THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    First post; question about 458 cal 400 gr for buffalo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First post; question about 458 cal 400 gr for buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted
Hi all,
I've lurkd for a while and enjoyed the dicussion and information here. Another AA forum member and I are contemplating our second safari. We went to Zambia about 8 yrs ago (time flies) and each took 375s as our only rifles. This time I'm thinking of taking two. The only DG animal would be buffalo. Thinking of a 458 w/ 400 gr slugs as loaded by Federal. I don't care for 375 length actions, which is part of the issue. Also, if taking a second rifle just for buffalo, it seems to make sense to consider something bigger than 375. Elephant would never be on the agenda, so the controversy about a 500 gr bullet at 2150 fps can be avoided. Thanks!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

The 400gr bullets are not made for buf penetration...If you go to Northforks in 450gr softs and 450 gr cup points they will not let you down... Or any other of the premium bullets on the market...With new powders you will not have a problem with the 458 and velocity...

Mike

Welcome to AR

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quoted for emphasis:

quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
If you go to Northforks in 450gr softs and 450 gr cup points they will not let you down.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I believe even if you called Federal they would tell you the 400gr loading is not designed for buffalo. I think you'd find the penetration lacking. Now the 450 Barnes TSX at 2300 FPS might be just the trick for buffalo. I'm a big fan of the 4-5-8 and the new monometal bullets only make it better.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Dare I say the "L" word? Well, here goes nothing - LOTT
But, I know, that dosen't address your dislike of the .375 length action.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
Dare I say the "L" word? Well, here goes nothing - LOTT
But, I know, that dosen't address your dislike of the .375 length action.

Actually, this highlights two of my own limitations, which I am willing to admit. First, I've indeed had trouble with the longer action length. In spite of practice, it seems I tend not to fully cycle such a long action. The problem was solved previously by using a Ruger No. 1. I actually really like the 375, and like the No. 1, but didn't especially want to use a single shot on buffalo. Even if everything goes well, I have some concern that it makes the PH more likely to get involved in the shooting. The other limitation, which I'll admit early on, is that recoil is an issue for me. I can shoot a 375 reasonably well, even with the high energy loads that have a little extra push. The recoil of the Lott, or even just a plain old 500 gr 458, is beyond me. If only one could get ammo for it (I like the idea of being able to get ammo if mine goes missing), the 416 Taylor would probably be just the ticket for me.

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
What about the .416 Rem? I have one and it seems to me the recoil is not much worse than my .375. That would get you both and bullet weight you're looking for and the shorter 30-06 length action.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 458wm will do all that is required and more. Load the North Forks to 2200fps or just below. Recoil is tolerable. Good trade off between velocity and bullet weight and your rifle will perform.

Also, if worse comes to worse, 458wm ammo is widely available, often even in the bush. you won't notice recoil on your buff by the way!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416 remington is based on the full length 375H&H case.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
WOW--I don't know much but I am surprised.

So the 458 400 grainer is thought not to have adequate penetration for Buff? And the 375 300 gr would? The Federal site says its 400 grain Bear Claws (not solids as JeffreyPhD specified) has a muzzle velocity of 2250.

I don't doubt you guys at all, just surprised.

And, if not suitable for buff, what do guys use the 400 grainer for? PG?

Also, looking at some info on the 458, I see that there are developed loads for 30 grains, up to 500 grains. I guess this makes the 458 a pretty versitile platform for a variety of game?

Anybody use it with 300 gr loads for PG?

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll be so pumped when you pull that trigger on the Buff with .458, you won't feel a thing. You probably won't even hear it, either.

Of course, that may make things difficult on the range, but I'm age 64 and weigh 175 and shooting 500 grain loads in a .458 Win doesn't seem much worse than shooting full house 300 grain loads in my .375, as long as I'm shooting from an offhand position.

From my very limited experience, shooting 300 grain loads from the .375 does very well on Buffalo. Penetration was excellent. I was shooting factory Remington A Frames, and they did the job. After what I've learned here, should I return, I'll load up some North Forks and try them, but the A Frame performed flawlessly for me.
Just my 2c.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a wee little thing called sectional density. The 400 gr 458 has less SD than a 300 gr 375. Otherwise, you have an overblown 45-70.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its explained by Sectional Density, a very important part of hunting big game...A 300 gr. .375 will out penetrate a 400 gr. .458 because its longer, and the rest of the explanation would probably further confuse you..Read up on SD is the best advise I can offer, then be aware that the monolithics changed this, but not as much as many seem to think, IMO you can drop down to a 450 gr. monolithic in a .458 and have a good round, but not to a 400 gr. In a 375 you can drop down to a 250 gr. monolithic and its equal to a 300 gr. stout constructed bullet.

Mostly the lighter monolithics give you a bit better trajectory I suppose.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the .450grn Barnes TSX for buff or lion

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote