New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever take a black leopard?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen some pics of black leapards and I was wondering if anyone here has ever taken one. Seems like the ultimate trophy to me!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
If you want one, get one,die it black,walla you now have a black leopard.

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geoff

My understanding is that given enough time and luck you have a real chance of killing a black faze leopard in Ethiopia. They are not importable into the US.

I don't know anyone who has taken one. Perhaps Rich Elliot will post on this as he hunts Ethiopia.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've seen one in the Selous (some years ago) and I'm told they occur in parts of the KNP and certainly the taxidermists around Pietersburg have a few on display and I hunted with a Texan who had previously taken one in Ethiopia (which seems to produce an occasional more than most other places)

Must be a fantastic and very unusual trophy though!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While fishing in Botswana in the mid 90's, in broad daylight we had one come to the river and drink. Not a rifle near. Beautiful site. My wife spotted it first.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nassos of Ethiopia Rift Valley Safaris has one in his home in Addis Ababa that he hunted for himself.

He also guided a client to a black leopard.

My friend Sam Pancotto has shot some black leopards in Africa and Iran. But that was a long time ago.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I believe that Rich Elliott has posted a photo on these forums of Nassos Roussos' Ethiopian black leopard.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=650104905#650104905

Nassos with black leopard.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked one up at a strip club once----but that is another story Eeker

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quickshot, black couger?

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Saw a nice one in a trophy room down near Kingsville,TX a couple of years ago. But i don't remember where he took it at. Incredibly beautiful animals.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
There is a feline rescue ranch about 10 minutes from our shop and they have 2. They are still alive though. Both of them with pissy tempers. The cats seem to know what I'm thinking when I come to visit.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1263 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
So sorry, they actually have 3 cats.

http://www.bigcatcare.org/Cats.htm

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1263 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 2 black Leopards in the Bronx Zoo.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white north:
If you want one, get one,die it black,walla you now have a black leopard.

Probably the only way I will ever get one. I guess you could dye a mountain lion black, and mount it on a leopard form! Big Grin

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend had one here in Michigan and was forced to sell it to someone in Ohio. It was beautiful. I took some really good photos of it. You could see the rosetts under the black hairs. That was about 3 years ago/

Posts: 561 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When the Game Dept was reorganized back in the Communist days of Ethiopia, there were app. 750 confiscated leopard skins in the warehouse. They got permssion from CITES to market these skins. App. 20% were black. The high incident of melanistic phase is the leopard population in the WSW part of the country. This was our old elephant area and this is where the one in the picture came from. I saw one myself there one night when we were out spotlighting for serval. That was legal then. Still is but there isn't any quota for serval now so that's a moot point. I shot a black serval in that area. I've also seen black serval in the Omo Valley. As far as I know, no one has seen any melanistic phase cats in the Bale Mountains where the Mt. Nyala are hunted.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
In India black panthers (as they are called there) are found mostly in the south western hill forests where rainfall is over 100 inches a year. They are not heard of in the dryer parts of the country.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Another great trophy would be the Albino Bongo that was taken a few years back. I remember seeing a picture of it in the outfitters advertisement in Safari Magazine.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari sent me a pm and told me that the black leopards hide needed a cities permit to be sold. I guess I did not say in my last post that the black leopard is still alive and doing good! My mistake. If anybody wants to know there that big ol beautiful kitty is, I can get his address. He is well worth seeing.

Posts: 561 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you how much I'd like to see that animal!.......