Tools

Cape Buffalo in Missouri?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
High adventure ranch

Anyone familiar with this operation?

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope they have a strong fence [Wink]

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of those animals are basically extinct in their native habitat; thank Goodness for game ranches to keep them surviving. That dama gazelle is very large for gazelles and beautifully elegant with stilty long legs.

Posts: 174 | Location: texas | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call them and see if they have any Cape Buffalo, I'd bet they do not....It seems lots of folks are making this claim and then can't produce and just use the Buff add to get you on the line....

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I have family in Southern Missouri who raise registered Black Angus cattle.

If anyone is interested, I can arrange a "hunt".

After several months of stealthy observation, the "guides" have the lead bull's pattern well understood. They have learned that he always heads to the barn when he hears the clank of the feed wagon. A nice hunting blind has been built out of round hay bales.

Other perks:
-100% success rate
-Pay by the pound (market value)
-FDA certified beef
-Small chance of other bulls attacking after the shot

Let me know!

Kenati

P.S. Plan on bringing TALL rubber boots... shit is gettin' a lil' deep in Mizzoura!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful about the season when you go to Missouri.

The tsetse flies can be a problem.

[Razz]

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I doubt anyone at HIGH ADVENTURE has ever even seen a real Cape buffalo, and if they have I don't think it was in Missouri! [Roll Eyes]

I have a .22 lr, and I'd love to book one of those ANGUS hunts though, I dearly love a good Bar-B-Que! [Big Grin]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I called and they said they do not have any Cape Buffalo and they can't get any more. I guess it will have to be that trophy angus....

Posts: 156 | Location: Gray, Tennessee | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Anyone knows what the & up added to the price means?

Does the price depends on the size of the trophy? Like they do in Europe?

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I have never hunted one of these places but yes that is the case. It is usually a sliding scale up to a point, then the price goes up astronomically with the size of the trophy. You will see some of these guys advertise "new number 1" trophies from time to time. Enough said.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They said they can't get "anymore", they never had any in the first place, and they have to know that, since you can't get Cape Buffalo out of Africa, end of story !!

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dwhunter,

That place is a big joke with anyone in South Central Missouri who likes to hunt fair chase.
Mostly people that can't get the time off to hunt away from the area or who are physically unable to hunt in the wild, but want some mounts for their home or office.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been to a number of zoos in my lifetime but can't remember ever seeing any cape buffalo. Certainly they are not common in zoos as are rhinos, elephants, etc. And zoos are where most of the exotic game animal seedstock originated from(excess offspring). So where would someone start to acquire cape buffalo?

Posts: 174 | Location: texas | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you WERE able to import Cape buff to the U.S., what would happen after a couple of generations of living without the threat of lions?

Would they still have the same temperament?

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
If anyone has a Holstein hunt, I'm interested- they make much prettier shouldermounts [Big Grin]
Rick, I have seen bottle raised cape buffalo that are mean SOB's. The presence of lions notwithstanding, it's in their genes.
Blacktailer

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Before the Great Mugabe Land Grab, there were some ranches raising Rinderpest and Hoof and Mouth Disease free buffalo. What has happened since I am afraid to even ask. If they still exist that would be what you would have to have to import. Now getting them here, even on a cargo 747, would take more tranquilizers than I think exist . . . and the buffalo would need even more!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

HAR is what it is. A high fence operation with about 2,000 acres. I don't seem to recall anything on their website that even mentions fair chase.

I was looking for a place to hunt boar within about 500 miles of Chicago, when I found them. They are basically a hog operation with some exotics. I talked to them about a hog hunt and about a Corsican Ram hunt. I became suspicious when they said, "No problem, but the ram hunt will require a 60 mile drive." I asked what to expect in terms of distance for the ram, their response was, "Oh no further than 100 yards." There went any delusions of fair chase.

I found someone local who had been down there for hog. He said, it seemed ok. They assigned him to a guide who walked him through some wooded areas. Then suggested that he take up a position near a tree and the guide would "go try and push up them hogs"

He distinctly remembers hearing metal slam shut just before the hogs appeared. The guide suddenly appeared at his side urging him to shoot.

I am still looking for a hog hunt within about 500 miles. Never did see the sense in using a rifle on barn yard animals.

If you want to spend the money, you would do much better to go on a guided white tail hunt in southern Illinois. I was in Pike county last fall hunting quail and saw some of the bucks the bow hunters were taking. Very nice.

Of course, you have to be careful of all the escaped Cape buffalo that have drifted into Illinois from MO.

Pete