New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting the year off right
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Heard today that our first Mt. Nyala of the year was a 37 inch taken in Odo Bulo Concession yesterday.

The leopard hunters in Damaro are taking lots of pictures of leopards on the bait during daylight hours. They are waiting on a Black one to hit.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Congratulations, I think you guys have the most interesting areas and game in Africa.

Does Ethopia have any plans to get CITES quota for leopard?

Brett

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
The leopard hunters in Damaro are taking lots of pictures of leopards on the bait during daylight hours. They are waiting on a Black one to hit.
Rich Elliott

You are an evil man.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Do you have a hunting website too? I have only found the picture/tourist website thus far.

Oh yeah, congrats on starting the year off right!

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No hunting website. Things change so fast it was more trouble than it was worth.

Ethiopia has a very liberal CITES quota for leopard. It's mostly used to sell confiscated skins and the Melenistic incidence is app. 20%.
We only have 3 sport hunting leopard licenses and those are in two of our Mt. Nyala Concessions. Americans cannot import Ethiopian Leopard because of the Endangered species act. In 1977 when the questionaire went out to the range states thus facilatating the import of leopard into the USA from "Sub Saharan" Africa, Ethiopia was in the middle of the Communist Revolution and there was no one in the Game Department with enough guts or gumption to fill out the paperwork. With no hunting going on at the time it was a moot point anyhow. With our measly 3 permits we find plenty of clients outside of the USA. BTW, that's why I took mine in Zimbabwe a few years ago.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ethiopia has a very liberal CITES quota for leopard...Melanistic incidence is app. 20%.
...Americans cannot import Ethiopian Leopard ...we find plenty of clients outside of the USA.

Rich Elliott

I repeat -- you are an evil man! Please post any melanistic Leopard pictures you get (although it will make me cranky again).

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Thanks for answering the leopard question. I know I've asked before but was hoping for good news. Wink

I'm in a real lather for leopard and lesser kudu, so I'm saving my pennies for a trip to the Masi.

From what I can see, your areas in Ethopia have better lesser kudu and Ethopia is probably the only place in Africa where one might have a shot at a black leopard. One can only dream...

Best regards;
Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Helm,

The only one that comes to mind is found on page 253 of "AFRICAN HUNTER II".
Best shot Crescente ever made!
I don't have a copy of that picture. It's on the wall in Nassos' home in Addis Ababa.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mr. Helm,

The only one that comes to mind is found on page 253 of "AFRICAN HUNTER II".
Best shot Crescente ever made!
I don't have a copy of that picture. It's on the wall in Nassos' home in Addis Ababa.

Rich Elliott

Thanks -- I guess I need to buy that one. Cheaper than a leopard hunt anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

I have a coffee table book by John Kingsly Heath that shows a photo of a black leopard he shot in Ethopia. The story of where and how he shot it is included in a good chapter on Ethopia. If your really interested I'll scan an post the pitcure.

Best regards;
Brett

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett:
Charles,

I have a coffee table book by John Kingsly Heath that shows a photo of a black leopard he shot in Ethopia. The story of where and how he shot it is included in a good chapter on Ethopia. If your really interested I'll scan an post the pitcure.

Best regards;
Brett

I don't want to put you to any trouble but I would be happy to see it.

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Me too Rich.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote