Find
Notify
Tools

Partitions for Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Anyone used them lately? Found a cache of .416 factory ammo so loaded and relatively inexpensive.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
According to some posters you are over-gunned with a 318 WR for buffalo. Partitions/416? Too much gun.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russel,

I bet they would be about perfect.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Personally, I shot two Cameroon savannah buffs with 375 Nosler Partitions. Both are dead, so I guess they worked, but neither died very quickly eventhough they were shot pretty well. For cape buffalo, they would not be my first choice.

Of course, I also think solids are THE proper medicine for buffalo, so what do I know.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Personally, I shot two Cameroon savannah buffs with 375 Nosler Partitions. Both are dead, so I guess they worked, but neither died very quickly eventhough they were shot pretty well. For cape buffalo, they would not be my first choice.

I killed two buffalo in Zimbabwe with 300gr partitions in my 375. Both buffalo dies very quickly, the first was a one shot kill. Neither went more than 20 yards.

But, I did severe the aorta on both buffalo(lucky shooting), and neither partition penetrated the off side ribcage. On both buff they gave the absolute minimum penetration to be sufficient.

I agree with Will, "For cape buffalo, they would not be my first choice."

But the 416 partition might perform better.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Ihave taken Cape buffalo with 300 gr Nosler Partitions from a 375 H&H with one shot kills, and the average distance was about 30 yds travel before dropping. They will work fine in your .416

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Don't use them...I just got back from a meeting with the Cape Buffalo Union...they were talking about how people who use Nosler Partitions are are only as tough as little girls iwho wear pink dresses...which they said that was the same as those other guys wearing shorts, sandals, and sleeveless shirts.

Anyway they issued an official memo that from now on any buffalo bull that goes down from a single Nosler partition gets his journeyman's card revoked.

So, if I was you I wouldn't use them.

Of course...that probably goes against the 1,000 buffalo that have been killed with 400 grn 416 Nosler Partitions...but I am just sayin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
Anything is better than nothing.

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of a .458 diameter 500 grain Partition recovered from a buffalo. Can't ask for better performance. In the heavier calibers they penetrate as well or better than Barnes X of the same weight.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

Of course, I also think solids are THE proper medicine for buffalo, so what do I know.

You are not alone, so did Harry Selby for everything in his famous 416 Rigby.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465H&H
duck and cover you mentioned the holy icon Barnes Bullets and did not praise them. Dam did you not know that telling the truth about barnes bullets is forbidden here??
I posted a note about a barnes failure and you would have thought I called someone's baby ugly and retarded. animal animal animal
partitioned bullets have worked very well for me in the pasted

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Ray Atkinson used to rave about .416 wit partitions on buff. I used Trophy Bonded on mine and it worked perfectly found the mushroom in a lump just under the far side skin. Popped it out like a big zit (after it passed completely thru a shoulder and heart and lungs).
Brian van Blerk had me put a finisher in him, cause he was still barely breathing. For all purposes it was a one shot kill with insurance. When I here people trash talk about partitions and trophy bondeds I just shake my head.

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I killed two buffalo in Zimbabwe with 300gr partitions in my 375. Both buffalo dies very quickly, the first was a one shot kill. Neither went more than 20 yards.

But, I did severe the aorta on both buffalo(lucky shooting), and neither partition penetrated the off side ribcage. On both buff they gave the absolute minimum penetration to be sufficient.

Yes, just as on a whitetail, that off-side ribcage is the most vital portion of a buffalo. Fail to penetrate it and it doesn't matter what portion of the animal's heart and lungs are turned to mush by the expanding bullet. Without that hole in the offside the buffalo will just keep on going and probably will eventually recover.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek
please explain to me how a buffalo or any other animal can live after being shot through the lungs and heart?????? shocker as you say turned to mush.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Lets talk about Nosler Partitions penetration and see how they do.

Admittedly this is only ONE buffalo and only One shot but does indicate something about not only the Partition bullet, but the 375 H&H cartridge as well. The same from any other angle may not do the same, however.

I shot a Cape Buffalo from about 60yds. He was standing faceing me slightly quartered to HIS left. I placed the 300gr Nosler Partition bullet just in the crease where the shoulder meets the base of the neck, about 10" above the brisket, and aimed for the LEFT hind leg through the body.

The bullet tore the frontal lobe of his right lung, took the arteries off the top of the heart, cought just a little of the back lobe of his left lung, went through about 12" of the grass filled pounch and ended up just under the hide just in front of the left hind leg. He turned to run with several other bulls not giving me a easy follow-up shot before he was out of sight around some thick bush, where we found him dead no more than 30 yds from where he was standing when I fired the shot. The penetration of that bullet was around four feet, and was all that was needed! Consiquintly his Union card was pulled! Smiler

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should add that NPs are my favorite all around bullet. I reckon I've killed more animals with NPs than I have with solids, a-frames, bear claws, and all others combined. Three weeks ago today, I shot a leopard and two impala with, you guessed it, Nosler Partitions. I bet I have more than 500 rounds of 270Win, 300WM, 300WSM, 338WM and 375HH sitting in the closet, all loaded with NPs.

If buffalo were more reliable and could be counted on to stand broadside in the wide open, I'd be more inclined to shoot them with a NP, especially in a 416.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again we are asked if nosler partitions will kill a buffalo with the answer being obviously yes.

The question should be, would nosler partitions be your choice for hunting buffalo? That answer is not so obvious.

Using enough gun includes using enough bullet.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partition should work well on buffalo, just like the Swift A Frames.

But, one should pick his shot with these two, and avoid any extreme angling shots.

Would I use them if I had a choice?

Not really, as I have learnt that the best bullets for buffalo are those made of copper, without any lead.

Using bullets like the Barnes X or our own Walterhogs, it makes no difference what angle the buffalo is presenting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68728 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, I've used the NP and the TBBCs in 375 and my experience is that the TBBCs are tougher and penetrate better. Your thoughts?

I am a lifelong NP fan however....

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my experience with barnes on buffalo is very limited but when the bullet turned sharply left and when under the shoulder. from a frontal shot and the bullet failed totally. i for one will use another bullet and not barnes again. Walter hog bullets do look good to me Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to discover the North Fork bullets before my Safari. The 370 grain soft and same weight solid proved perfect with my .416 Rem. They were more acccurate than any of the other softs I tried including Partitions, Swift A-Frames, Speer. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU i HAVE BEEN TRYING TO REMEMBER THE NAME NORTH FORK

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

Yes, just as on a whitetail, that off-side ribcage is the most vital portion of a buffalo. Fail to penetrate it and it doesn't matter what portion of the animal's heart and lungs are turned to mush by the expanding bullet. Without that hole in the offside the buffalo will just keep on going and probably will eventually recover.

Cute Stonecreek....
Big Grin

My point was that the the penetration on my two buffalo was barely sufficient. Both were broadside shots. A broadside shot puts less strain on the bullet than any other angle. If you could always count on a broadside shot the partition would be fine. For less ideal angles the partition would not be my first choice.

I don't need a bullet to exit, but if it stays inside the chest cavity on a broadside shot I take it as a clear indication the bullet may not reach the heart and lungs on a poorer angle.

But, to each his own.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i saw 2 buffalo shot with a 375 with 300 grain nosler partitions and both were wounded one got away the other followed up and shot with 470. the bullet on the one that was killed did a very poor job shot on the point of shoilder from frontal angle was to much for it and it did not do the job. i can't say on the buff that got away but never to found i can guess either bad shot or the same. The other 2 buffalo taken were shot with a barnes triple shock 270 grain full penetration dead in 20 yds. the other was shot with a 404 with gs customs and was dead in 20 yards.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I was lucky enough to discover the North Fork bullets before my Safari. The 370 grain soft and same weight solid proved perfect with my .416 Rem. They were more acccurate than any of the other softs I tried including Partitions, Swift A-Frames, Speer. Good shooting.

+1tu2 A very good bullet!

