New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selous L1
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have opinions on L1 in the selous for leopard?

Has it been overhunted recently? What are the chances of taking leopard and two representative buff in 16days?

How are plainsgame populations in L1, sable-eland-bushbuck-waterbuck???

Best regards;
Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
L1 is a very small concession and the game is in and out of it constantly. I hunted it many years ago and I shot some good buffalo on it. Hartebeest, and Impala, It didn't have but one road in it at that time and all hunting was on foot. We checked the roads every day and if no tracks went in to it, it was pretty much a waste of time, if tracks went in we usually walked them down if they didn't circle out..I think that is a fair assesment,, Other than that I couldn't say and like I said that was over 10 years ago..

Who has that concession now and if they do I think they would have K2 and/or K3, maybe Lu 3 and/or Lu4, maybe???....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Garry Hopkins is hunting there and offering very good prices. I don't think he owns the concession rights. K1 & K2 are Bundu now if I rember correctly.

I hunted accross the river in K1&2 and it was great. Just wondering how L1 is.

Thanks;
Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett, Donnie Bowers has the lease on L1 and is either leasing or co-oping some of the adjoining areas. Our ph there in 05 was Keith Hakes and according to him L1 is 110,000 ac. There were four of us in camp for 7 days and we all took representative buff and saw some great blue bulls which are underhunted in this area because most are on hunts too short for eland. Hartebeest are everywhere,Impala are readily available as are waterbuck. Lion are there in good numbers as we saw them several times along with elephant . We didn't see leopard but were not looking either. I really liked L1 the camp was well located and the staff competent and service good enough that I can't wait to return.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Adrian,

What time of year did you go??

Best regards;
Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Gary Hopkins and Don Bowers are in a joint venture. I don't know who owns what rights, but I think there is some history there going back to at least 2000. I hunted with Gary then in Zim, and if I remember correctly he was doing the hunts for Dingwall Safaris as well as ZimAfrica back then. I may be incorrect, but I think that is fairly accurate statement. Gary was great for me, he busted his hump everyday, we generally hunted through lunch and he never complained. I don't know much about the specifics of the L1 in the Selous, but I would hunt again with Gary, and feel confident if there is game to be had you'll be successful.

Len Hawkins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett, In 2005 we hunted L1 from August 20 thru 30. The flight from Dar dropped us off at a dirt strip in K3 and we drove on to camp. The concession is subleased from a man named Leakey or something similar who has some of the adjacent areas and owns the plane used to access the camps. The camp itself is on the Luhombero river which flows nicely is clear and scenic. If you do this hunt consider staying two nights at the Sea Cliff as my hunting buddy's rifle didn't arrive when we did and he used a loaner @ no charge. There were many other passengers missing luggage also and the extra day might allow your rifle to catch up.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
K1 and K2 are owned by Rungwa Game Safaris owned by Harpreet Brar. There is no tie to Bundu.
quote:
Originally posted by Brett:
Ray,

Garry Hopkins is hunting there and offering very good prices. I don't think he owns the concession rights. K1 & K2 are Bundu now if I rember correctly.

I hunted accross the river in K1&2 and it was great. Just wondering how L1 is.

Thanks;
Brett

Posts: 11 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett:'ll let you know in a few weeks...I'm hunting with Hopkins in L1 first weeks of August.

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garry works for Don managing both his TZ and Zim operations. Don/garry still have the ranch in Zim (Dingwall) Am hunting there next week. Don is in partnership with liky in this and three other units.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Licky Abdulla and he has a number of concessions in Tanzania. He lives in Dar es Salaam, and is VIP there. He has been around the Safari industry for many years...He has done me some good favors in the past. He has a booking agent in the USA that post here, and has hired most of the PHs in Tanzania at one time or another.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote