Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Matetsi June...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted
I will be hunting Cape buffalo in Matetsi Region in June I have only hunted RSA. I have harvested lots of different plains game in RSA on 3 previous trips. What species are different in the area that I should look forward to? Example I have a Limpopo bush buck and want a Chobe..What others do you think I should prioritize? Other region suggestions?

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider Sable in Matetsi if the squatters have not poached them out.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Consider Sable in Matetsi if the squatters have not poached them out.

PLEASE tell me squatters have not invaded Matetsi?

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BearCountry953

I don't know that Matetsi has any particularly differnet or unique species but sable, Livingstone's eland and the diminutive steenbok can be good there. Be foreworned as I don't think you'll find game desities anything like what you experienced in RSA.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
what unit and outfitter in matetsi , blocks vary and some species are better in some blocks than others ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark...

Ivan using a South African Outfitter..yeah I know..will be near Unit 4

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted #4 and Deka last July. Sable were non existant. Never saw one in 12 days. We didn't see any buffalo either but we were not looking for them. We did see tracks. The good news is all other game in the area was plentiful. We shot klipspringer, baboon, duiker, widcat, a 58 1/2" kudu and could have shot several more in that class. My buddy took croc, waterbuck, kudu, duiker, klipspringer, eland, impala, zebra, jackle, wildcat, civit and more. We also saw lion, wild dogs heyena leopard and rhino tracks

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom love the small cats...I only have A Caracal. So the wildcat..civit sound great. I also need a Klipspringer. A Heyena would be amazing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sable was a disapointment for me but we did have a great time and I would go back. The outfitters there have been thru a lot but they are putting in a lot of effort to build it up again. I am very hopeful for their future. You should have a good safari.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BearCountry953:
Thanks Mark...

Ivan using a South African Outfitter..yeah I know..will be near Unit 4

I have a sincere question for my own curiosity. Why would you book with a South African outfitter to hunt in Zimbabwe? By law you have to use a Zimbabwean PH on the hunt. There are good Zim operators in Matetsi One and Three.

What is meant by "near" unit four?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and ask enough questions to be sure you are not violating the Lacey Act. If a name on the banned list is involved, you will be lucky if the worst that happens is a loss of your trophies. In Zimbabwe I would only consider the best of the best outfitters the way that country is now. I personally would try to have my deposit in a US escrow rather than wire it ahead of time. Sometimes the best deal isn't the best deal.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People could comment on the toothless nature of the Zim. Professional hunters association, or parks people and the politicians all the way down to the guy on the ground. Zimbabwe is accelerating into a modern version of the Lado Enclave. This is drawing an increasingly larger number of get rich quick pirates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys hunting Private land with a proper company, but thanks for looking out for me. No need to send a deposit I will just hand it to him. "What is meant by "near" unit four?"
is a geographic location near unit 4 but not in unit 4.
Now back to any information on things not to miss in the area, from the opinion of the hunter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bearcountry953

I would like to know who you have booked with?

Matetsi is split into the private land section and the actual concessions, there is a huge difference between the two areas. The private land section is being run by the local villagers, and although the quantity of game is less than on the concessions there are Sable, Waterbuck, Kudu, Klipsringer, Grysbok, Impala Warthog, Giraffe and the occasional Buffalo that wanders through and Lion and Leopard that are occasional visitors. Booking through a South African you should be aware that by law you will have to have a Zimbabwean Professional Hunter in charge of the safari.

The concession areas are far superior in terms of quantity and quality of game plus they are devoid of villages and people.

Hope you have a good hunt.

Posts: 80 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 March 2012Reply With Quote