Find
Notify
Tools

NW Selous in November?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
Does anyone know about the typical quality of game in the NW Selous in November - M1, R1, R2, R4 and K4?

Also, any animal specific information for this area at this time of year would be helpful e.g. good for elephant, bad for lion, the buff have moved on.

Is this time of year any better or worse for tetse? Malaria?

I have an opportunity to join a friend who has already booked this time, but I would appreciate any information anyone has on this area and the time of year.

Many thanks

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The Selous is unfenced and the game is free to roam and follow the best rains and grazing so you can never be sure, but generally it's a good time to hunt the areas you mention..... however, which areas will you be hunting, because you won't be hunting them all as you can't get all the areas on the same licence.... or at least, not without a Presidential permit. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can send you a list of folks that have hunted R2 and R4, some of them post here. I have hunted there and I hunted M1 and R1 some years past, but things change so I won't commit on those two other than it was excellent for buffalo and plainsgame about 10 years ago.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
M1, R1, R2, R4 and K4?

In my little experience the Elepant hunting should be very good in this Blocks. Lions is a different story and Leopards are everywhere...

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
Early rains can affect your hunt that time of the year. Have a back-up plan if you can for this.....

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I just checked again and the hunting area will be R2, with the option to go into the other areas for elephant and lion.

Thanks for the information. It looks like it is in general a good area, and then you pay your money and take your chances...

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bwana,

Whoever told you there's an option to go into those other areas is very much mistaken. A hunting licence will only allow you to hunt areas where the concession rights are leased to the same company. - The areas you've mentioned are leased to at least 2 different companies........ and at least one of the areas is sublet. - So that effectively means 3 seperate companies and probably more.

That said, the big elephant tend to come into R2 later in the season and there are usually a good population of buff and cats there....... So if R2 is your primary area, you should be fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
just to avoid too much confusion; Cool a paying hunter can have several licenses for several different concessions owned/leased by several different concessionaires so long as there is an agreement betweent the concessionaires for this and that individual concessionaires apply for the licenses involving their concessions. Eeker

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

I appreciate that - but if you have multiple licences that would then mean multiple licence and other fees etc and also multiple animals on those licences. For example, each licence would feature all the species. That would make for an excellent but ultra expensive hunt and I'm assuming this isn't the case here..........

I'll add that as R2 is the area mentioned, the licence will stipulate R2/R4 and at that time of year in those 2 areas, I'd say there's a very good chance of getting a clean sweep of all the key species anyway and there would be no need to go elsewhere anyway.