THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    .375 H&H bullets selection and other questions

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H bullets selection and other questions
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen; I am just getting ready to do some reloading for the .375 H&H.

My immediate concern relates to the bullets I have on hand; the 235 grain TSX and 350 grain TSX what are your suggestions are far as crimping?

My thoughts are to use the 235 grain for my local hunting and work up a load for cape buffalo to be used on my next and final trip to Africa which likely be 2020 or 2021.

Is the 250 grain TTSX a better choice for a deer bullet than the 235 grain TSX?

My intermediate concern is selecting a bullet for Cape Buffalo.

I have checked out getting the 380 grain Rhino bullet from South Africa, mainly due to Kevin Robertson's comments in his Perfect Shot 2 book. They are expensive mainly due to shipping to Canada and there is no real cost advantage to doing a bulk buy. Despite the cost the comments from Robertson are intriguing. Any thoughts or comments?

One of the PHs I am investigating suggested against using the 350 grain Barnes TSX as he had a case of the bullet travelling through a buffalo and killing another beyond, obviously creating a problem.

What are your thoughts on the 350 grain Woodleighs, 300 grain TSX, A-Frame, Woodleighs or 270 grain TSX for use as expanding bullets for Cape Buffalo?

For solids what are your thoughts on the Woodleigh Hydrostatically stabilised bullets? I know the Barnes banded solids will work well. If I can get them to a correct point of impact would the 350 grain TSX be suitable as a deep penetrating follow up bullet or would you stick with solids?

My easy access to bullets are limited to the Barnes, Swifts and Woodleighs.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

George

One of Us
Picture of DLJ
posted Hide Post
See the "Bullet selection please" post by stuey lower on this page. I crimp all my .375 loads. The Lee crimp die is awesome. No worries about rounds in the stack getting crushed by recoil.

Posts: 36 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 01 October 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 235 gr TSX with great success in Africa. But, I have never tried it on Cape Buffalo. I would think that the 270 TSX would be a much better choice for that and have heard from some of my PH friends that it works quite well.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1113 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 350 gr. Woodleigh in both soft and solid is an outstanding bullet...For Africa I would stick with no bullet lighter than premium 300 gr. for all game, I prefer the 350 Woodleigh for buffalo and DG...solids for elephant and Hippo, optional for Buffalo, softs for Lion, Leopard and plainsgame. Keep it simple...

A 300 gr GS Customs monolithic HVHP is good for anything for the most part, except perhaps for elephant.they sure are big..

The 235 monolithic should be good for deer,black bear, elk, moose, and perhaps the big Brown bears and POlar bear of Alaska and the artic, bug not my choice as I like heavy for caliber on big animals.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You are making a mountain out of mole hill!

I would just stick to a good 300 grain and be done wity it.

We have been doing that for so many years, and it works on anything from duikers to elephants.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Like Saeed said, it's not that complicated. I used the 300 grain TSX for all my hunting in Africa from Steenbok to Buffalo, up until 2016. The 300 grain TSX works great on buffalo but a Texas heart shot will not make it completely through a buff.

100 yard Texas heart shot, we found the bullet in the stomach contents.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The 350gr Woodleighs worked very well in my 375 on buff. I think I got the suggestion from Ray. Both the PP's and solids were used loaded to 2400fps with a stout load of RL-15 and were very accurate.
That being said, I would load the 300gr TSX for anything in the future.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
just watch that those long mono 350grn Xbullets will work with your barrel twist.
Although I have never been a fan of the BarnesX, I must say in 300grn 375 they are the bomb on Buffalo!

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GRF:
Gentlemen; I am just getting ready to do some reloading for the .375 H&H.

My immediate concern relates to the bullets I have on hand; the 235 grain TSX and 350 grain TSX what are your suggestions are far as crimping?

My thoughts are to use the 235 grain for my local hunting and work up a load for cape buffalo to be used on my next and final trip to Africa which likely be 2020 or 2021.

Is the 250 grain TTSX a better choice for a deer bullet than the 235 grain TSX?

My intermediate concern is selecting a bullet for Cape Buffalo.

I have checked out getting the 380 grain Rhino bullet from South Africa, mainly due to Kevin Robertson's comments in his Perfect Shot 2 book. They are expensive mainly due to shipping to Canada and there is no real cost advantage to doing a bulk buy. Despite the cost the comments from Robertson are intriguing. Any thoughts or comments?

One of the PHs I am investigating suggested against using the 350 grain Barnes TSX as he had a case of the bullet travelling through a buffalo and killing another beyond, obviously creating a problem.

What are your thoughts on the 350 grain Woodleighs, 300 grain TSX, A-Frame, Woodleighs or 270 grain TSX for use as expanding bullets for Cape Buffalo?

For solids what are your thoughts on the Woodleigh Hydrostatically stabilised bullets? I know the Barnes banded solids will work well. If I can get them to a correct point of impact would the 350 grain TSX be suitable as a deep penetrating follow up bullet or would you stick with solids?

My easy access to bullets are limited to the Barnes, Swifts and Woodleighs.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

George

You want the perfect .375 bullet for buffalo? That's simple.

Do our host Saeed a favor of some sort significant enough to be gifted some Walterhogs, they are purpose-designed buffalo seeking bullets Wink

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10395 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Crimping is fine; however, select a powder that will result in seating whatever bullet to a compressed or semi-compressed overall length. Keeps the bullet from being driven into the case in the magazine under repeated recoil. (You do NOT want to experience the result!)
I have a .375 Weatherby and the 380-grain RHINO is too long for anything but W 760 (H414). I will shoot, instead, the 250-grain TTSX over RL-15 in August.
(You really have too many questions for one post.)

The problem with 235-grainers is the powders run out of gas at longer ranges -- 4064, 4320, etc. Only RL-15 keeps things going, but accuracy may suffer past 200 yards.
With 250-grainers I basically have a +3" @ 100 yards to -3" @ 300 yards load and can just hold the same aimpoint on a red hartebeeste regardless of distance.

350-grain Woodleighs give you far more leeway in loading -- IMR 4831 works for me.. The cannelure and overall shape make crimping a cinch, and the "soft" will help keep you from hitting more than one buffalo in herd situations. Why would you not wait to shoot until sure the path beyond your target buffalo is clear?

YMMV

Barry

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
300 grain is the bullet you seek - Saeed is right on the money as usual here.

I have shot several buffalo with the 300 TSX. All were collected, none had any pass thru. Shots were from distances of ten feet into the frontal chest ( heart ), to 90 yards into the shoulder/heart area.

One very telling thing - I did put two insurance shots into a downed buffalo from point blank range, shooting from the spine area, down thru the heart chest area into the brisket. Both bullets were removed from just under the skin on the exit side. I'd be pretty confident in the penetrating power of these bullets, without over penetration of the solids.

375 loaded with 300 TSX is just a good all around round, you can reliably shoot it past 400 yards with good expansion and solid results.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both Cape Buffalo and Water Buffalo with the 375 HH using 300 grain TSX. In ALL cases the bullets acted as they should.
I have also used the old Barnes 3ut HH solids which hit to same point of aim. They also performed with perfect results. If it were me I would use the TSX and have some solids for follow ups if needed. I have used the 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott, 450 NE and I find more and more the 375 HH is a caliber that outperforms for its bullet weight. Just my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find out what your rifle shoots best.
The .375 is so versatile try out all different loads.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If the 270 grain TTSX will shoot well out of your gun, shoot them. I have been lucky that since the first X bullet was released, my 375 has shot sub MOA with 270 grain. It has taken Cape Buffalo, literal truckloads of plains game, its been to Europe for Brown Bear and even to Europe for Deer species when Bear wasn’t on the list.

I love the 270 TTSX. Try it. Email me if you want load data. Mine seems to shoot accurate groups through the entire range of powder weights.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
While there are plenty of great bullets in various weights out there in .375 these days, I would think that the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of Buffalo and elephants that have been successfully shot with 300 grain .375 bullets are testament that a good quality 300 grain bullet is 'plenty good enough'.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Cutting Edge Bullets. Their solids have a 65% of bullet diameter meplat for a proven straight line penetration. Their raptors are proven buffalo killers too. I like a solid for the first shot on buffalo.
NorthFork are excellent too.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote