's...I hope he can get it taken care of. I do understand that accusations do not mean guilt, but apparently the official's think so.

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Sounds like Johann is only guilty by association with the offending PH and client that switched 35 pound ivory for 65 pound ivory they found in the field, after having legally killed the smaller elephant. This would amount to theft of government property.
And the other incident was shooting a buffalo on the wrong side of the boundary line. That PH and client could have made an innocent mistake.

Best wishes to the Dean of Ph's, for a speedy recovery.

RAB

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Well gentelmen, I don't know anything about any infraction of the rules by Johann, or anyone else, so I will not comment on that subject. The Goring, however, is another matter, and is a problem just around the next Tsaro bush for many of us, we just don't know it yet. It stands to reason that a person who is constantly in the bush with wounded animals that bite back, this will happen sooner, or later. It happened to Terry Palmer, one of Johann's PHs in 98. It saddens me to think of a fine man, such as Johann is, all busted up, with pain on the face that is usually spread with the incessent smile that is always on Johann's face.

My prayers are with Johann, for a complete recovery, and a chance to hunt with him one day!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Paul Machmeier>
posted
What a tragedy! A great Ph, a real gentleman who loved hunting, and who was willing to talk to anyone at SCI. Briefly, my take on this is a little different as Johann may have let his guard down a little bit on this buffalo hunt. Being a friend he placed himself in the hands of a less experienced Ph who apparently besides having bad judgement, couldn't get the job done. The sequence of events must have inraveled so fast that he had little time to rectify it, saving his friends life possibly, but not enough time to get out of harms way himself. Guess what I'm saying is that it may have been advoidable if Calitz had been the prime Ph instead of a observer. Anyway it is a pity and hope for quick healing and a renewed hunting career.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that Johann tried to talk the PH into getting closer to the Buffalo, and told the sheik that 100 yards was too far for the shot, but got voted out..

I suppose and it took JOhan awhile to figure out the PH had frozen and the Buffalo just kept getting closer and noone was shooting..Thats may or may not be the case, but that is my guess on situation, based on a couple of conversations with folks that are close to the deal...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<Antonio>
posted
Ray:

Very sad event. I hope J.C. recovers soon.

Do you know anything about the rifles and calibers used? Was the buffalo alone or in a herd? What was the terrain like?

Antonio