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gerryb:
i saw 2 buffalo shot with a 375 with 300 grain nosler partitions and both were wounded one got away the other followed up and shot with 470. the bullet on the one that was killed did a very poor job shot on the point of shoilder from frontal angle was to much for it and it did not do the job. i can't say on the buff that got away but never to found i can guess either bad shot or the same. The other 2 buffalo taken were shot with a barnes triple shock 270 grain full penetration dead in 20 yds. the other was shot with a 404 with gs customs and was dead in 20 yards.

With all due respect your report above doesn't give enough detail to make much of a decision on what happened. The one that got away tells us nothing. I assume you found blood so it was wounded but without knowing where it was hit we still know nothing. The shoulder joint on a buff is big and hard enough to stop any soft point bullet if hit right. Would there have been any difference if a Barnes X was used? We can only guess. The question wasn't about Barnes or GS Custom bullets but Partitions. I believe that if those two buffs had been shot in the same place with Partitions that they would be just as dead.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am merely trying to learn about bullets and buffalo, as it seems common talk.

It seems like a solid would create alot of damage if shot in the shoulder due to fragmenting bone and other pieces. By leaving an exit wound it would be much easier to follow if necessary. However, that solid may wound another buff if in a group.

The expanding bullet- I am guessing the advantage is the increased surface area? By tripling or quadrupling the surface area it seems like it would do that many more times of damage.

Anyone care to share the logic behind controlled expansion vs partition tips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i agree as my post said there is no info on the buffalo that got away i said either a bad shot which is most likely or bullet failure less likely. i was stating that 4 buffalo were shot and giving the results and yes i have shot buffalo on the point of the shoulder with the other bullets mentioned and they smashed right through. It was not a comparison it was what happened with nosler partitions. Personally i think the partitions are a great bullet and have killed many animals with them but in this incident i have to say they were less than stellar

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm. Just my 2 cents worth. 1 buffallo bull + one 300 375 np = ran 30-40 yrds J hooked around in thick stuff. fell over dead.

I think another 100 grains bullet weight and 416 calliber and it should all be good. Especialy since you have lots and lots of experience with shooting buffallo. I think you would put those 416's where they belong and we all know that bullet placement is 90% of the equation.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 yuck Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Partition used to be my favorite bullet. Then I found TBBC in my 375 H&H & 416 Rigby - I thought they worked better. In my 300's and 264 Win, I found the Acubond and thought they worked just as good and were a bit more accurate. So now I use TBBC on Buff and Acubonds on nearly everything else.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice. It will hammer the black devil.

Cannot wait to here your buff stories. When are you leaving for Africa?

dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you would put those 416's where they belong and we all know that bullet placement is 90% of the equation.

Totally agree Ernest... btw, the ammo is at Don's. He is selling out the Winchester factory .416 Rigby softs and solids... bought 4 boxes. You should head over and take a look!

quote:
When are you leaving for Africa?

Dale,
Can't get enough hot weather hunting! Almost the same group, same outfitter, same time! November in the Omay with Martin Pieters...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I made poor shots with the solids that were recommended to me before I went on my first Buff hunt (John Greeff ended up being my freelance PH). We were watching dust fly on the far side of the Buff wondering if I could stand the excitement! I put three thru him and John put a shot in him with his WR .470 since he was running toward Botswanna less than two clicks away. He stopped, very sick, bleeding from the mouth and nose at about 400 meters. We walked up behind him, he paid no attention. I put another solid in to him from 10 or 12 yds....wheeled and made a feeble attempt at a charge and went down around five or six feet from my feet after John put another round in his neck....I still had to circle and put one between his shoulder blades to finish it.
Never used a solid on Buff since and had two go down on the shot and the others waiting to be killed in a relatively short distance.....the first Buff???? My first three shots were all grouped within six inches....he had no heart and dang near no lungs when we opened him.
I shoot a Ruger .416 , been using Hornady 400gr RN's but switch9ng to TSX 350 gr.
Solids are for Ele's and Hippo in the water.

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom In Tennessee:
I guess I made poor shots with the solids that were recommended to me before I went on my first Buff hunt (John Greeff ended up being my freelance PH). We were watching dust fly on the far side of the Buff wondering if I could stand the excitement! I put three thru him and John put a shot in him with his WR .470 since he was running toward Botswanna less than two clicks away. He stopped, very sick, bleeding from the mouth and nose at about 400 meters. We walked up behind him, he paid no attention. I put another solid in to him from 10 or 12 yds....wheeled and made a feeble attempt at a charge and went down around five or six feet from my feet after John put another round in his neck....I still had to circle and put one between his shoulder blades to finish it.
Never used a solid on Buff since and had two go down on the shot and the others waiting to be killed in a relatively short distance.....the first Buff???? My first three shots were all grouped within six inches....he had no heart and dang near no lungs when we opened him.
I shoot a Ruger .416 , been using Hornady 400gr RN's but switch9ng to TSX 350 gr.

Hi Tom, welcome along.
To your last sentence I can only say "really".

You should tell Harry Selby that, for after his 470 double was damaged early in his career in 1949 he used his Mauser 416 Rigby on everything after that, eventually giving up the poor performing Kynoch soft nose bullets and using solids. He reckoned they even rolled lions pretty well. His last PH duties were in the early 2000s. Of anyone in our modern times in Africa, I guess Harry's wisdom would be difficult to question by mere mortals as ourselves. Still debate does no harm.

For me and my experience on the big asiatic buffalo, solids unquestionably did the job. Then again collateral damage was not an issue when shooting lone bulls and when I get to Africa, if the PH says to use SP, I will follow his advice and save the solid for him if he dares to shoot as BU because the soft didn't do the job. rotflmo

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom In Tennessee:

Hi Tom, welcome along.
To your last sentence I can only say "really".

You should tell Harry Selby that, for after his 470 double was damaged early in his career in 1949 he used his Mauser 416 Rigby on everything after that, eventually giving up the poor performing Kynoch soft nose bullets and using solids. He reckoned they even rolled lions pretty well. His last PH duties were in the early 2000s. Of anyone in our modern times in Africa, I guess Harry's wisdom would be difficult to question by mere mortals as ourselves. Still debate does no harm.

For me and my experience on the big asiatic buffalo, solids unquestionably did the job. Then again collateral damage was not an issue when shooting lone bulls and when I get to Africa, if the PH says to use SP, I will follow his advice and save the solid for him if he dares to shoot as BU because the soft didn't do the job. rotflmo

There is a big difference in what a PH wants and needs from a buff bullet compared to a client's need. All of his shots will be follow up shots were penetration is more important than tissue damage. For the client making the initial shot tissue damage is much more important.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When are you leaving for Africa?

Dale,
Can't get enough hot weather hunting! Almost the same group, same outfitter, same time! November in the Omay with Martin Pieters...[/QUOTE]

Russel Don't worry about what ammo to use... If you are going with the same crew The three of you can just stare at the poor beast and simply ugly it to death. In fact if you use this technique I recommend only two of you at a time. All three of you will cause too much meat damage. Won't be anything left .

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my thoughts on a soft then a solid are that you want all the shock energy to be absorbed by the animal to cause as much nerve and tissue damage as well as the most amount of hydraulic shock (blood lost)as you can get with the first shot(especially if your a ph guiding someone who you don't really know the first time out)then if you. and you will need open up with solids to finish the job.
some of the newer solids are designed to help with the massive damage that is needed with the concave designs that are out there even though it's a solid it opens up a larger shock channel. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me rotflmo

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are going with the same crew The three of you can just stare at the poor beast and simply ugly it to death.

Hah! Then join our merry band! With your mug on the menu as well we can surely take down elephant!!!

We won't even have to debate shot placement! Still angry about that beer aren't we?

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If you are going with the same crew The three of you can just stare at the poor beast and simply ugly it to death.

Hah! Then join our merry band! With your mug on the menu as well we can surely take down elephant!!!

After attending the Hoot and Shoot some of the mugs I saw could cause damage no taxidermist could repair.