New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 74 in Africa.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know there are calibre requirments in some countries in Africa for dangerous game, but would they let you use a classic like a 9.3 x74 double or in double rifle drilling if you begged?

To put it a different way are these requirements actual laws, guidleines, policy ?

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
In most African countries the law either states a minimum calibre of .375 H&H or a ballistic minimum of a 300 grain bullet & 4000 ft lbs at the muzzle, which translates to the same thing.

The calibre you're talking about would do the job on most species (assuming good bullet choice and shot placement) but not legally....... having said that, I've never known a game guard etc to check a calibre or a customs man to ask what you plan to hunt with your particular rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
What about when people use muzzleloaders and pistols or you hear of someone's wife using a 7x57 say to take a buff.
Are these different countries from the above law or specially arranged? or like you said no one really cares?

Karl.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one really cares, until you flub up the job. Than it will be your Ass and the PH's Ass.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, if you flub up, you better have $50.00 in your pocket...

You can use it in Tanzania and never be questioned..I think the new Zimbabwe would allow it but its close to illegal, I think it can be handloaded to legal, I know the 9.3x62 can be handloaded to legal...but again who's checking? nobody.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On several trips my partner and I were never asked what we were using. We had a club 458Win along just in case, but we never used it.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it would indeed PC. Especially if there was a shotgun barrel underneath holding 1 7/8oz of buckshot.
I still haven't got a price yet off the guys..

Karl.