THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Where did you pack your camera equiptment etc...?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where did you pack your camera equiptment etc...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was hoping for some advise on where you all put you cameras, video camera, binoculars etc.
I am thinking of putting them in my carry on bag, I really hate to put that stuff in my luggage, and worry about it the whole flight. Where do you put yours? By the way, I have my 4457 form from customs now. Do you just show-up at the check-in on the day of the flight? Sounds too easy! Thanks

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Carry-on.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I carried on the plane, all my camera, video, 2 35MM's, one loaded with Black and white and the other with color film, extra lenses, a digital and all the film, tapes, extra batteries and so on. Its a great way to make sure you capture the whole trip! I started at the house the night before I left, and ended when my trophies where delivered.
I also packed in the same bag an extra pair of undies and socks! It was a bit tight in the airplane john with my big ole butt, taking a sponge bath, washing my hair in that tiny sink and change-un undies, but damn it felt good when I finished!
I packed my binocs and range finder in my bow case.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bo, I love it!! Get your damm money's worth on that ticket! I did the same thing going to europe a few times. Gotta use them baby wipes and talcum powder too.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 4457 will be checked on your way back into the country. If at all...they didn't look at mine at all, just waved us through.

I also kept the original in my passport and had a copy in the guncase and another copy in with the cameras.

The cameras and binocs were in my wifes carry-on.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry some in my carry on and some in my gun case.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I keep my cameras in my backpack which I use as both a carry-on while on the plane and a daypack which I take on the Land Cruiser each day while hunting. While on the plane, the pack has room for anything needed to make the flight more comfortable (book, toiletries, change of clothes or jacket, ect) while easily carrying your cameras securely. Once on your hunt, add in whatever you might need for the day to your assortment of photographic equipment. Works great!
Jansport makes some good ones that can easily fill this dual purpose.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
ALWAYS, ALWAYS pack your cameras, computer and any other valuables in your carry on bags, especially if you are flying through Johannesburg.

A few years ago, I made the mistake of packing two cameras, one digital and one video, in my checked bags on the way back home.

The broke into the bag, and stole them.

Luckily, I had full insurance, and teh insurance company agreed to replace them, minus the excess on my policy.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camera and film in my carry-on. Packed the bino's and a spare scope in the Tuffpak with my rifle.

Good advice above on what to take on the plane. It is a V-E-R-Y long flight so you should do everything possible to stay comfortable.

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar

I think Spring gave you the best advise. Let your carry on do double duty as your daily camera etc. bag while hunting. Just keep your camera stuff in it all the time.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12926 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Starting this year, next month, all my camera, video equipment, bino's, extra batteries, and all film will be with me on my carry on. last year I got a pair of Nikon LX bino's stolen out of my bag in Jo'burg, along with a custom knife, ammo and some clothes.

I bought a hard case just for my equipment, checked with SAA to make sure it was small enough to go as carry on. Last year I went half the safari without my lens and extra video film...

One other thing I will carry with me is a change of clothes.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
FYI, on my last trip with Lufthansa I had my digital still and video cameras, digital wallet, binoculars, and scopes in my carry-on, but had to repack the digital wallet and binos in my checked duffel because I exceeded the allowed weight (18 kilos, as I recall) for the carry-on (I also had my meds, toiletries kit, jacket, change of clothes, reading material, etc.--in other words, all the things they tell you NOT to put in your checked luggage--in my carry-on).

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I packed my Camera and Binos in my carry-on, along with reading material and all forms and papers. I also had spare undies, meds, lotions, etc as well as a hunting outfit with boots so I could hunt without my checked baggage if necessary. I figured I could borrow rifles and ammo if necessary if they did not arrive with me. My hunt broker and PH were very helpful in the advice department. thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cameras went into the carry-on day pack, and binocs went into a locked aluminum check on "bunker".

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
carry on.

If anybody is interested I have a chart of how I pack my stuff. It is basically set up so they can lose my checked luggage piece and I can still continue the hunt with little to know inconvenience.

email me if interested.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carry on is the only way ro go for expensive gear like this,Shot slides/film for years and went totally digital just for africa due to the xay dosages at the inspection points. Bought a good quality camera day pack that did double duty, held all the related camera gear(2 bodies,lens,flash,small point an shoot model etc)had enought room and pockets for tickets,passport,water,books ambien(thank god) and peace of mind knowing the stuff was with me. Going digital I also bought a CD burner that I could make a disc from the CF cards each day. The 10 CF cards I took only took up the room of say a wallet where as a like number of rolls of film would have taken a seperate pretty big bag. Plus no hassels with asking for hand searchs of the film. End results over 1700 keeper images and memories for a life time. PS the development could have started a fund for another tripSmiler The other good thing is I could edit and delete every night.

Like your freedom...Thank a Vet.

Posts: 29 | Location: NJ | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All good advice above, Wolf. The only things in your checked-in luggage pieces should be your guns, ammo, and all of your extra clothing and footwear. Carry-on should contain camera, toiletries and a light jacket.

Just think about what you would want with you should the airlines misroute your checked-in luggage.

SAA lost mine for four days of a six day hunt once. I know.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote