Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Would you Shoot this Buffalo?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted
Good spread, but thin horns, not enough drop, small soft bosses. Not for me.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Redlander,

I can assure you once you see a mature bull with a well formed boss, these youngsters will look more like cows to you.

Here is an example of what a good bos should look like.

The character of these two heads are world apart.

Posts: 67463 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Nice Bull.
I put more importance in how the Buffs horns "look" than the spread. I like a big boss with thick horns, over skinny and long.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Please take this reply from someone who is now only dreaming of his first trip to Africa - I'm working on it though (got the gun). But, in my mind, that look in the last photo is exactly what I want hanging on my wall. I do not want some 12 year-old bull with broken off horns. Same as I don't want a 6 1/2 year-whitetail with a broken main beam.

I would listen to my PH though - as much I would like to pull the trigger. However, if he didn't come through with a better bull later on his tip would shrink considerably.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill C.
You will never go wrong with a Woodleigh soft and solid combo, they have been around for a long long time and thats because they simply work, as do the Northforks....and congratulations on your successes.

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Well, this one looks even better. I just hope that one day I get a chance at one even close to such a big brute. Thanks for the comparison photo.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote