New
Find
Notify
Tools

journals
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for a recommendation on game hide bound journals. The one I was using in Africa has been chewed up by a dog. Thankfully the pages were not damaged, only the hardcover.

Oh well, I wanted a better journal anyway.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
These folks can make one out of your own game hides. I haven't had anything done by them but there work looks pretty good on their website.

Waldenbork

Dick Murray should be able to make a nice one for you too.

Murraycustomleather

Hope that helps,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links. We'll see what they can do.

I would like to do one in elephant but of course, I didn't get any hide from my tuskless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI offers one as well.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waldenbork's reply was "We offer a loose leaf 3-ring binder journal for $500 or a 1/2 legal
size notebook for $220." That cost did not include the skin which they do not provide. That seems pretty high to me.

I have not contacted Murray yet. It isn't listed on their site but he would probably do it. At what cost I don't know.

I checked on the SCI website but didn't see a journal besides what is related to their recordkeeping. Can you point me to it? Thanks.

I don't journal often but I have found myself doing it consistently on important hunts and days afield. I'm still young but my memory doesn't come with a guarantee!

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
These are pricy, but very nice. http://www.johnbanovich.com/

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Certainly not as impressive as a real hunting journal, but I am using a simple leather covered journal that you can pick up at Barnes and Noble. They have a bunch of styles, sizes, etc. Mine ran under $20.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I am using a simple leather covered journal that you can pick up at Barnes and Noble. They have a bunch of styles, sizes, etc. Mine ran under $20.

That sounds foolproof.
I had thought about getting one of those nice, pricey models - Filson sells them and their stuff is hard to beat, but then I thought about the price again - I think Mr. Mines has the right plan.

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
You may want to look at Kevins. They have a nice journal and sell replacement pages.

Here is a link
http://www.kevinscatalog.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CLLJ

A little pricy but I do like the look.

Regards,

Mario

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Then again in this modern world we live in, you could always opt for the online journal -
http://www.thoughts.com/?gclid=CK_s0oz_rI0CFQVuIgodhxoSvw

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional info. I like the one from Kevin's the best with its leather lacing, flap, etc. If I could get that style in African leather like hippo or ele it would be about perfect.

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
you can get a journal then use a good epoxy to glue on some zebra skin or other skin of your choice. Have your taxidermist save some scrap skins for you from your animals. Another idea is to cut out a section of skin in the shape of Africa and glue this to the cover of your journal.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote